1995 Saab 900 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
6 or 8 cyl. - It Makes a Difference
By Oregonjim on 07/05/09 16:39 PM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible S 2dr Convertible

I have driven SAABs more or less steadily since the 1970's. I love the feel of the car, and the used ones are cheap compared to the quality. But when I went to buy one a couple of years ago, I was warned not to buy the V6. And from the reviews here, I would say that was right advice. My 4-cyl. convertible at 120,000 miles just lost its clutch cable. Other than that, it has been a champion. I love how it corners and how it feels on the road, and I love the mileage: I get over 32 mpg on road trips and 26-7 in town. I spent $400 to get the top adjusted, and it works without a hitch now. Only problems: shift lever knob came apart, glove compartment lock failed, and seat lever cables broke.

First Love
By dcpumpkin on 12/11/08 06:52 AM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible

I thought it was about time I share my love for my car with the rest of the world. I never want to drive anything else again. I am the third owner. My car has 160k miles on it and the only problem with the performance I have ever had is that sometimes the car hesitates when I drive it gently. I still haven't figured out why. The convertible top is finicky and sometimes just won't go down. And the leather on the front seats is cracked. I don't notice that when sitting in them though :) The engine gives me as much power as I could want whenever I ask for it. I get about 26mpg. I do a bit of every kind of driving; city, highway, country roads. I would drive this car forever.

Fun to drive
By Mickey on 01/24/08 13:28 PM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible

I wasn't sure I wanted to buy this vehicle even after test driving it. It was 3 weeks later before I bought it. With a bit of luck I have a good mechanic how was very knowledgable with the saab. He told me it was a very good vehicle as far as this one is concerned. Someone took good care of it. I did have a lot of work done and was a bit of an expense but would not trade it for the world. I look forward to my 32 mile drive to work through the back roads of Chester county Pa. I love to have the top down as often as I can. I would not recommend this vehicle to those who bully on a vehicle but taken very good care of this vehicle will last another 100,000 miles. I love my saab.

fun car but stay away with.
By J W on 10/15/07 07:50 AM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible

I had this car for over 2 years now and bought it used. Ever since I owned the car, it gave me plenty of issue to deal with. The ignition switch, spark plug wires that cost $500, and things here and there. It finally died of timing belt mishaps where it was required to have replaced every 38,000 miles. It is stupid of me not to check that but that is crazy for every 38,000 miles! Since the top is falling apart, the shocks are gone, and half of the car does not run properly and it looks nice in the drive way with it's top down, I will have to let it goto the junk yard.

Fun little car
By Chis on 04/04/07 23:18 PM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

This car is great. I have had a BMW, a Mustang and other fun cars but when it comes to good looks that fit an adult, good solid OEM engine, driving fun and a lot of appeal this car really fit the mark. The car is 12 years old and looks perfect, the paint is perfect, the engine runs like a charm, and the seats are in great condition. Very little road noise even compaired to some non-conv.

12 years - still goin' strong
By George on 04/01/07 08:15 AM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible

This car has been a daily driver since we bought it new in '95. We have had no major problems and the car has seen tough duty here in the snow belt. Handles well in the winter, the convertible is great in the summer, good stereo, climate control. etc. It is expensive to repair: we replaced some AC parts and the tonneau cover motor, but fortunately repairs have been few and far between.

Saab
By lenny on 07/19/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible SE Turbo 2dr Convertible

I purchased this red convertible 2 years ago and still enjoy driving it (especially with the top down). I now have 128000 miles on this 2.0 turbo 5 speed 900SE that provides plenty of go and great mileage! If you treat it right it will treat you right. Do the maintenance to improve reliability.

Don't Buy a Saab with the V6 engine !!
By Charlie on 03/03/06 09:13 AM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible

I have owned this Saab for 1 year. 2 weeks ago it overheated all at once with no prior warnings - I assumed something innocuous like a sticking thermostat; imagine my surprise when the dealership informed me of a "ruptured oil cooler line"....I had never even heard of such a thing. 62k miles and it needs $3000 worth of engine work !!! No dealer assistance, and the people at Saab Customer Assistance waited a week before even calling the dealership, then told me, car is too old, too many miles, acted like I was an inconvenience, Based on my experience, I could not recommend a saab to anybody under any circumstances - bad motor, they know it, I had saab technicians tell me it was just a bad engine design from the start, this wasn't the only problem I had, only the biggest - buy at your own risk if you dare

Saabs are different !!
By Charlie on 01/31/06 11:38 AM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible SE V6 2dr Convertible

I've had this '95 SE 900 for almost a year, and have had some unusual things happen. The driver's side seat belt slipped out of my hand, locked up, and the whole assembly had to be replaced! Over $400. Motor for the tonneau cover went bad, $500+ for part, $200 labor. Gaskets on head covers replaced, $600+. It wouldn't be so bad considering the age of the car, but it only had 58K miles on it when I bought it. You also have to make sure to have the timing belt replaced religiously. Overall, with parts & labor so high, if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought a different make. These are as expensive to maintain as BMWs, Jags, etc.

best old car
By luvsaab on 08/25/05 18:27 PM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 Convertible S 2dr Convertible

I luv this car! Owned it now almost 10 years. Maintainence is a must, by reliable tech, but worth the ride. Solid with well designed panels etc. Great gas milage. Just sad it is getting old......top down, great......top up, quiet. Old Saab is best design.