Used 1996 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

210,000 MILES AND STILL GOING!!
By KayCee

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

My Saab is really the energizer bunny. I bought this car used at an auction for $1,000. It had 170K miles then. I now have over 210K miles and this car still runs strong. The only thing I have had to do is change the original clutch at 200k miles. I truly love this car and I have owned plenty of cars. I also have a 2000 BMW 3 series which is fun but my SAAB is my baby. It is my daily driver at about 35 miles to work each day. If you are concerned about a high mileage saab, dont be. Just make sure it wasnt dogged (carfax) and you will be fine. My car will go for another 100K miles easily. If you see a green saab on I95 doing 90mph in northern Virginia, just smile and envy me in it.

SID display, unique design, key in the floor ignition, all the standard features, comfort, reliability, roominess, economy, cargo space, the way it corners, heated seats, the way it cruises effortlessly at 80+mph. Oh stop reading and go buy one

All should be turbo, lol

Sweet... maybe too sweet
By Redoubt

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Our 1996 900 SE Turbo is the kind of car you’d want for your daughter if she was about to move away to college. It’s a completely stable drive in both city traffic and on the interstate and has a respectable safety rating. Very typically European, you and the machine are a single entity. It’s not about comfort or quiet… you won’t be napping in the driver’s seat. You have to actually drive this car but once you do, you’ll never feel the same about a Ford or Chevy. The 4-cylinder engine is topped with a turbo… and probably requires this as a means to produce the power that is definitely available. But the downside is that it is also very thirsty… expect to get a Thank You note from OPEC.

Spirited performance in all driving ranges. Vehicle responds smartly when needed. A very stable driving experience.

Environmental controls need to be redesigned to be more driver friendly.

Superb design, dodgy execution
By Atomic920

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

I paid $4,600 for a non-turbo S with low (68K) miles. It was 8 years old, but thought it should go well. Uh-huh. Fun driver, but it's stranded me 3(!) times in one year driving only 8K miles. First a serpentine belt pulley failure two weeks after buying it. No warning - belt almost fell out of engine bay. Second was the alternator ($600 repair). Third was the clutch cable. Other probs: E-brake cable squeals, rust, aftermarket CD impossible. For an old car, it cruises effortlessly at 75mph. Decent mileage. Smoothest 4-cyl. I've ever had, but nothing like the 200hp turbo of 9-3. Takes slow turns like a drunken sailor.

Quiet. Vault-like bodyshell. Torquey engine. Great styling. Turning radius. A 9-foot Christmas tree fits entirely inside car.

Reliability! Basic engine/electric parts shouldn't fail so quickly. It's worse than my old Elantra. Rear seat legroom. No cupholders. Propietary audio. Can't turn headlights off (!?)

good car
By scott Graber

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Very pleased with vehicle. I bought it with 98,000 miles. I've since put 35,000 of my own on it with only a few minor and one moderate repair(s). I do much of the work myself and find it pretty easy to deal with.

Best little car around!
By Susannah

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I needed a car that was safe, reliable, and fun. I am very pleased to say that the Saab SE Turbo fits all those catagories. It is quite reliable (and it has 75,000 miles). It always performs flawlessly. It is REALLY fun to drive (without busting your wallet in gas money)! Put the top down, find a nice back road, and prepare to have mucho fun! Luckily I haven't tested it's safety but I have no doubt that, due to how it's performance so far, it would keep me safe in the event of an accident. I highly recommend this car!

Turbo, seat warmers, comfort, style, gas mileage, etc...

I haven't found anything that needs improving...