1990 Saab 900 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 900 model:
My favorite car ever
By cactusleaf on 02/03/14 23:18 PM (PST)

1990 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Mine was a 1989, but 1990 was as far back as Edmunds goes! So, my 900S hatchback was the best car I'd ever owned. It was a rustbox.. it spent its life in New England and Syracuse, NY, so road salt had its way with it. But despite the body rot, this thing was a trooper. It never left me stranded, it never leaked oil (until the very end), and all I ever had to do was brakes and exhaust. Can't beat it in the snow, and for quick maneuvers. It has a strange interior, but so damn comfortable. Everything is in its place, and your hands just go where they need to. The clutch is so forgiving, the transmission a tank, and the handling quite solid. It feels like no other car.. so very endearing.

1990 Saab 900 vert
By safghfhfgh on 05/23/08 15:26 PM (PDT)

1990 Saab 900 Turbo 2dr Convertible

If you get a good one, these things will go to 300,000 with no probs, if you get a neglected example, get ready for some huge bills! The mechanics under the hood are hard to work on, the engine is rare, and few repair shops will accept them. But Walmart changes the oil for a good price.

Why the 1990 SAAB (pre GM) is best
By J wheeler on 04/22/08 22:57 PM (PDT)

1990 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

Bought the 900 "S" at 17 years old - with 130K miles. It's been a sports car, I keep it waxed and the leather seats supple. Beautiful ride, fun, and 35 miles per gallon - the GW Bush target for 2020!. It cost me $100 U.S.D. and I will continue to upgrade it when things break (clutch, etc.). Far better savings than buying new and losing thousands driving off the lot. JDW

Avoid this car
By Concerned on 07/29/07 12:21 PM (PDT)

1990 Saab 900 S 4dr Sedan

I am always leary of scathing reviews of anything, because nothing in my opinion can be all bad. Well, except for the paint job, pretty much everything about this car is a nightmare. I would not wish this car on anyone, unless you're a Saab mechanic and have numerous parts cars to draw from. My car spent more time in the shop, then on the road. I never raced it, crashed it or mis-treated it. It left me high and dry on so many occasions, I danced for joy when I finally sold it. (Literally, danced for joy) The best part of owning this car, was selling it. It did have nice paint though, even after being 16 years old when I sold it.

Unique and Underappreciated
By Chris on 01/01/07 18:57 PM (PST)

1990 Saab 900 Turbo 2dr Convertible

We purchased our 900 Turbo new. We soon fell in love with its unique character and special qualities. Despite driving many other cars, we still love it and have come to understand that these were very special cars. While many 900s have been neglected or come into the hands of mechanics or owners who do not understand them, they are very durable if properly looked after. They do, however, require regular expert maintenance and quality parts which are not cheap. We have always had our 900 serviced at either a dealer or at least a marque specialist and have only had two minor problems in 16 years. The best thing about our 900 is the fun we have driving it. I wish Saab still made this car.

No one makes them like these anymore.
By ShawnJ on 03/09/06 08:57 AM (PST)

1990 Saab 900 4dr Sedan

I checked all of the reviews on these old Saabs before purchasing one. I wanted an inexpensive car that was good on gas and would last a long time. This is what everyone wants right? Well these old cars are it. They are so unique looking and definitely fun to drive. They have this stigma about them that is hard to explain. I got an incredible deal on mine. It is a 1990 and I only paid 1800 dollars for it with 65000 original miles. It now has 81000 and no signs of slowing down. These cars really do go forever. I have only fixed routine things (brakes, muffler etc...) So find a good mechanic that can work on these cars and one that is cheap. Do that and you will have a great car!

Excellent
By AsherSPG on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Saab 900 SPG Turbo 2dr Hatchback

The SAAB 900 SPG is a beautiful vehicle. Having owned mine since March 2002, I have enjoyed every minute of ownereship. The car, if respected is great to drive, and never fails to bring a smile to my face. It has a timeless design and a few people have asked me if it was the new 9-3 (obviously not SAAB afficionados ). Pay close attention to maintenance and it will treat you well. I would highly recommend a SAAB to anyone.

SPG for Me, For enthusiasts not avg. joe
By GHOATS on 08/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Saab 900 SPG Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have owned this car for 7 years to date (2004) and it has been the love of my life. This is definitely a vehicle intended for enthusiasts or hobbyists who are interested in maintaining a vehicle. I have had the need to replace parts (shocks, alternator, starter, clutch, etc.) however I find nothing out of the ordinary for a luxury segment vehicle and its mileage. The fuel economy, performance of a turbo-4 cyl. and utility of a saab hatchback are second to none. This car has performed reliably as long as I maintained it.

My Saab
By ama on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

I love to drive this car. I know it looks different and sometime I get a few strange looks, but I would not drive any other car.

First SAAB
By Sprintdriver on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Saab 900 S 2dr Hatchback

The '90 was our first SAAB. From this experiance came two more, first a new '99 9-3 then a 2000 Viggen. The 900S is the real classic though. It, unfortunately is to be replaced on 10- 03 as it has begun to show signs of it's nearly 240,000 miles. It's to be replaced with another 2000 9-3. The 90 900S is a true classic that I will miss.