1997 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
Good memories, mixed feelings
By cactusleaf on 02/03/14 21:50 PM (PST)

1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Mine was a great car when it was around! The turbo's power is really surprising for a 4-cylinder. 5-speed is a must to keep the in-town gas usage down. Brakes are firm and responsive and do their job well. Handling could be better, as it always felt kinda heavy around corners, especially for how fun and sporty the engine is. Mine was getting rusty but lasted until 165k. Engine seized, despite taking care of it. The car was extremely lovable and fun and I still miss it. It's unlike any other car ever, and you have to drive it to really get why. It just feels kinda raw and European. It can start falling apart on you as it ages, especially the interior, but you tend to shrug it off and smile.

270K and still going
By craymorr2003 on 10/29/13 11:09 AM (PDT)

1997 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

It's been the hardest thing to let go simply because it continues to run and won't stop. The engine still has all it's pep, it's still fun to drive, got enough pep it not having a turbo, it's great on gas and if it wasn't for most of the perks failing -6 CD changer, auto locks stopped working in winter, antenna lost in a car wash and a few electronic gremlins- I would never look at another car. I bought it for 4,000K cash with 106K miles on it, and I must have known it was going to be worth it because I had to have it and I got more than my money's worth out of i. I always put premium in it, always changed the oil after 3K and send to a SAAB Dealer once a year for tests and recommendations

Wasn't Looking For A Saab, But It's Good Car For The Money
By rootehound on 04/07/13 13:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I bought this when, after 15 years and 235,000 miles, after my beloved E36 BMW died. Having not had a car payment since 1999 - and not wanting one - I bought this from its second owner. It had 106,000 miles on it when I bought it. I was expecting it to be a slow car but, while no rocket, the car has enough power to be safe and mildly entertaining. Interior is comfortable, but not as well laid out or as well built as my BMW was. Gas mileage is in the 23 MPG range. It has a nice factory stereo system, but the old school 6 disc changer in the trunk is a bit of a pain. So far, other than a few minor issues (dash light bulbs, etc.) it has been reliable. Shifter is rubbery compared to the BMW.

love my 1997 Saab Talladega coupe
By birdstudeguy on 03/17/13 21:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 900 SE Talladega Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Bought this wonderful Saab in 2000 from the original owner. 16 years old now and only 120,000 miles. Its Cayenne red and a 3 door coupe. Always garaged and always serviced so in turn it looks excellent and runs fantastic. It is our 3rd Saab and most likely our last due to GM screwing up Saab Sweden. The fit and finish is outstanding, the paint almst looks new from 10 feet. The outstandig leather interior looks almost new. The Talladega is a limited production model that has upgraded exterior and interior features. The engine and transmission have never been apart, just regular maintenance. No Saab stories here.

I Love My Saab !
By jujudoll on 03/05/13 09:42 AM (PST)

1997 Saab 900 SE Talladega Turbo 2dr Convertible

First of all, I just love Saab 900 Turbos for their quirky style and total driving experience. It's a nice, heavy, safe and reliable car if you know how to take care of it. I have an '88 900 Turbo that is being restored because I've never driven a car that fun before. I just replaced that Saab with a 1997 Talladega Convertible with 123k miles on it, no rust or major issues, apparently very well cared for. I can foresee a major tune-up in the near future, but if you love your car, you do that anyway. This car is completely fun, responsive, quick and while it's not the typical long-nosed little Saab I'm used to, it didn't take long to fall in love with it.

Excellent car!
By codycsk on 02/17/13 08:27 AM (PST)

1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I have read quite a few bad reviews for this car. I only read them after I bought my second hand Saab. Needless to say, all those bad reviews are probably form drivers who have no clue on how to maintain a car!

My 1997 SAAB is STILL Running Awesome!
By westbrookmajor on 02/19/12 17:50 PM (PST)

1997 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

My 1997 SAAB 900S now has 227,000 miles on it and is still running great! Body looks great too - no ext. rust whatsoever. The only major repair was a new clutch & clutch cable but hey, it's not a new car so certain things will wear out on anything after 15 years on the road.

Another 'saab' story
By schuckles on 01/29/12 07:37 AM (PST)

1997 Saab 900 SE Talladega Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Fun to drive, lots of space, and that's it! What car made after 1988 uses a cable clutch?! The cable snapped on the clutch, the oil cooler spewed oil all over the engine, sucked in by the cabin fan and spewed oil on my face, the backlight for the climate control burned out, the lumbar seat broke (and I'm not a big/heavy guy), list goes on. At only 60k miles, the thing fell apart - stupid things going wrong. Do not buy this car. Stay away.

I LOVE THESE CARS!! AND SO SHOULD YOU!
By sidhu_saab on 05/16/11 17:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

Ive had the privaledge of owning many high end luxury cars. WOW! I am so impressed with the drive of the saab, the incredible roomyness & sporty handling. Best of all I am impressed with the fuel economy. I love the solid feel of the car in comparison to the lightweight tin out there these days.Recently purchased a 97 900s 4cyl auto, after giving back my 09 Acura MDX. Fortunately I am experiencing a Saab before its full bastardization by GM. I would definaltely recommend this car.No mechanical issues yet and my Saab mechanic does not forsee any. Do not be swayed by the horror stories on such sites. Experience this magnificent car for yourself!

What a piece of junk!! Don't buy a Saab
By MNMama on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

We purchased this car for about 3K about a year and a half ago. We have put over $3,000 into it since then. Lots of computer/electrical issues, entire brake system had to be overhauled, it is absolutely NOT worth the money in order to keep these things running. A couple times we were unable to fix the car simply because the part is no longer manufactured and not available anywhere! Do yourself a favor and DON'T BUY A SAAB - what a major money pit!