Used 1990 Saab 900 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 900 model:

Original 900
By Jeff Kiefer

1990 Saab 900 2dr Hatchback

Original owner of basic 900 5 speed. Car has great utility, execellent accurate steering and is a quality car. It is very comfortable and fun to drive. Mine is a non turbo so not much power but it is smooth. Other than a head gasket and changing the AC over not much trouble. 138,000 miles. Fairchild in Bellingham has taken care of it at reasonable prices. Still love it and can't find any car with it's attributes I like.

Favorite Features

Cargo space. Accurate steering. Individual style and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Bring Saab back!

My favorite car ever
By cactusleaf

1990 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Mine was a 1989, but 1990 was as far back as Edmunds goes! So, my 900S hatchback was the best car I'd ever owned. It was a rustbox.. it spent its life in New England and Syracuse, NY, so road salt had its way with it. But despite the body rot, this thing was a trooper. It never left me stranded, it never leaked oil (until the very end), and all I ever had to do was brakes and exhaust. Can't beat it in the snow, and for quick maneuvers. It has a strange interior, but so damn comfortable. Everything is in its place, and your hands just go where they need to. The clutch is so forgiving, the transmission a tank, and the handling quite solid. It feels like no other car.. so very endearing.

Favorite Features

My favorite thing is the way it feels to sit in and drive. It has this little European feel to it that can't be explained. You feel so unbelievably connected to the road. It is kinda bumpy and clunky, but the feedback you feel from the wheel and the clutch and your butt in the seat is unparalleled. Zero degrees of separation, and very responsive pedals. Of course, part of that is the relatively uninsulated cabin, which makes for a raw, loud, sometimes cold or hot ride, but the feeling makes up for it. I also love the loads of space. With the rear seats folded flat, it's like a damn flatbed truck. Two people could sleep in back. Such utility. And looks! Best hatchback ever designed, period.

Suggested Improvements

It doesn't have much torque. I wish I had the turbo (which is insanely fun to drive). At least the transmission kinda makes up for the lack of horsepower. I had the manual, which was geared well for some extra bite in low RPMs, but even the 3-speed auto, while inexplicably weird, does a good job of being punchy. The Clarion sound system is pretty terrible. The A/C seems to be prone to breaking, but mine was fine as I'm sure it had been fixed in the past (it had been converted to 134a). The interior is hilariously loud. The ride is raw and bumpy. It does feel like a roll-cage around you though, like a tank, and it does well in collisions, but it could be less utilitarian. Headliner sucks!

1990 Saab 900 vert
By safghfhfgh

1990 Saab 900 Turbo 2dr Convertible

If you get a good one, these things will go to 300,000 with no probs, if you get a neglected example, get ready for some huge bills! The mechanics under the hood are hard to work on, the engine is rare, and few repair shops will accept them. But Walmart changes the oil for a good price.

Favorite Features

The exhaust note, full convertible experience (no roll bars like VW Golf), 30 mpg and very comfortable seats. Pretty reliable too, if you service it properly.

Suggested Improvements

The 3 sp auto box couple to the turbo engine is very weak, and blunts performance. The 5 speed is much better, but requires an oil change every year! If this is not done, metal swarf will destroy it. Check the turbo carefully- it is a 2K fix, it will make a whizzz noise+blue smoke if it is going.

Why the 1990 SAAB (pre GM) is best
By J wheeler

1990 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Bought the 900 "S" at 17 years old - with 130K miles. It's been a sports car, I keep it waxed and the leather seats supple. Beautiful ride, fun, and 35 miles per gallon - the GW Bush target for 2020!. It cost me $100 U.S.D. and I will continue to upgrade it when things break (clutch, etc.). Far better savings than buying new and losing thousands driving off the lot. JDW

Favorite Features

Handling is superb, it tracks straight with a pair of Michelins.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the used parts available - there are plenty of owners looking for parts.

Avoid this car
By Concerned

1990 Saab 900 S 4dr Sedan

I am always leary of scathing reviews of anything, because nothing in my opinion can be all bad. Well, except for the paint job, pretty much everything about this car is a nightmare. I would not wish this car on anyone, unless you're a Saab mechanic and have numerous parts cars to draw from. My car spent more time in the shop, then on the road. I never raced it, crashed it or mis-treated it. It left me high and dry on so many occasions, I danced for joy when I finally sold it. (Literally, danced for joy) The best part of owning this car, was selling it. It did have nice paint though, even after being 16 years old when I sold it.

Favorite Features

The paint held up very well over the years.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanically should be changed. Sunroof motor, gear box, catalytic converter, starter motor, A/C, ignition.