2005 Saab 9-7X SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-7X model:
Awesome Vehicle
By CMD on 05/18/10 11:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought after my TrailBlazer was totaled in an accident, it held up so well I knew I wanted another vehicle on this platform. The 9-7X may look a lot like the TrailBlazer but it drives completely different. The handling is absolutely fabulous for a truck based SUV. The 4.2 L inline six is an excellent engine, I looked at the V8 but I feel that the six is just as good. Fuel economy may be bad for a car but it is an SUV so I find my averages of 17.3 city and 22.8 highway (about 72-74 mph) to be acceptable.

Good SUV
By L8R on 01/08/09 14:15 PM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Arc AWD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it cert pre-owned w 36k miles on it. Drove it from Florida to Alaska through Yukon without one hitch. V8 is sharp, powerful, easily passes 18 wheelers on 2 lane roads. Steering is very nimble for an SUV, but a little numb (prob GM-based). Makes u-turns as well as my sport car (in 2 and half lanes). Interior provides nearly every feature a Mercedes SUV does. Good interior size and rear seats fold down for carrying bigger stuff. Performs better than most cars in the snow and ice (use studded snow tires!) due to its immense weight, but the engine doesn't make it feel heavy. 1 and 2 gear perform very well without over revving. Heated seats burn my back! (Good thing w -25 F temp).

FUN TO DRIVE
By Trish on 12/19/06 20:25 PM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Arc AWD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Saab SUV Arc . It's safe, fun to drive and FAST! The V8 engine and horsepower are faster then most sport sedans which leaves the other drivers on the road with a surprised look on their faces. The only improvement I can see is the cup holders need to be improved. They are weak and they wobble. Also a navigation system would be nice! I plan on purchasing another in 2008.

Pretty Good so Far
By Toyota Family on 12/14/06 13:27 PM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

The 9-7 has been great so far, the car is more comfortable than the living room and stereo/ air/ features are great. Friends compliment it a lot, and I never see them on the road, although they do look like a lot of cheaper GM cars. Only complaints are wind noise (not sure if it's side mirrors draft or sealing) and gas mileage (15 mpg avg over 15k miles). I don't commute so not such a big deal. Overall, I am very happy to be in the car.

The Princess Mobile
By James on 11/06/06 13:39 PM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My Princess is my wife. The Saab 97X is her chariot. We were looking for a road worthy and safe vehicle with some class. Also, made in America was a key issue. With a GM drive train and frame we knew it was a solid investment. The standard features would have cost $7-9,000 more on comparable vehicles. Its a dream to drive... when she lets me.

Aircraft engineers.. give me a break
By yntny on 07/08/06 09:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Saab after waiting for a year. I thought it would be a great car. Was I wrong!. This car has been a bomb from the beginning. First my father was the project engineer on the F-14 from its inception So much for born from aircraft engineers.. he hates it. You should hear his comments. I bought it for its supposed sportiness, but I can get my 77 merc 280 sl convert to 80 without a glance and feel safe. This thing can barely hit 65 without me feeling like I'm pushing a tank... and all at an avg. 11.5 a gallon. Oh and 14.3 mpg on a long haul hwy drive.

aircraft engineers rolling in graves
By JES on 04/17/06 16:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My father is one of the designers of the F-14 and is astounded when I tell him how badly this car performs.The jerk-feel when shifting gears.The ridiculous interior design with no space to put anything, the rear cargo space that does not lie flat with rear seats down. The terrible suspension, the inability to seal sound of air from inside car,the front bumper which popped off due to cheap plastic pins (bumpers cost min $1,250). The pulling out of alingment and told it's normal. Blindspots, backing up you can't see a thing! Needs sensors. My Saab had water leak inside of it from rain. The dealer found out why in a release from one of many Saab does not give to owners. I waited for this car. What a waste!

Don't buy one
By globaby on 04/13/06 11:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Had numerous problems. New heater core, rattling in dash and severe wind noise they can't/won't fix. People keep telling me it looks like a trailblazer. I won't be buying another GM product.

People still turn their heads...
By RP on 03/13/06 09:01 AM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Arc AWD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am enjoying my 9-7x even though the prices at the pump make me question my decision sometimes. People are constantly looking to see what I am driving and honestly I like that. The styling is unique and the V8 is fun too. I haven't had any problems to date and the SUV has been a pleasure to drive. I only wish that the 2005 model had the fuel economy of the newer V8s with displacement on demand (or whatever GM calls it).

9-7X Poor Handling in Snow/Ice
By Jerry Clemens on 01/21/06 11:19 AM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-7X SUV Linear AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Now having driven this 9-7x in two mild snow falls here in Reno I can say that the awd is not suitable for winter driving. The awd will not engage until over 20 mph and when driving 0-20mph you have No awd active and this suv goes where it wants when cornering or trying to start up and incline from a dead start. The 9-7X bucks and fishtails and ends up in about a 60 degree angle before if any help comes from the front wheels pulling. Stay with a true 4x4 with 4high, 4low on the fly option. I am returning mine under the "lemon law". Having spun out 6 times in a 14 mile loop to work. Not Safe At Any Speed in Winter. Also, No Tire Chains allowed per Saab,Usa/GM.