Used 1996 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

Best of all worlds
By vince

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

If you are looking for a show off car, wrong address, this car has all the best features one can desire: performance, reliability, great design. It is the best car with an understated look, not for everybody ,only for saab lovers

Favorite Features

Great interior, no glitters just functional and to the point, great handling, stick to the road, sporty car if you want a car that feels like sitting in your living room, stay home...

Suggested Improvements

Do not make it look like other cars

VERY glad I bought it!
By dw

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my 900SE turbo hatchback used, and it's been the best auto purchase I've ever made. This car is a great combination of performance (0-60 in less than 7 sec and great highway acceleration), economy (25-30 mpg) and utility.It's carried a LOT of stuff: kitchen set, diswasher, wall oven, kid's college stuff, & is a great performance car - I have to be careful to avoid speeding tickets. On a recent highway trip (NJ to western PA) it got 30.2 mpg. The only repairs have been typical maintenance (tires, brakes, etc.), DI casette at around 80k miles, and a power antenna that I broke. Mine has 110k miles and looks and runs like a much younger car - & still has the original clutch.

Favorite Features

Turbo acceleration, hatchback utility, fuel economy, traction in snow & wet conditions. With winter tires, it's convinced me one doen't need an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats a bit narrow (or, more likely, I'm a bit wide). Not all 1996 models have the lumbar support adjustment (mine doesn't). Hatchback layout may lead to rattles.

Hard to beat for the price used
By Miles

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

These little cars are tough as nails and get great gas mileage! Sure, the occasional engine light comes on but that is because the Swedes put too many sensors on the thing. The 4 cyl is not the smoothest motor at idle, but it runs strong and is very economical. All this and classy looks with a 4 dr hatch thousands less then Honda, and Toyota. Saab is a well kept secret.

Favorite Features

Electronics

Suggested Improvements

Stereo controls. Typical European confusion.

one saab story after the next
By saabstory

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This car had one problem after the next. I replaced the mechanical seat, ignition, clutch cable, window motor, heat blower,cd player, tires repeatedly, etc. etc. The repairs were endless. I just traded it thank god, it was bottom less pit. The air was out and the car was not wanting to be put in reverse. I finally gave up...

Favorite Features

Fun and comfortable drive

Suggested Improvements

value and reliability for the price. I would not recommend this car to anyone unless you want to throw money away all the time.

golden beige
By larrya812

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

No problems, nothing nada...still going strong., love Saabs just wish they had not done away with the hatchback. This is our second, and we have a 2002 that's great too.

Favorite Features

heated seats, every car should have these, wish they would come up w/a way to heat steering wheels.

Suggested Improvements

GO BACK TO A HATCHBACK MODEL PLEASE!!