Used 1993 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

Addicted to my classic
By kittnchow

1993 Saab 900 Turbo 2dr Convertible

I am head-over-heels for this car. It LOOKS fabulous. They don't call it the Classic for nothing, so European. We turn heads all the time, especially when I open the hood (forwards). The acceleration is sublime and so sexy. It handles curves,mine and the road's. The sound of that engine: from the roar at the start, to the purr of its counterbalanced pistons to the whine of the turbo spooling is all music to me. Made from jets. I'm almost 60 years old and a woman, yet I now lay rubber and do a few donuts from time to time. Life is short.and I LOVE her!

Favorite Features

SPEED! Acceleration, turbo spooling sound and precision engine purrrrrrrr. The seat HUGS so soothingly and the twin wishbone suspension secures you even deeper into the seats as you conquer those tight curves. It looks so European and striking. It is made very very well. Mine has 215,000 miles and I have only replaced the clutch and a few minor things. I love her.

Suggested Improvements

The bad: The wipers are wimpy, the latches on the ragtop are wimpy and they break. NO cupholders, hard to reach the seatbelt, leaks sometimes, the carpet could be denser. The car is 18 years old and 215,000 miles so these are not horrible events considering her long and loyal service. NO cupholders: I use an old sneaker on the passenger seat. My fourth and favorite Saab. Long live the classic.

Fun Car. Have $$$ for Repairs.
By Dan

1993 Saab 900 S 2dr Convertible

I have owned many, many SAABS (6, to be exact). They are excellent cars. The only downside is that they are expensive to repair, even if you know how to do the work yourself. If you are looking for a fun, quirky ride that will be noticed, buy one. Just make sure you have money left over.

Favorite Features

Design. Everything was engineered for the driver. Makes this car feel and handle excellently. Regular maintenance on the engine will keep it running well past 300,000 miles. It was a design well ahead of its day.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really suggest improvements- SAAB is next to dead (GM is about to wind it up). BUT: transmissions are weak; electrical issues abound (rear light assembly especially), and new parts are expensive.

The Classic Saab
By Pete

1993 Saab 900 S 4dr Sedan

Purchased this as my first car, 5 years ago, with 95,000 miles. Still runs strong, looks great, drives beautifully. Daily commuter, 80 miles a day, and can still do 100 mph. Great quality vehicle. Repairs are wicked expensive though, so I do most of them myself. The automatic transmission is on it's way out... the costs is going to be so much that I might have to junk the car...sadly. It should last another 2 years though and I'll be glad I had a car as reliable as this classic 900.

A fun classic, but needed a few changes.
By thecapitalizt

1993 Saab 900 Turbo 2dr Convertible

only 1 owner, bought at 49,000 miles.Was weekend car. The stock CD/radiocombo died 2 months after purchase due to a design flaw in the amp. Only had a bad thermostat, but needs a new master cylinder for clutch. Other than that,works fine. Heats up quickly in winter.A lot of body flex, but thats a given for a convertible. Its a blast w/ the turbo, but something might be broken w/my car b/c it gets around 13 MPG currently. Excellent cornering, only problem is the low ground clearance. Reliability varies, can get 60,000 or300,000 out of various parts, it depends on your luck. Beware, if you can't get apart second-hand, a new/refurb part will cost you.

Suggested Improvements

MOVE THE INTERIOR LIGHT SWITCH! It's directly between the shifter and ignition, and thus very easy to accidentially hit it into 'always on'and run down your battery overnight. I've drained my battery 3 times that way. Power seatback for driver side failed so that only one side forward/back.

The greatest car ever built-under $20k
By berknic

1993 Saab 900 S 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle in 2001 and I have no regrets. It has been a great car and fun to drive. The repairs are expensive, however, most of the things I've replaced in the past few years were original parts. I have 220k miles on the car--it starts and goes each and every day without fail.

Favorite Features

This is the last year of the "real" Saab body style. I get tons of comments on how cool the car looks and everyone is amazed to find that I'm on my way to 300k. The body has one rust spot and the paint has held up very well in upstate New York State winters.

Suggested Improvements

Electric problems--cruise, interior lights, etc...