Used 1996 Saab 900 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

1st time Saab owner
By Gene

1996 Saab 900 Hatchback SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I've had the car for about a year. I love the turbo performance and tight handling. I had to replace a tonneau cover motor which was really a surprisingly easy to do.

Won my heart, hurt my wallet
By saabsrule

1996 Saab 900 Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback

This was my first car in High School and I absolutely loved it. I bought it from my parents and it was about 14 years old then. This car looks amazing, gets about 27 mpg while driving agressively, and is excellent in winter weather. I drove the manual transmission model which was great fun. The engine was zippy and the car handled like nothing I have ever driven. However, in the 2 years I owned it the tranny went out, it needed a new exhaust system, the ignition module went, the clutch went and what eventually killed it was the headgasket blew. I loved this car and still do, but I could not afford the repairs. They were too expensive and too frequent. I sold her with a broken heart.

Handling, economy, sunroof, heated seats, power

Only one cup holder, useless wipers, reliability is very poor.

doesn't dissapoint
By tg240kmh

1996 Saab 900 Hatchback SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my mothers 1996 Se with a turbo and what I can say in the beginning,I bought the car mostly because it was all i could afford.At first i didn't want to touch it.Right now its going through some problems.I recently had to by an alternator belt to bypass the a/c compressor.I'm having to deal with lagging power due to broken exhaust studs(sad but true).My mom bought it with one hundred,sixty-seven thousand miles on a turned odometer from Plotty"s Auto Sales.Some miraculous sign.I have never seen the check engine light once.I have put a lot of time and money into her and I must say I'm hitched on this company.The reviews put me on the spot to show my gratitude.Saab's are very reliable.

Even for an old lady that has seen more than twenty blocks,three hundred times,the whole car i own has more features than i as an enthusiast would want but for a commuter the bells and whistles are unbelievable.there is no dought i would trust this car in front of a semi truck i the snow with extremely limited visibility in the mountains.

More parts on the internet.A wider span on the aftermarket.More people behind the wheel of these amazing machines.A bigger respect for the griffin.

All around great car
By mxracn746

1996 Saab 900 Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

Have owned our 96 900S for about a year. It's a good reliable car. Has 143,000 mi on it. The only thing we had to do was rebuild the ditributor because the camshaft sensor went bad in it. The secondary air vacuum system keeps poping up a code in the computer of a partially blocked system, which I know its just water and I need to just take a shop vac and suck it out. I just clear the code from the computer every now and then. Other than that, I've had absolutly no problems. we take it on 200~300 mile trips about once a month without hessitation.

My favorite features are the sunroof, remote alarm, Aluminum wheels, styling ( even for a 96 it still looks good) and 4 cyl. engine.

Great
By Ryan

1996 Saab 900 Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback

Great car, bought it in WI, and drove it 2500 miles back home with no problems at all, i bought it with 128k miles, this car will last forever as long as you maintain it, i do an oil change every other month, trans fluid change once a year, constantly check the fluids, coolant, oil level and brake fluid. I've also installed 18inch rims on it, and wow it looks great, i've installed a stereo system, with an amp and subs, i put a strait pipe, with a custom muffler in and got rid of all those stupid flex pipes, i recharged the ac, great car. the two bad things i've noticed are: the "check engine light is always on, and when i put it in reverse the front park lights come on.

everything

better Manuel transmission, electrical needs work, factory exhaust is terrible, make parts cheaper and more available