1996 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
All around great car
By mxracn746 on 02/04/11 18:34 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Have owned our 96 900S for about a year. It's a good reliable car. Has 143,000 mi on it. The only thing we had to do was rebuild the ditributor because the camshaft sensor went bad in it. The secondary air vacuum system keeps poping up a code in the computer of a partially blocked system, which I know its just water and I need to just take a shop vac and suck it out. I just clear the code from the computer every now and then. Other than that, I've had absolutly no problems. we take it on 200~300 mile trips about once a month without hessitation.

little car with a lot of heart
By Chelie on 02/23/10 13:28 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

This car is by far one of the safest cars to have out on the road. I was hit on the highway by an 18-wheeler three times, and I walked away from the accident with minor cuts from broken glass. This saab saved my life. Other than small problems (due to lack of maintenance on my end), no major problems at all. I owned it for 6 years, bought it with 101k mikes, and it will now RIP with 168k miles.

Saab 900s basic
By Alex on 07/06/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

I've owned many Saabs. I picked up a basic 900s (no leather, no moon roof, non-turbo 4 cylinder) for a good price and it's very reliable and economical. The huge cargo capacity beats any compact car.

210,000 MILES AND STILL GOING!!
By KayCee on 03/21/06 11:32 AM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

My Saab is really the energizer bunny. I bought this car used at an auction for $1,000. It had 170K miles then. I now have over 210K miles and this car still runs strong. The only thing I have had to do is change the original clutch at 200k miles. I truly love this car and I have owned plenty of cars. I also have a 2000 BMW 3 series which is fun but my SAAB is my baby. It is my daily driver at about 35 miles to work each day. If you are concerned about a high mileage saab, dont be. Just make sure it wasnt dogged (carfax) and you will be fine. My car will go for another 100K miles easily. If you see a green saab on I95 doing 90mph in northern Virginia, just smile and envy me in it.

good car
By scott Graber on 07/15/05 00:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Very pleased with vehicle. I bought it with 98,000 miles. I've since put 35,000 of my own on it with only a few minor and one moderate repair(s). I do much of the work myself and find it pretty easy to deal with.

Saab safety first... reliability last
By oralmeddoc on 11/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

There were minor problems with the car after purchase. Major problems for the life of the car. I can rely on the fact that if the car is brought in for repair, that the car will not be repaired properly. I am aghast at the amount of repairs and high cost of repairs. In the final analysis, the car is heavy, safe, handles well. Unfortunately, the car did not live up to expectations as far as reliability and service.