Used 1996 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

Superb design, dodgy execution
By Atomic920

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

I paid $4,600 for a non-turbo S with low (68K) miles. It was 8 years old, but thought it should go well. Uh-huh. Fun driver, but it's stranded me 3(!) times in one year driving only 8K miles. First a serpentine belt pulley failure two weeks after buying it. No warning - belt almost fell out of engine bay. Second was the alternator ($600 repair). Third was the clutch cable. Other probs: E-brake cable squeals, rust, aftermarket CD impossible. For an old car, it cruises effortlessly at 75mph. Decent mileage. Smoothest 4-cyl. I've ever had, but nothing like the 200hp turbo of 9-3. Takes slow turns like a drunken sailor.

Quiet. Vault-like bodyshell. Torquey engine. Great styling. Turning radius. A 9-foot Christmas tree fits entirely inside car.

Reliability! Basic engine/electric parts shouldn't fail so quickly. It's worse than my old Elantra. Rear seat legroom. No cupholders. Propietary audio. Can't turn headlights off (!?)

good car
By scott Graber

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Very pleased with vehicle. I bought it with 98,000 miles. I've since put 35,000 of my own on it with only a few minor and one moderate repair(s). I do much of the work myself and find it pretty easy to deal with.

Best little car around!
By Susannah

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I needed a car that was safe, reliable, and fun. I am very pleased to say that the Saab SE Turbo fits all those catagories. It is quite reliable (and it has 75,000 miles). It always performs flawlessly. It is REALLY fun to drive (without busting your wallet in gas money)! Put the top down, find a nice back road, and prepare to have mucho fun! Luckily I haven't tested it's safety but I have no doubt that, due to how it's performance so far, it would keep me safe in the event of an accident. I highly recommend this car!

Turbo, seat warmers, comfort, style, gas mileage, etc...

I haven't found anything that needs improving...

Best of all worlds
By vince

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

If you are looking for a show off car, wrong address, this car has all the best features one can desire: performance, reliability, great design. It is the best car with an understated look, not for everybody ,only for saab lovers

Great interior, no glitters just functional and to the point, great handling, stick to the road, sporty car if you want a car that feels like sitting in your living room, stay home...

Do not make it look like other cars

VERY glad I bought it!
By dw

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my 900SE turbo hatchback used, and it's been the best auto purchase I've ever made. This car is a great combination of performance (0-60 in less than 7 sec and great highway acceleration), economy (25-30 mpg) and utility.It's carried a LOT of stuff: kitchen set, diswasher, wall oven, kid's college stuff, & is a great performance car - I have to be careful to avoid speeding tickets. On a recent highway trip (NJ to western PA) it got 30.2 mpg. The only repairs have been typical maintenance (tires, brakes, etc.), DI casette at around 80k miles, and a power antenna that I broke. Mine has 110k miles and looks and runs like a much younger car - & still has the original clutch.

Turbo acceleration, hatchback utility, fuel economy, traction in snow & wet conditions. With winter tires, it's convinced me one doen't need an SUV.

Front seats a bit narrow (or, more likely, I'm a bit wide). Not all 1996 models have the lumbar support adjustment (mine doesn't). Hatchback layout may lead to rattles.