2006 Saab 9-7X - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-7X model:
Frustrated and Fearful
By Frustrated on 01/22/10 05:02 AM (PST)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my SAAB 9.7x just over 2 yrs. Mileage at purchased 23,000. Before my 9.7x, I owned 1998 Lexus ES and 2002 Audi A6. I travel three months out of the year averaging about 300 additional (highway) miles per week. Repairs to date: over $4,000 from wheel suspension and other minor problems. Last week, the fan for heat stopped blowing @ $340 (I live in Iowa); to the most recent problem--the fuel connector quoted at $700+ (fuel shows on "empty"). And now, I have concerns with performance. All this at 68,000 miles! I change the oil every 3,000 miles, align wheels regularly and do the regular checks on all fluids. Sound system gets hot when on for too long. I'm fearful of what's next

Terribly disappointed
By Terribly disappointe on 07/22/09 04:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have been a Saab fan for years and have really never heard anything bad said about them. I bought mine used in June, 2009. It only had 38,000 miles on it. I had it in the service repair shop 4 times in the first month of ownership. Twice for suspension problems and twice for door seals. The suspension seems to be ok now but the seals obviously are not. It still sounds like the windows are down when riding above 45mph. The MPG is HORRIBLE! It gets 12, sometimes 13 MPG around town (not heavy traffic either). It has only gotten 16 on the highway. I will not fault Saab. I fault GM for trying to tweak a normal American SUV into a Saab. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Converted to SAAB
By richard on 06/29/09 10:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 9-7 for $14,000 with 35,000 miles. I recently hit 52,000 and the only thing I have replaced are the original tires and standard oil changes. Sweet ride with adequate power and great looks. I have three kids who play sports and the 9-7x has been a great animal and kid hauler. I average 18-19 mpg in Atlanta city and hwy traffic. Best value on the road!

Good Vehicle for Price
By AK Driver on 05/21/09 12:22 PM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle for my wife to transport the kids around. It is very comfortable and roomy for a smaller SUV. The engine does very well for an I6, but fuel mileage could be better (I guess you can have one or the other more power less mileage or more mileage less power). Bought it used and a good investment so far. Had a slight alignment issue, once fixed have had no problems. One frustrating thing is it is very hard to get accessories for this vehicle. Overall good vehicle for the price.

Get one if you can
By Steve on 04/16/09 06:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Our 97-x replaced a leased Honda Pilot. We weren't sure at that time whether we had made a good decision... but after a few weeks it was apparent that we got a lot of SUV for the money. Three kids (two in booster seats) fit easily into the rear seat, and there is at least as much storage room behind the seat as the Pilot (maybe even more). The front seats are very comfortable and we really like the dual climate control, since my wife is always cold and I'm always warm! The 18 inch tires provide a very smooth ride. We bought is used at a great saving from the original price and so far it has been worth every cent. I would recommend this SUV.

So what if it's not built in Sweden
By saabwonkka on 12/21/08 19:36 PM (PST)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've been a Saab fanatic and have had numerous Saabs from classic 900s to a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon. I was skeptical to even consider a "Saab" built in Ohio. So let's get a few things straight, yes it's based on a trailblazer/envoy and built in the USA, it's a great all around SUV for everyday use. It has just enough ground clearance to get through those plow piles at the end of your driveway. The all wheel drive system works great when you need it (no you 4wd people, it doesn't have locking diffs or low range 4wd) but how often do you really need that stuff. The 9-7x has been reliable and comfortable. It won't take you across the Sahara but it will take you anywhere you "really" must go!

Can't Go Wrong
By DDW on 11/25/08 12:22 PM (PST)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Very happy with this luxury SUV. Bought it used. Added Techron fuel system cleaner and got 2 MPG better than before. To connect my iPod, I had an iSimple installed to the existing Bose system. Works and sounds great! Stock tires don't work well in snow, so I put on Hancook Icebears and now can go thru anything and do not give up much on dry roads. Fuel economy suffers from the 3.73 differentials versus the 3.45 on GM cousins, but low gears do improve the get up and go. With 277 lb-ft of torque, they could have made the down shift from 4th to 3rd later. This thing spends more time in 3rd gear than our Pontiac Vibe.

My car is in the shop while I'm typing!
By NUBULLY on 01/07/08 11:59 AM (PST)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Run away from this SUV. When we leased this SUV, GM had a promo: give us 27 months. Well, this morning when I tried to start the engine it turned over but did not start (for the 5th time). I have 4 more months until the 27 months are up. I gave them 27 months and I know to stay away!!!! THIS is why you lease autos, if I purchased this SUV I would be out my mind right now. The car drives nice but it gets horrid gas mileage and its been in the shop a lot. The interior fit and finish are still good. The XM/Radio antenna wasn't installed properly as well as the R/S mirror was 1/2 installed when we took delivery. NYBULLY

Solid SUV regardless of origins
By Tom A on 01/27/07 22:09 PM (PST)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, it's a pretty mundane GM truck underneath the Saab-designed exterior. But it's got a great engine that gives fairly good fuel economy for the class, and the ability to tow more than its competitors. Plus it's more refined and better to drive than an Explorer, Grand Cherokee, 4Runner, and the like. And it's got great value. But more importantly, it's not like I'll lose it in a parking lot.

Great value but expect some issues
By BCR on 01/12/07 08:18 AM (PST)

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

If you can get this vehicle for under $35k you would have a tough time beating the value in the higher-end SUV market. It looks great (inside and out), is roomy, and the ride is OUTSTANDING. Saab-GM have done a great job improving the suspension, lowering the floor one inch (makes for easy in and out), and soundproofing the vehicle. If you have small ones, you'll love the latch points for car seats - they are extremely easy to get to. 4.2 has plenty of power. We live at high altitude and it takes climbs well. Disappointments - low beams and lumbar support did not work on delivery. Battery went dead after having the radio on for 10 minutes (battery power only). More storage please!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.