1996 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
Best car I ever owned
By danb on 04/17/08 19:46 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I bought my car new it was a demo model with 3490miles on it. As of 4/17/08 I have 148,000 on this car. The car has been garage kept and only driven from April to Early October. I get approx 24mpg city and as high of 31mpg highway. The best advice i can give people to maintian this car is oil changes every 3000miles, trans fluid chages every 7500.( The trans was not one of their best) I change plugs every year. Recently I have had to change the transmission module. ( Sent it out for rebuild $120 and reinstalled.

Loved the Car, Hated the Reliability
By Andrew K on 01/13/08 17:26 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

This car was a sheer to drive and handled like a dream. However once the car hit 90,000 miles it was pretty much all downhill from there. Repairs went through the roof, headgasket, clutch cable (3 times), reverse sychro gear which made a horrible grinding sound, the turbo went, the water pump and alternator went, the drivers side window frame broke on its own, the tires cost 500 dollars every year and not to mention electronic issues every now and again. The car was a complete disaster, the amount of repairs that i had could have paid for a new saab, every time the car went it it would be at least 400 - 700 dollars to fix. I would buy another if it was more reliable!

Awesome 4 seater
By mr. t on 01/07/08 17:50 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

The 1996 Saab 900 S 2.3 convertible is one of the best cars on the market today in its category, Not only is it fast, great looking, reliable, and well built, it also gets an incredible 30 mph on the Hwy. and seats four comfortably. Awesome.

Great car
By cj on 10/23/07 07:14 AM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

It being my first car I am very new to the whole car scene but for an entry level Saab it is nothing less than what I hoped for. The pickup and speed on the vehicle are tremendous. The sound system has been great. I just added subs to it and it made it even better. Overall it is a great vehicle. I was lucky that when I bought it had only 22,000 miles on it and it is a great car.

Reliable Vehicle
By TheRickster on 06/10/06 18:35 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

Bought my 1996 900S unbelievably cheap from original owner with 242,000 miles on the clock. Best investment I ever made! I have seen other reviews here, but believe me this car is made to last as long as you maintain it religiously! It is possible to install aftermarket audio in this car, but the install kit and wiring harness will set you back about $40.00. Total install and prep time is about 45 minutes, however, the factory audio system has features you won't find anywhere else. I like the weatherband tuning which will instantly pull in weather reports for your area. Plus, most people will assume that your car is expensive, especially if well cared for, no need to tell the truth!

210,000 MILES AND STILL GOING!!
By KayCee on 03/21/06 11:32 AM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

My Saab is really the energizer bunny. I bought this car used at an auction for $1,000. It had 170K miles then. I now have over 210K miles and this car still runs strong. The only thing I have had to do is change the original clutch at 200k miles. I truly love this car and I have owned plenty of cars. I also have a 2000 BMW 3 series which is fun but my SAAB is my baby. It is my daily driver at about 35 miles to work each day. If you are concerned about a high mileage saab, dont be. Just make sure it wasnt dogged (carfax) and you will be fine. My car will go for another 100K miles easily. If you see a green saab on I95 doing 90mph in northern Virginia, just smile and envy me in it.

Sweet... maybe too sweet
By Redoubt on 03/11/06 11:10 AM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

Our 1996 900 SE Turbo is the kind of car you’d want for your daughter if she was about to move away to college. It’s a completely stable drive in both city traffic and on the interstate and has a respectable safety rating. Very typically European, you and the machine are a single entity. It’s not about comfort or quiet… you won’t be napping in the driver’s seat. You have to actually drive this car but once you do, you’ll never feel the same about a Ford or Chevy. The 4-cylinder engine is topped with a turbo… and probably requires this as a means to produce the power that is definitely available. But the downside is that it is also very thirsty… expect to get a Thank You note from OPEC.

Superb design, dodgy execution
By Atomic920 on 01/05/06 13:56 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

I paid $4,600 for a non-turbo S with low (68K) miles. It was 8 years old, but thought it should go well. Uh-huh. Fun driver, but it's stranded me 3(!) times in one year driving only 8K miles. First a serpentine belt pulley failure two weeks after buying it. No warning - belt almost fell out of engine bay. Second was the alternator ($600 repair). Third was the clutch cable. Other probs: E-brake cable squeals, rust, aftermarket CD impossible. For an old car, it cruises effortlessly at 75mph. Decent mileage. Smoothest 4-cyl. I've ever had, but nothing like the 200hp turbo of 9-3. Takes slow turns like a drunken sailor.

good car
By scott Graber on 07/15/05 00:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Very pleased with vehicle. I bought it with 98,000 miles. I've since put 35,000 of my own on it with only a few minor and one moderate repair(s). I do much of the work myself and find it pretty easy to deal with.

Best little car around!
By Susannah on 05/02/05 20:56 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I needed a car that was safe, reliable, and fun. I am very pleased to say that the Saab SE Turbo fits all those catagories. It is quite reliable (and it has 75,000 miles). It always performs flawlessly. It is REALLY fun to drive (without busting your wallet in gas money)! Put the top down, find a nice back road, and prepare to have mucho fun! Luckily I haven't tested it's safety but I have no doubt that, due to how it's performance so far, it would keep me safe in the event of an accident. I highly recommend this car!