Used 1996 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

1996 Saab 900

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

little car with a lot of heart
By Chelie

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

This car is by far one of the safest cars to have out on the road. I was hit on the highway by an 18-wheeler three times, and I walked away from the accident with minor cuts from broken glass. This saab saved my life. Other than small problems (due to lack of maintenance on my end), no major problems at all. I owned it for 6 years, bought it with 101k mikes, and it will now RIP with 168k miles.

Favorite Features

It's very agile. Sport mode makes it a pleasure to drive on the highway. Also, winder mode is amazing in the snow. Lots of storage. You'd be surprised at how much you can fit in those little cars.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders. Different type of lever to recline seats.

900 se convertible trip
By bundies

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 1996 conv. in Divide Colorado to travel home. This was our 4th Saab. We drove south threw New Mexico, Texas,Louisiana, Arkansas, Mo. Ky. Va. And Pa. to Delaware. At times I cruised at 95-100 mph in 100 degree weather. The stability and handling at speed is better then my 2004 9-5. we've owned since new. Total repairs on the trip was 1 instrument light reostat in Sante Fe. since returning home I've replaced 1 Coil pack and the top has quit working. This is a great car for 1 or 2 people doing long distance touring. My daughter hit a concrete barrier at 70 after being run off the road in our 99 9-5. I will only trust my daughter to a Saab. Great cars with personality.

Favorite Features

performance, comfort, indestructible.

Suggested Improvements

vehicles have terrible coil problems that are unacceptable. Saab should have replaced them for life for free. I understand they improved them in 2002 but I've replaced the one on my 2004 twice and carry a spare.

Work horse
By lou

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have purchased this car from a private seller in Feb of 2008 for 2400.00, had 150000 miles on it, all I can say is this was the best used car I ever bought, I fill the tank and get about 425 miles at about 15 gallons, do the math, great on gas. I drive to work 75 miles round trip and the only thing I need to replace is the tires. My friends always say the car is so quiet when I idle at a red light. I am on the market for another one for my son.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Engine, Pickup on the turbo. I put in an aftermarket radio but the stock radio is great, I wanted a CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Can't turn off lights, they are always on unless remove the fuse, but why would you do that. The AC/Heater turns on by default when the car starts.

For being "different," it's too ordinary.
By fitzgerald.e

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car as my 21st birthday present. I moved on from a 9000 S to the proper turbo 900. Since I bought it, it has slowly fallen apart. Little things break, and it just adds up. The performance is nothing special (especially today), and the turbo takes FOREVER to build any meaningful boost. Also, the clutch is stiff and there aren't ANY cup holders! You need at least one, especially with a manual. The climate control irritates me. Why is it always on? Its default setting should be "off." I don't want it blowing hot air when I get in at noon in July! I think I'd be happier with an S70 T5 of similar vintage.

Favorite Features

The way the turbo blows hard (relatively) past 3k, the wastegate "psssh", the way you can cram everything you own in the hatch, the cutesy headlamp wipers, it came with everything standard (heated seats, moonroof, auto climate control), decent gear ratios, and the cute guys who buy them...

Suggested Improvements

You have to turn off the auto climate control EVERY TIME you start the car, the glacial boost lag, the ropey shifter and stiff clutch. It shimmies over expansion joints, subpar fuel economy for a 4-pot, NO CUP HOLDERS, and the little things seem to break (like the rear wiper).

Saab 900s basic
By Alex

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

I've owned many Saabs. I picked up a basic 900s (no leather, no moon roof, non-turbo 4 cylinder) for a good price and it's very reliable and economical. The huge cargo capacity beats any compact car.

Suggested Improvements

The turbo models also get very good gas mileage if you don't push the car too hard. Leather and a moon roof is also nice. So if you're looking for that extra stuff get an SE model.