Used 1996 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

doesn't dissapoint
By tg240kmh

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my mothers 1996 Se with a turbo and what I can say in the beginning,I bought the car mostly because it was all i could afford.At first i didn't want to touch it.Right now its going through some problems.I recently had to by an alternator belt to bypass the a/c compressor.I'm having to deal with lagging power due to broken exhaust studs(sad but true).My mom bought it with one hundred,sixty-seven thousand miles on a turned odometer from Plotty"s Auto Sales.Some miraculous sign.I have never seen the check engine light once.I have put a lot of time and money into her and I must say I'm hitched on this company.The reviews put me on the spot to show my gratitude.Saab's are very reliable.

Even for an old lady that has seen more than twenty blocks,three hundred times,the whole car i own has more features than i as an enthusiast would want but for a commuter the bells and whistles are unbelievable.there is no dought i would trust this car in front of a semi truck i the snow with extremely limited visibility in the mountains.

More parts on the internet.A wider span on the aftermarket.More people behind the wheel of these amazing machines.A bigger respect for the griffin.

All around great car
By mxracn746

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Have owned our 96 900S for about a year. It's a good reliable car. Has 143,000 mi on it. The only thing we had to do was rebuild the ditributor because the camshaft sensor went bad in it. The secondary air vacuum system keeps poping up a code in the computer of a partially blocked system, which I know its just water and I need to just take a shop vac and suck it out. I just clear the code from the computer every now and then. Other than that, I've had absolutly no problems. we take it on 200~300 mile trips about once a month without hessitation.

My favorite features are the sunroof, remote alarm, Aluminum wheels, styling ( even for a 96 it still looks good) and 4 cyl. engine.

Great
By Ryan

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

Great car, bought it in WI, and drove it 2500 miles back home with no problems at all, i bought it with 128k miles, this car will last forever as long as you maintain it, i do an oil change every other month, trans fluid change once a year, constantly check the fluids, coolant, oil level and brake fluid. I've also installed 18inch rims on it, and wow it looks great, i've installed a stereo system, with an amp and subs, i put a strait pipe, with a custom muffler in and got rid of all those stupid flex pipes, i recharged the ac, great car. the two bad things i've noticed are: the "check engine light is always on, and when i put it in reverse the front park lights come on.

everything

better Manuel transmission, electrical needs work, factory exhaust is terrible, make parts cheaper and more available

little car with a lot of heart
By Chelie

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

This car is by far one of the safest cars to have out on the road. I was hit on the highway by an 18-wheeler three times, and I walked away from the accident with minor cuts from broken glass. This saab saved my life. Other than small problems (due to lack of maintenance on my end), no major problems at all. I owned it for 6 years, bought it with 101k mikes, and it will now RIP with 168k miles.

It's very agile. Sport mode makes it a pleasure to drive on the highway. Also, winder mode is amazing in the snow. Lots of storage. You'd be surprised at how much you can fit in those little cars.

More cup holders. Different type of lever to recline seats.

900 se convertible trip
By bundies

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 1996 conv. in Divide Colorado to travel home. This was our 4th Saab. We drove south threw New Mexico, Texas,Louisiana, Arkansas, Mo. Ky. Va. And Pa. to Delaware. At times I cruised at 95-100 mph in 100 degree weather. The stability and handling at speed is better then my 2004 9-5. we've owned since new. Total repairs on the trip was 1 instrument light reostat in Sante Fe. since returning home I've replaced 1 Coil pack and the top has quit working. This is a great car for 1 or 2 people doing long distance touring. My daughter hit a concrete barrier at 70 after being run off the road in our 99 9-5. I will only trust my daughter to a Saab. Great cars with personality.

performance, comfort, indestructible.

vehicles have terrible coil problems that are unacceptable. Saab should have replaced them for life for free. I understand they improved them in 2002 but I've replaced the one on my 2004 twice and carry a spare.

• SUV