2006 Saab 9-7X SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-7X model:
Good SUV, but short-lived
By Saab Guy 2500 on 08/25/10 10:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 5.3i 4dr SUV AWD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 9-7X 5.3i a little over a year ago with 56,000 miles. It has been a good vehicle, but I recently have had several complications with it. When it turned about 65,000 miles, I noticed that there was a lot of wind noise on the highway. It sounded like the windows were not shut. I had the doors bent and seals replaced, and that fixed that. Then while gassing it up one day, I started it to find that the gas gauge read that it was empty and I had just filled it full. This was quite a spendy procedure to fix, as the gas tank had to be dropped from underneath. Also, the ride tends to be rough and bouncy. My biggest complaint is the poor MPG (I average 13 in town, 17 on highway).

Great Family Car with Sporty Feel
By Great Family Car wit on 04/21/10 10:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 5.3i 4dr SUV AWD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This car is fully loaded. Nav, DVD, V8. Handles great, is very reliable. Our daughter feels like the car is part of the family. Great in snow and is faster than my BMW.

Frustrated and Fearful
By Frustrated on 01/22/10 05:02 AM (PST)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my SAAB 9.7x just over 2 yrs. Mileage at purchased 23,000. Before my 9.7x, I owned 1998 Lexus ES and 2002 Audi A6. I travel three months out of the year averaging about 300 additional (highway) miles per week. Repairs to date: over $4,000 from wheel suspension and other minor problems. Last week, the fan for heat stopped blowing @ $340 (I live in Iowa); to the most recent problem--the fuel connector quoted at $700+ (fuel shows on "empty"). And now, I have concerns with performance. All this at 68,000 miles! I change the oil every 3,000 miles, align wheels regularly and do the regular checks on all fluids. Sound system gets hot when on for too long. I'm fearful of what's next

Great buy
By Dave on 09/12/09 10:48 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 5.3i 4dr SUV AWD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my 06 9-7x 5.3 I have owned many SUVs and this is the best one. 300 hp and I can get 24 mpg on a trip. The interior feels strong and solid unlike my old Nissan.

Terribly disappointed
By Terribly disappointe on 07/22/09 04:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have been a Saab fan for years and have really never heard anything bad said about them. I bought mine used in June, 2009. It only had 38,000 miles on it. I had it in the service repair shop 4 times in the first month of ownership. Twice for suspension problems and twice for door seals. The suspension seems to be ok now but the seals obviously are not. It still sounds like the windows are down when riding above 45mph. The MPG is HORRIBLE! It gets 12, sometimes 13 MPG around town (not heavy traffic either). It has only gotten 16 on the highway. I will not fault Saab. I fault GM for trying to tweak a normal American SUV into a Saab. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Converted to SAAB
By richard on 06/29/09 10:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 9-7 for $14,000 with 35,000 miles. I recently hit 52,000 and the only thing I have replaced are the original tires and standard oil changes. Sweet ride with adequate power and great looks. I have three kids who play sports and the 9-7x has been a great animal and kid hauler. I average 18-19 mpg in Atlanta city and hwy traffic. Best value on the road!

Good Vehicle for Price
By AK Driver on 05/21/09 12:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle for my wife to transport the kids around. It is very comfortable and roomy for a smaller SUV. The engine does very well for an I6, but fuel mileage could be better (I guess you can have one or the other more power less mileage or more mileage less power). Bought it used and a good investment so far. Had a slight alignment issue, once fixed have had no problems. One frustrating thing is it is very hard to get accessories for this vehicle. Overall good vehicle for the price.

I see another one about once a month...
By 3saabmike on 04/25/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 5.3i 4dr SUV AWD (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love this SUV. I needed an SUV for work as I demonstrate medical equipment and have to carry around equipment that weighs 300 pounds and is about the size of a small dresser, so I looked at the SAAB and was impressed. I had driven a Trailblazer for 100k miles before this and there is no comparison. I like the sophisticated looks and the fact that when it breaks I can take advantage of lower priced GM parts bin stuff. This is the main reason I didn't buy the Cayenne. I am at 40,000 miles right now and nothing has gone wrong. The only thing that wore prematurely were the brake rotors at 22,000 miles, which wasn't bad as it only cost a few hundred bucks to fix.

Get one if you can
By Steve on 04/16/09 06:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Our 97-x replaced a leased Honda Pilot. We weren't sure at that time whether we had made a good decision... but after a few weeks it was apparent that we got a lot of SUV for the money. Three kids (two in booster seats) fit easily into the rear seat, and there is at least as much storage room behind the seat as the Pilot (maybe even more). The front seats are very comfortable and we really like the dual climate control, since my wife is always cold and I'm always warm! The 18 inch tires provide a very smooth ride. We bought is used at a great saving from the original price and so far it has been worth every cent. I would recommend this SUV.

So what if it's not built in Sweden
By saabwonkka on 12/21/08 19:36 PM (PST)

2006 Saab 9-7X SUV 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've been a Saab fanatic and have had numerous Saabs from classic 900s to a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon. I was skeptical to even consider a "Saab" built in Ohio. So let's get a few things straight, yes it's based on a trailblazer/envoy and built in the USA, it's a great all around SUV for everyday use. It has just enough ground clearance to get through those plow piles at the end of your driveway. The all wheel drive system works great when you need it (no you 4wd people, it doesn't have locking diffs or low range 4wd) but how often do you really need that stuff. The 9-7x has been reliable and comfortable. It won't take you across the Sahara but it will take you anywhere you "really" must go!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.