2011 Saab 9-5 Consumer Review: Great Car from an New Company

2011 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Review

Aero Sedan (2.8L V6 Turbo AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Great Car from an New Company
By gbytes on

2011 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan AWD (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I received my 2011 9-5 Laser Red Aero today. It is visually different from anything on the road and IMHO signals the beginning of a new era for Saab. I have been fortunate to own several high end Audi, BMW, and Mercedes automobiles. When shopping for a car this time I wanted something different from those (excellent) German vehicles. The 2011 9-5 is beautifully made and a very tasteful exercise in restraint. Having recently traded in my A8L it is nice to have a break from chrome and wood. The 9-5 feels very secure on the road and the 2.8L provides more than adequate performance. The pot holed B roads in New England do not break the cars composure even with the optional 19" wheels.

Favorite Features

Favorite Features: 1. Ride quality 2. Lexus like levels of quiet and refinement 3. Touch Screen Nav and XM Radio 4. All wheel drive with adjustable rear/front bias Most of all I won't pass myself coming and going for some time to come.I also feel good supporting an (newly) independent car company run by real people who care about making great cars.

Suggested Improvements

Saab has been criticized for pricing this car higher than comparable German cars. I think anyone who has shopped for a new BMW will realize that options add up fast. Saab is also in the bad habit of offering very large incentives. While this might seem great for buyers the high list price might keep some folks away.
By amigabuzz
on 01/29/11 23:45 PM (PST)

I agree if you want to not stand-out in Sunny South Florida Palm Beach drive an AMG or BMW 5 or 7 Series or waite the new Hyundai Genesis where people spend an extra $800 to remove the (H) and replace it with winged (genesis) for about $40,000. I bought the Twin4 and my only gripe would be fit and finsh of the coin bin near the steering wheel...already had mine upto 100mph a few times...feels like 45mph ....