1998 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
First car, never forgotten
By javamonsters on 06/14/12 14:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I bought this car off Craigslist for 1,700 and... It's worth it. Being a fist car and a manual transmission I didn't know how to drive one. i burned the clutch up learning (my fault) since i know a really cheap retired Saab mechanic i only paid 650$ (without slave cylinder replacement) runs great burns no oil i recently put new control arms in it because it shakes when driving due to accident. the top leaks really bad it needs a new one its 5 years old. the top motor has been replaced by previous owner apparently a big problem with the 1998's. other than that i have little problems the driver window wobbles a/c doesn't work and doors lock randomly. Sucks they don't make them any more.

4th saab
By michaelst on 12/15/10 16:29 PM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

its a great car i had a 20th avn ed 900s T n now i hava 2.3 900s great cars 86 on the 2.0lt turbo was so powerful 80-130 was fun too drive

I love my Saab
By My Saab Story on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

Bought my Saab in 1998, and have refused to replace it, no matter how dinged up it has gotten. I feel incredibly safe in it... it is built like a truck. And, for all its battle scars getting me around all these years. it is still my beautiful, copper-colored Saab. It has needed very few repairs, and when they have been needed I learned early it is best NOT to take it a Saab dealership. One problem is only place to put the coffee is in one coffee slot right over the transmission. Went to Sweden a few years ago and recognized first hand they drink very little coffee.

Awesome car! Remember your maintanance!
By koolcat on 08/10/09 07:07 AM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

These are great , fun cars to own. The marriage between Saab and GM did wonders for the brand. As with any luxury/sport vehicle maintenance is key. These cars require it. Let's face it if you wanted low maintenance get a Kia/Honda/Toyota and blend with the crowd. The fun factor plus the awesome aftermarket support makes owning a Saab fun. I have 180,000 miles on mine, but I change the oil 3000 or less and keep meticulous service records. I spend about 500-1000 a year just to keep mine purring like a kitten!

Reliable, fun and even practical
By GoDucks on 07/02/09 21:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I've never had any engine and/or related mechanical problems. The car, even though it's a convertible, has a quieter interior than my Chevy Blazer. I like the four seats, and the back even folds-down to expose a cargo hole into the truck. Much more practical than a miata, S2000, etc. I have carried skis, and 8' pieces of lumber inside my convertible! The bad: the automatic climate control system uses a little fan to sense the inside temperature; that little fan frequently rattles, which can be annoying. The mechanics of the convertible top can be touchy -- $500 in repairs over the last 5 years. Overall good car. EXCELLENT value for money.

Some good, some bad
By bakerjf on 05/18/09 16:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I purchased this car with 50,000 miles on it back in 01' - it now has almost 140,000. The good - great engine, plenty of pep, nowhere near needing a rebuild. The bad - I recently had to replace the muffler, as well as having the abs module rebuilt (only $140), apparently a common weak point on these cars. Generally repairs do not come cheap and get increasingly hard to justify as the car gets older. The ugly - the top. Have had it in 4 or 5 times to get fixed since I owned it - never the motor though, always some goofy part that causes the whole thing not to work. These cars are a joy to drive and style-wise have held up rather very well. I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon.

If you like JUNK buy a SAAB
By Ed on 04/30/09 14:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car in June 2008 with 106350 miles on it. It is now April 2009 and it has 107200 miles on it. The car hasn't run longer than a week since I purchased it used from a dealer last year. The cars ignition coil pack has been replaced 3 times and the new one is starting to go bad now. It is a money pit. When it runs it's a nice car, but that only lasts a very short time. If you really want one do a ton of research on it or else you're going to find out how awful these cars really are. Every part is expensive to replace and even after replacing them it still doesn't mean the car is going to continue to run, it's Pure JUNK. Buy American!!!! Much easier to work on and parts are cheaper.

5th Saab
By Rudog on 02/18/09 18:41 PM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 S Turbo 2dr Hatchback

A great find at local Saab dealer, while not a classic it looks like new and handles like it too. The interior and exterior does not show its 11 years. No carpet wear or stains. Previous owner garaged the car--the paint finish is like new! Did I mention the low mileage? 50,849 miles.

Nice ride
By Bud on 01/31/09 12:47 PM (PST)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

Got it with 167K and I'm up to 212K now. Needed A/C hoses and front exhaust piece when I bought it, that's it. I replaced nothing but headlight bulbs (several of them), hazard switch, power antenna, tires and oil. Convertible top always works good for me. Very reliable daily driver.

1998 Saab 900-SE Convertible 2.0LTurbo
By Angela Carroll on 08/26/08 14:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

Everything thing is so nice the leather seats and the car alarm and it is very very comfortable to sit in and the air conditioning is nice. It is a very fast car to drive fast as a Mustang. I would refer any to buy this car it is a great car to own!