Used 2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-7X model:

Wonderful SUV
By mt_man

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been great and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The car looks great inside and out (from the front). The ride it terrific and the handling is great for an SUV.

Favorite Features

Memory seats, adjustable pedals, all the fun luxury items. Lots of power and very easy/comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The person who put a 4 speed transmission should be punished. When going over hills, it is constantly searching for gears and often spikes to over 4,000 RPM. Lack of a 5th gear also keeps the RPMs high at highway speed causing poor MPG. The cup holders are not good, specifically the one that pops out of the dash. Can't count the number of cups/bottles that have gone all over the floor. The rear of the car is straight off a Trailblazer/Rainier/Envoy. Saab in the front, Trailblazer in the back is not the most attractive combination.

Frustrated and Fearful
By Frustrated

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my SAAB 9.7x just over 2 yrs. Mileage at purchased 23,000. Before my 9.7x, I owned 1998 Lexus ES and 2002 Audi A6. I travel three months out of the year averaging about 300 additional (highway) miles per week. Repairs to date: over $4,000 from wheel suspension and other minor problems. Last week, the fan for heat stopped blowing @ $340 (I live in Iowa); to the most recent problem--the fuel connector quoted at $700+ (fuel shows on "empty"). And now, I have concerns with performance. All this at 68,000 miles! I change the oil every 3,000 miles, align wheels regularly and do the regular checks on all fluids. Sound system gets hot when on for too long. I'm fearful of what's next

Favorite Features

Satellite Radio & sound system, comfortable ride, adjustable (lumbar) and heated seats, steering fingertip control; roomy and great for traveling long distances with passengers

Suggested Improvements

Only one dealer in Iowa; need more repair shops. Extend SAAB warranty when purchasing.

Terribly disappointed
By Terribly disappointe

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have been a Saab fan for years and have really never heard anything bad said about them. I bought mine used in June, 2009. It only had 38,000 miles on it. I had it in the service repair shop 4 times in the first month of ownership. Twice for suspension problems and twice for door seals. The suspension seems to be ok now but the seals obviously are not. It still sounds like the windows are down when riding above 45mph. The MPG is HORRIBLE! It gets 12, sometimes 13 MPG around town (not heavy traffic either). It has only gotten 16 on the highway. I will not fault Saab. I fault GM for trying to tweak a normal American SUV into a Saab. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Favorite Features

The amenities are nice.

Suggested Improvements

MPG and suspension.

Converted to SAAB
By richard

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 9-7 for $14,000 with 35,000 miles. I recently hit 52,000 and the only thing I have replaced are the original tires and standard oil changes. Sweet ride with adequate power and great looks. I have three kids who play sports and the 9-7x has been a great animal and kid hauler. I average 18-19 mpg in Atlanta city and hwy traffic. Best value on the road!

Favorite Features

leather seats, sun roof, seats, XM radio, DVD player

Suggested Improvements

MPG, Wind noise, outside driver door / window, 3rd row seat that folds

Good Vehicle for Price
By AK Driver

2006 Saab 9-7X 4.2i 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle for my wife to transport the kids around. It is very comfortable and roomy for a smaller SUV. The engine does very well for an I6, but fuel mileage could be better (I guess you can have one or the other more power less mileage or more mileage less power). Bought it used and a good investment so far. Had a slight alignment issue, once fixed have had no problems. One frustrating thing is it is very hard to get accessories for this vehicle. Overall good vehicle for the price.

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability, power, and safety for the kids. Fit and finish. All wheel drive is great. Kids love the DVD player.

Suggested Improvements

Need more accessories like bug deflectors and mud guards. Need AUX input. Cup holder in dash a little quirky, need more cup holders. Fuel mileage could be a bit better.