1994 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
An intellectual's gem
By treeweezel on 04/17/11 13:40 PM (PDT)

1994 Saab 900 S 4dr Hatchback

You get a highly intelligent package: a very reasonable dose of sport, a cozy but pleasant cabin, and a beautiful aerodynamic back end. One huge perk is the cargo room- it's basically a wagon. Aero, capacious, sporting, the back end has it all. The car has gotten more stylish with age. Socially it was the equivalent of the Prius in its day. Then newer cars came with stubby, blobular shapes, making the Saab look long, elegant, and clean cut. REPAIRS?? Yes you will need to do them. The cost is the same as generic cars of the era plus 30%. The car is not unstoppable, but it is unkillable. After any given repair, you could have thousands of miles before your next.

Saab's are terrific!
By YogiMac on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Saab 900 Turbo 2dr Convertible

I bought this 5 speed 16v through the internet w/119,000 miles. I put a lot of money into it to get it back to life as the previous owner let the maintenance go. Expensive to fix if you do not have knowledge to repair minor things, or if you do not stay on top of general maintenance. The turbo's are sensitive and may not start if the oil is dirty. The cars do leak oil as they get older. It is important to keep the oil, antifreeze/coolant levels topped off too. Check cooling fans regularly or risk buying a new head gasket! Built with solid interior parts w/ a noise level next to nothing even as a convertible. The turbo whistle up is like listening to a symphony even @175,000 miles!

Sleeper
By Stephen on 10/24/07 07:45 AM (PDT)

1994 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is a great car for any consumer. The handling needs improvement but the acceleration is great. I have the turbocharged version, and the acceleration is great. I just installed a manual boost controller to increase the boost up to about 14 psi and rear anti-roll bar to reduce body roll, and the car feels great. This is my favorite car to drive, by far, and I have more mods planned in the near future. I drive my Saab very hard which is why I recommend suspension upgrades.

TCS Rocks!
By BrianinPDX on 09/16/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

1994 Saab 900 SE V6 4dr Hatchback

I've had my Saab for almost 2 years now and although I've spent a few bucks on it I can't say it's any worse then other cars its age. Mine has the "dreaded" V6 engine; I did have to replace the timing belt and tensioner (a common problem/flaw of the engine). The timing belt will need to be replaced in about another 10K miles. All said, considering the overall comfort and performance of this car, I can't complain. The Traction Control System is amazing. We don't get much snow here in Portland but when we do it creates a mess. I got caught in our one big storm last winter and this car got me home safe and sound. If you want a comfortable winter driver, get a Saab.

Good Car
By snoborderphx on 09/01/07 13:09 PM (PDT)

1994 Saab 900 SE Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I paid $2300 for a very nice car. It has a lot of amenities I really enjoy and drives very well. The stick is not very forgiving so you kind of have to know how to drive a stick well before getting in this car. I drove a stick for about 5-6 years before this and I'm still not used to it. It's a good car though, feels strong and it doesn't appear to have any problems! Cheers!

Stay away from GM
By tonyv on 07/30/07 22:10 PM (PDT)

1994 Saab 900 SE V6 4dr Hatchback

V6-Love hate relationship. Never had a car that left me stranded so often. Glad it had a long warranty, it needed it. Funny engine noises=3 H2O pumps. Engine shut down on Illinois Tollway (don't expect help from the police or anybody) outside of Rockford with no warning. No dealership at that time in Rockford. Towed to Madison. Dealership took care of me, got to drive a tiny Kia for 3 weeks. Wished I towed it to Concours in Milw., would have had a new 9000 to drive. Battery shot in first year. Made mistake of going on vacation and not starting it for 7 days. Never replaced so many light bulbs, head, signal, dome, etc. Wished I bought the Saab 4 cyl. turbo.

1994 Saab 900 Convertible
By Tony on 07/04/07 21:35 PM (PDT)

1994 Saab 900 Turbo 2dr Convertible

I have had this vehicle since 1994 and it handles like a new vehicle. Everything is still tight and handling is excellent. It has 117,000 miles and I keep it looking new. It is an expensive car to own since I try to maintain is looks and performance but it is worth it is since I always get compliments on it.

A Classic Dream Car
By Steve P. on 04/07/06 06:35 AM (PDT)

1994 Saab 900 Commemorative Turbo 2dr Convertible

Bought this to replace a perfectly fine 1999 9-3 Turbo hatchback. Wanted the convertible and the classic 900 style in IMO nicer than the newer styles. It being a Commenmorative gave extra HP and style. This is the best car I have owned for fun and reliability. If you are lucky to find one in good shape, grab it!

Good Cheap Car in Disguise
By Joe on 02/17/06 16:22 PM (PST)

1994 Saab 900 SE V6 4dr Hatchback

I just sold this car. A beautiful '94 SE V6. I miss the quick acceleration and 30+Mpg. There were some gremlins- SID malfunction, windshield washer pump and temp gauge stopped working (quick fix about 14 bucks!!!) Overall was very impressed. The car had 148k when I sold it and it probably is still running around. The cost of repairs were high though, cam seals (ALL FOUR) went at 138K and had that replaced with timing belt and WP for over 2 grand. The car wasn't as smooth as other V6s but I gave chase to a 540i on the highway until he switched to 6th gear and took off we were neck and neck at 150mph!!! The trunk was HUGE and allowed me to lug all sorts of stuff. Well worth the depreciated price!!!!

This is my 2nd Saab
By Susan on 07/06/05 10:42 AM (PDT)

1994 Saab 900 SE V6 4dr Hatchback

This is my second Saab. The first one is still running well at 200,000 miles. It's too bad that the hatchback is not being made anymore. It was very easy to transport many items. This car loves cold weather. It starts right up.