Used 2005 Saab 9-7X Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saab 9-7x - Consumer Reviews

2005 Saab 9-7X

View reviews for a specific 9-7X model:

Most Helpful|
aircraft engineers rolling in graves
By JES

2005 Saab 9-7X Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My father is one of the designers of the F-14 and is astounded when I tell him how badly this car performs.The jerk-feel when shifting gears.The ridiculous interior design with no space to put anything, the rear cargo space that does not lie flat with rear seats down. The terrible suspension, the inability to seal sound of air from inside car,the front bumper which popped off due to cheap plastic pins (bumpers cost min $1,250). The pulling out of alingment and told it's normal. Blindspots, backing up you can't see a thing! Needs sensors. My Saab had water leak inside of it from rain. The dealer found out why in a release from one of many Saab does not give to owners. I waited for this car. What a waste!

Favorite Features

I honestly don't have one compared to other cars I've owned and driven in. There is nothing special about this car

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the size of the fuel box so cargo space lies flat. Better, more fluid transmission, a much better interior design this one is useless. Don't rush a car to market for sale to innocent consumers who expect the performance of a Saab but end up with a car that isn't ready.

Awesome Vehicle
By CMD

2005 Saab 9-7X Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought after my TrailBlazer was totaled in an accident, it held up so well I knew I wanted another vehicle on this platform. The 9-7X may look a lot like the TrailBlazer but it drives completely different. The handling is absolutely fabulous for a truck based SUV. The 4.2 L inline six is an excellent engine, I looked at the V8 but I feel that the six is just as good. Fuel economy may be bad for a car but it is an SUV so I find my averages of 17.3 city and 22.8 highway (about 72-74 mph) to be acceptable.

Favorite Features

Excellent handling and acceleration, very quiet inside, great interior design, Bose sound system, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Auto-dim rear view mirror, low-range 4-wheel drive though all-wheel drive is perfectly sufficient for almost all applications

Good SUV
By L8R

2005 Saab 9-7X Arc AWD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it cert pre-owned w 36k miles on it. Drove it from Florida to Alaska through Yukon without one hitch. V8 is sharp, powerful, easily passes 18 wheelers on 2 lane roads. Steering is very nimble for an SUV, but a little numb (prob GM-based). Makes u-turns as well as my sport car (in 2 and half lanes). Interior provides nearly every feature a Mercedes SUV does. Good interior size and rear seats fold down for carrying bigger stuff. Performs better than most cars in the snow and ice (use studded snow tires!) due to its immense weight, but the engine doesn't make it feel heavy. 1 and 2 gear perform very well without over revving. Heated seats burn my back! (Good thing w -25 F temp).

Favorite Features

Heated seats, climate control for front and rear passengers, DVD entertainment standard. Reliable despite driving conditions. Engine power, good mileage range (340 miles a tank), cargo room, exterior design, radio/XM, passenger mirror lowers in reverse for curb view, heater, turn radius.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder placement. Initiate 4wd smoothly at lower speed or from stop; can "knock" when 4wd kicks in on hills at 20-35 mph (like Yellowstone park); remove dated radio antenna; front fascia fits improperly at the sides without good fix but minor; engine/fluid heater; upgrade some plastics in cabin

FUN TO DRIVE
By Trish

2005 Saab 9-7X Arc AWD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Saab SUV Arc . It's safe, fun to drive and FAST! The V8 engine and horsepower are faster then most sport sedans which leaves the other drivers on the road with a surprised look on their faces. The only improvement I can see is the cup holders need to be improved. They are weak and they wobble. Also a navigation system would be nice! I plan on purchasing another in 2008.

Favorite Features

Fast pick up. Excellent handling. I feel safe in the car. Great looking too!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are weak and unstable. Could use a navigation system.

Pretty Good so Far
By Toyota Family

2005 Saab 9-7X Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The 9-7 has been great so far, the car is more comfortable than the living room and stereo/ air/ features are great. Friends compliment it a lot, and I never see them on the road, although they do look like a lot of cheaper GM cars. Only complaints are wind noise (not sure if it's side mirrors draft or sealing) and gas mileage (15 mpg avg over 15k miles). I don't commute so not such a big deal. Overall, I am very happy to be in the car.

Favorite Features

Stereo, leather, heat/cooling system, seats.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, wind noise.