1996 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
Won my heart, hurt my wallet
By saabsrule on 12/12/12 18:37 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

This was my first car in High School and I absolutely loved it. I bought it from my parents and it was about 14 years old then. This car looks amazing, gets about 27 mpg while driving agressively, and is excellent in winter weather. I drove the manual transmission model which was great fun. The engine was zippy and the car handled like nothing I have ever driven. However, in the 2 years I owned it the tranny went out, it needed a new exhaust system, the ignition module went, the clutch went and what eventually killed it was the headgasket blew. I loved this car and still do, but I could not afford the repairs. They were too expensive and too frequent. I sold her with a broken heart.

I Love My Saab 900 SE Turbo Convertible
By tanya68 on 03/17/12 16:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

This is my second Saab. I absolutely love my car. It's a 1996 and I have 92k miles on it. My top still works and the car is very dependable. Right now, however, I can't figure out why my dash lights have gone completely out (can't drive at night) and my horn honks non-stop; had to remove the fuse for now. Any great Saab mechanics out there? I also need a new hose for my turbo... Help!!

doesn't dissapoint
By tg240kmh on 02/14/11 19:56 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my mothers 1996 Se with a turbo and what I can say in the beginning,I bought the car mostly because it was all i could afford.At first i didn't want to touch it.Right now its going through some problems.I recently had to by an alternator belt to bypass the a/c compressor.I'm having to deal with lagging power due to broken exhaust studs(sad but true).My mom bought it with one hundred,sixty-seven thousand miles on a turned odometer from Plotty"s Auto Sales.Some miraculous sign.I have never seen the check engine light once.I have put a lot of time and money into her and I must say I'm hitched on this company.The reviews put me on the spot to show my gratitude.Saab's are very reliable.

All around great car
By mxracn746 on 02/04/11 18:34 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Have owned our 96 900S for about a year. It's a good reliable car. Has 143,000 mi on it. The only thing we had to do was rebuild the ditributor because the camshaft sensor went bad in it. The secondary air vacuum system keeps poping up a code in the computer of a partially blocked system, which I know its just water and I need to just take a shop vac and suck it out. I just clear the code from the computer every now and then. Other than that, I've had absolutly no problems. we take it on 200~300 mile trips about once a month without hessitation.

Great
By Ryan on 09/05/10 23:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

Great car, bought it in WI, and drove it 2500 miles back home with no problems at all, i bought it with 128k miles, this car will last forever as long as you maintain it, i do an oil change every other month, trans fluid change once a year, constantly check the fluids, coolant, oil level and brake fluid. I've also installed 18inch rims on it, and wow it looks great, i've installed a stereo system, with an amp and subs, i put a strait pipe, with a custom muffler in and got rid of all those stupid flex pipes, i recharged the ac, great car. the two bad things i've noticed are: the "check engine light is always on, and when i put it in reverse the front park lights come on.

little car with a lot of heart
By Chelie on 02/23/10 13:28 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

This car is by far one of the safest cars to have out on the road. I was hit on the highway by an 18-wheeler three times, and I walked away from the accident with minor cuts from broken glass. This saab saved my life. Other than small problems (due to lack of maintenance on my end), no major problems at all. I owned it for 6 years, bought it with 101k mikes, and it will now RIP with 168k miles.

900 se convertible trip
By bundies on 01/31/10 21:45 PM (PST)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 1996 conv. in Divide Colorado to travel home. This was our 4th Saab. We drove south threw New Mexico, Texas,Louisiana, Arkansas, Mo. Ky. Va. And Pa. to Delaware. At times I cruised at 95-100 mph in 100 degree weather. The stability and handling at speed is better then my 2004 9-5. we've owned since new. Total repairs on the trip was 1 instrument light reostat in Sante Fe. since returning home I've replaced 1 Coil pack and the top has quit working. This is a great car for 1 or 2 people doing long distance touring. My daughter hit a concrete barrier at 70 after being run off the road in our 99 9-5. I will only trust my daughter to a Saab. Great cars with personality.

Work horse
By lou on 08/09/09 22:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I have purchased this car from a private seller in Feb of 2008 for 2400.00, had 150000 miles on it, all I can say is this was the best used car I ever bought, I fill the tank and get about 425 miles at about 15 gallons, do the math, great on gas. I drive to work 75 miles round trip and the only thing I need to replace is the tires. My friends always say the car is so quiet when I idle at a red light. I am on the market for another one for my son.

For being "different," it's too ordinary.
By fitzgerald.e on 07/09/09 09:39 AM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 SE Turbo 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car as my 21st birthday present. I moved on from a 9000 S to the proper turbo 900. Since I bought it, it has slowly fallen apart. Little things break, and it just adds up. The performance is nothing special (especially today), and the turbo takes FOREVER to build any meaningful boost. Also, the clutch is stiff and there aren't ANY cup holders! You need at least one, especially with a manual. The climate control irritates me. Why is it always on? Its default setting should be "off." I don't want it blowing hot air when I get in at noon in July! I think I'd be happier with an S70 T5 of similar vintage.

Saab 900s basic
By Alex on 07/06/08 17:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

I've owned many Saabs. I picked up a basic 900s (no leather, no moon roof, non-turbo 4 cylinder) for a good price and it's very reliable and economical. The huge cargo capacity beats any compact car.

1 2 3 4 5 next »