1995 Saab 900 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
Bad Car
By James on 12/10/09 17:23 PM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback S 2dr Hatchback

I really hate this car. It has been nothing but a lemon. I would not recommend anyone purchase this year or model. Bad transmission, bad engine, poor handling.

Possessed from day one!
By Sprang on 11/01/09 20:46 PM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback SE V6 4dr Hatchback

It's funny that I've read so much about the timing issues in the v-6 which is the only problem I've never encountered with this car! Back in its day day it was fast and smooth, however almost monthly I encountered problem after problem! Strut towers completely rotted out, stalling, fuel pump issues, a $500 dollar tune-up, throttle body issues, constant leaking issues in the trunk, frozen rear calipers etc.etc.etc.! Basically the car is junk now with only over 100k miles. Oh and unless a mechanic has a tech 2 scanner you're pretty much screwed as Saab made sure these were pretty much unfixable unless a dealer was involved...Long story short...Good Luck or get a BMW or a Honda!

Good, but Expensive
By zachrikature on 03/26/09 10:55 AM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback SE V6 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 82K, with all the maintenance records since new. It was beautiful, but thanks to an ignorant previous owner, he didn't replace the timing belt at 60K. The engine blew, after the engine was replaced for $2200 the clutch cable went shortly after. Other than that it has been reliable for the past eight months with no problems.

Don't buy this car.
By Sad SAAB Owner on 02/28/09 10:38 AM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback

This has been a miserable vehicle from day one. 3 water pumps in the first 40,000 miles. Incredibly expensive repair parts. Wheels bend when you run over a penny. Something breaks on a monthly basis. Sunroof leaks, but the part costs twice what the car is worth. Engine pulleys fly off at random periods. Let us pray that GM lets this miserable mark die a quick death.

Not happy
By muonionalusta on 01/05/09 21:34 PM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback

I've had this car since new. The only reason I've kept it so long is that it is sort of a challenging game now to keep it alive. Everything, I mean everything breaks on these things. Just as soon as I think nothing else can break, something does. Just 130K miles. But every suspension piece has been replaced, including the rear axle which is easily bent. Radiator, window regulators, power steering pump, rear main seal, headliner, head gasket, clutch cable. AC compressor, fuel pump. Even the steering wheel fell apart. New parts from Saab are ridiculously expensive ($250 dollars for the headlight wiper motor). You've got to be absolutely crazy to even think about owning one of these

My 4 Door 900S just keeps on running.
By Mike from Jersey on 09/02/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback S 4dr Hatchback

I bought my 1995 900S on the internet in 2006. The car has 92K and a perfect car fax. The original owner only dealer serviced the car for it's first 11 years. It was involved in crash and needed a fender & door. Because of this I bought the car for $1200. I bought original parts online and a local body man put it all back together for $600.00. Sure my serpentine belt let go without warning. Lucky I stopped immediately. The clutch cable also let go. I have a really good Import guy. No more dealer service.The belt job with all new pulleys was $185.00. The Clutch cable job was $150.00. Saab wanted $650.00 for the job. I am happy for a total of 2K US this baby runs strong & Looks Sharp.

Great car
By Desmoid on 10/08/07 08:03 AM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback SE V6 4dr Hatchback

Have enjoyed this car almost every minute. Handling, styling, interior, engine have all held up in nearly ten years as the second owner. Known issues like the timing chain Saab replaced at their expense at 90k miles. Wheels tended to bend easily adding to already existing steering geometry issue. Saab makes an upgrade kit to fix steering issues. Antenna no longer retracts; air_conditioner has hose leak, but these are minor considerations and arise with any vehicle. Just replaced rear shocks at 160k. Tune-ups and regular oil changes keep engine in good shape. I would recommend a good engine code-reader. Difficulty reaching spark plugs means trip to garage is a must for routine tune up.

Fun car
By Zach on 09/18/07 09:05 AM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Fun to drive, handles well and is comfortable for two people. Only had the car for a month or so and I'm very impressed. 119,000 miles and still runs like new.

1995 Saab 2 dr turbo hatchback
By mattA on 12/28/06 09:48 AM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Fun to drive. Not good for more than 2 people because of the space. Had to replace the clutch. Great gas mileage. Good control. It's not all that reliable. Would not buy again.

A Tough Decision
By Sean on 10/04/06 16:50 PM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Hatchback SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

The two most notable features of this car are its fun to drive factor and its reliabililty. This car is extremely fun to drive; despite the vague transmission, handling and power make for a satisfying experience. Steering is too light for some, appreciated on long hauls, however. Reliability was too poor to consider buying another Saab. Pulleys in the engine designed of plastic break frequently, and often without warning-a disconcerting and unnecessary feature. Compact size makes nights on the town difficult - back seat passengers in the coupe will hate you for the awkward and humiliating entry/exit. Gas mileage is excellent.