1997 Saab 900 Consumer Review: I Love My Saab !

1997 Saab 900 - Consumer Review

SE Talladega Convertible (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

I Love My Saab !
By jujudoll on

1997 Saab 900 SE Talladega Turbo 2dr Convertible

First of all, I just love Saab 900 Turbos for their quirky style and total driving experience. It's a nice, heavy, safe and reliable car if you know how to take care of it. I have an '88 900 Turbo that is being restored because I've never driven a car that fun before. I just replaced that Saab with a 1997 Talladega Convertible with 123k miles on it, no rust or major issues, apparently very well cared for. I can foresee a major tune-up in the near future, but if you love your car, you do that anyway. This car is completely fun, responsive, quick and while it's not the typical long-nosed little Saab I'm used to, it didn't take long to fall in love with it.

My priorities are safety, comfort and sporty handling. I like a car with weight and style. This car boasts responsive steering and extremely good brakes. The convertible top is easy to use and very well designed, and there is still quite a bit of trunk space for such a small car. I also love the comfortable, heated seats and the auto climate control. Handling is sporty and yet it still has the feel of a small, safe luxury sedan. This car looks like a ladies car and handles like a tomboy. I love it.

The primary design issue with these later model 900's is visibility. I'm used to nearly 180 degree vision with my older Saab. This one relies heavily on mirrors and probably just getting to know the car. Also, the suspension is "sporty" meaning tight, so the ride is rougher than I like. I'm going to try new shocks to maybe smooth it out a little. I miss having a cup holder in the front, too. I know we're not supposed to drink coffee and drive, but sometimes it's just necessary. The only other thing I would really change after that is the color. Mine is silver-ish, not my fave. Also not a deal breaker.