Used 1998 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

First car, never forgotten
By javamonsters

1998 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I bought this car off Craigslist for 1,700 and... It's worth it. Being a fist car and a manual transmission I didn't know how to drive one. i burned the clutch up learning (my fault) since i know a really cheap retired Saab mechanic i only paid 650$ (without slave cylinder replacement) runs great burns no oil i recently put new control arms in it because it shakes when driving due to accident. the top leaks really bad it needs a new one its 5 years old. the top motor has been replaced by previous owner apparently a big problem with the 1998's. other than that i have little problems the driver window wobbles a/c doesn't work and doors lock randomly. Sucks they don't make them any more.

Convertible good sounding speakers 5 speed power for a 4 cylinder that feels like a 6 leather seats 5 disk cd in trunk the clock

stronger top motor a/c knobs break too often more knee room for driver

4th saab
By michaelst

1998 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

its a great car i had a 20th avn ed 900s T n now i hava 2.3 900s great cars 86 on the 2.0lt turbo was so powerful 80-130 was fun too drive

gas tank size lets u go 600miles a tank..

I love my Saab
By My Saab Story

1998 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

Bought my Saab in 1998, and have refused to replace it, no matter how dinged up it has gotten. I feel incredibly safe in it... it is built like a truck. And, for all its battle scars getting me around all these years. it is still my beautiful, copper-colored Saab. It has needed very few repairs, and when they have been needed I learned early it is best NOT to take it a Saab dealership. One problem is only place to put the coffee is in one coffee slot right over the transmission. Went to Sweden a few years ago and recognized first hand they drink very little coffee.

Color, body shape, sturdiness.

Fix the blind spot on the driver's left side and put in some real coffee holders!

Awesome car! Remember your maintanance!
By koolcat

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

These are great , fun cars to own. The marriage between Saab and GM did wonders for the brand. As with any luxury/sport vehicle maintenance is key. These cars require it. Let's face it if you wanted low maintenance get a Kia/Honda/Toyota and blend with the crowd. The fun factor plus the awesome aftermarket support makes owning a Saab fun. I have 180,000 miles on mine, but I change the oil 3000 or less and keep meticulous service records. I spend about 500-1000 a year just to keep mine purring like a kitten!

Styling, speed.

Too much plastic. More metal please!

Reliable, fun and even practical
By GoDucks

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I've never had any engine and/or related mechanical problems. The car, even though it's a convertible, has a quieter interior than my Chevy Blazer. I like the four seats, and the back even folds-down to expose a cargo hole into the truck. Much more practical than a miata, S2000, etc. I have carried skis, and 8' pieces of lumber inside my convertible! The bad: the automatic climate control system uses a little fan to sense the inside temperature; that little fan frequently rattles, which can be annoying. The mechanics of the convertible top can be touchy -- $500 in repairs over the last 5 years. Overall good car. EXCELLENT value for money.

Heated seats, great sound system, fold down back seat.

Headlight burn out every 6 months, regardless of the "quality" of bulb I buy.