1995 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
Bad Car
By James on 12/10/09 17:23 PM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

I really hate this car. It has been nothing but a lemon. I would not recommend anyone purchase this year or model. Bad transmission, bad engine, poor handling.

Possessed from day one!
By Sprang on 11/01/09 20:46 PM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 SE V6 4dr Hatchback

It's funny that I've read so much about the timing issues in the v-6 which is the only problem I've never encountered with this car! Back in its day day it was fast and smooth, however almost monthly I encountered problem after problem! Strut towers completely rotted out, stalling, fuel pump issues, a $500 dollar tune-up, throttle body issues, constant leaking issues in the trunk, frozen rear calipers etc.etc.etc.! Basically the car is junk now with only over 100k miles. Oh and unless a mechanic has a tech 2 scanner you're pretty much screwed as Saab made sure these were pretty much unfixable unless a dealer was involved...Long story short...Good Luck or get a BMW or a Honda!

6 or 8 cyl. - It Makes a Difference
By Oregonjim on 07/05/09 16:39 PM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I have driven SAABs more or less steadily since the 1970's. I love the feel of the car, and the used ones are cheap compared to the quality. But when I went to buy one a couple of years ago, I was warned not to buy the V6. And from the reviews here, I would say that was right advice. My 4-cyl. convertible at 120,000 miles just lost its clutch cable. Other than that, it has been a champion. I love how it corners and how it feels on the road, and I love the mileage: I get over 32 mpg on road trips and 26-7 in town. I spent $400 to get the top adjusted, and it works without a hitch now. Only problems: shift lever knob came apart, glove compartment lock failed, and seat lever cables broke.

Good, but Expensive
By zachrikature on 03/26/09 10:55 AM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 SE V6 4dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 82K, with all the maintenance records since new. It was beautiful, but thanks to an ignorant previous owner, he didn't replace the timing belt at 60K. The engine blew, after the engine was replaced for $2200 the clutch cable went shortly after. Other than that it has been reliable for the past eight months with no problems.

Don't buy this car.
By Sad SAAB Owner on 02/28/09 10:38 AM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

This has been a miserable vehicle from day one. 3 water pumps in the first 40,000 miles. Incredibly expensive repair parts. Wheels bend when you run over a penny. Something breaks on a monthly basis. Sunroof leaks, but the part costs twice what the car is worth. Engine pulleys fly off at random periods. Let us pray that GM lets this miserable mark die a quick death.

Not happy
By muonionalusta on 01/05/09 21:34 PM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

I've had this car since new. The only reason I've kept it so long is that it is sort of a challenging game now to keep it alive. Everything, I mean everything breaks on these things. Just as soon as I think nothing else can break, something does. Just 130K miles. But every suspension piece has been replaced, including the rear axle which is easily bent. Radiator, window regulators, power steering pump, rear main seal, headliner, head gasket, clutch cable. AC compressor, fuel pump. Even the steering wheel fell apart. New parts from Saab are ridiculously expensive ($250 dollars for the headlight wiper motor). You've got to be absolutely crazy to even think about owning one of these

First Love
By dcpumpkin on 12/11/08 06:52 AM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 SE V6 2dr Convertible

I thought it was about time I share my love for my car with the rest of the world. I never want to drive anything else again. I am the third owner. My car has 160k miles on it and the only problem with the performance I have ever had is that sometimes the car hesitates when I drive it gently. I still haven't figured out why. The convertible top is finicky and sometimes just won't go down. And the leather on the front seats is cracked. I don't notice that when sitting in them though :) The engine gives me as much power as I could want whenever I ask for it. I get about 26mpg. I do a bit of every kind of driving; city, highway, country roads. I would drive this car forever.

My 4 Door 900S just keeps on running.
By Mike from Jersey on 09/02/08 13:57 PM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

I bought my 1995 900S on the internet in 2006. The car has 92K and a perfect car fax. The original owner only dealer serviced the car for it's first 11 years. It was involved in crash and needed a fender & door. Because of this I bought the car for $1200. I bought original parts online and a local body man put it all back together for $600.00. Sure my serpentine belt let go without warning. Lucky I stopped immediately. The clutch cable also let go. I have a really good Import guy. No more dealer service.The belt job with all new pulleys was $185.00. The Clutch cable job was $150.00. Saab wanted $650.00 for the job. I am happy for a total of 2K US this baby runs strong & Looks Sharp.

Fun to drive
By Mickey on 01/24/08 13:28 PM (PST)

1995 Saab 900 SE V6 2dr Convertible

I wasn't sure I wanted to buy this vehicle even after test driving it. It was 3 weeks later before I bought it. With a bit of luck I have a good mechanic how was very knowledgable with the saab. He told me it was a very good vehicle as far as this one is concerned. Someone took good care of it. I did have a lot of work done and was a bit of an expense but would not trade it for the world. I look forward to my 32 mile drive to work through the back roads of Chester county Pa. I love to have the top down as often as I can. I would not recommend this vehicle to those who bully on a vehicle but taken very good care of this vehicle will last another 100,000 miles. I love my saab.

fun car but stay away with.
By J W on 10/15/07 07:50 AM (PDT)

1995 Saab 900 SE V6 2dr Convertible

I had this car for over 2 years now and bought it used. Ever since I owned the car, it gave me plenty of issue to deal with. The ignition switch, spark plug wires that cost $500, and things here and there. It finally died of timing belt mishaps where it was required to have replaced every 38,000 miles. It is stupid of me not to check that but that is crazy for every 38,000 miles! Since the top is falling apart, the shocks are gone, and half of the car does not run properly and it looks nice in the drive way with it's top down, I will have to let it goto the junk yard.