Used 2011 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

4 years of worry free driving
By Dave

2011 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan AWD (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought my 2011 9-5 Aero over 4 years ago and have enjoyed it very much. This is not my daily driver, that is a 2010 Saab 9-3 sport-combi manual (yes manual) wagon. Both of these have been flawless. I bought the 9-5 Aero new for $33,000 with an extended warranty that was never used. The only expense was a $65 sensor, which was readily available from GM.

I use this car primarily for road trips and do enjoy driving it. I like the aggressive stance, and enjoy the comfort of the car.

I figure if I sold it now for even 15k it would still have cost me less than many other cars in terms of depreciation.

Not for everyone, but I like that I don't have to turn a knob or click an icon to change a radio station. My wife's Audi is a pain to operate. The Saab is simple to operate, maybe primitive in today's world, but perfectly fine for me.

Saab Story
By vmfan76

2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4 Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Having been a former Saab 9-5 Linear Wagon owner, I though this last ditch effort based on an Opel/Buick La Crosse platform would be relatively safe, particularly at a hefty discount due to the company's dissolved relationship with GM. Absolutely the most buyer's remorse I have experienced in 20 years and 15 vehicles including an Audi, and a Jeep. The seats are strangely difficult to configure to a contour that matches a human's spine, making even a short commute uncomfortable. Each day I'm reminded how even a respected extended warranty program faces challenges when working with a dealership who services Saab. The parts are ridiculously expensive and parts fail routinely. When all is working, a rare and short-lived period of time, the vehicle still gets 24mpg mixed and has terrible road manners in terms of wind noise, the inability to absorb bumps in the road, and performance. The six speed auto is indecisive where a second can lapse, mid-intersection, before it gets the hint you are in a hurry when your foot is buried in the floor board on the accelerator. I'm reminded of Jeremy Clarkson..."I'm a gearbox, I should be doing something...building a cake? Noooo, I know, SHIFT!" Disappointing to say the least.
After 50K miles, I look forward to offloading this vehicle as it has removed all of the joy of driving and ownership. I replaced my Audi with a Subaru and while I knowingly traded fun for function, at least I'm rewarded with relatively low maintenance and repair costs. With the Saab, it is just a chain of repairs with no end in sight and no benefit when the machine is fully functional. The NAV is joke and the infotainment lacks details you would expect from the cheapest of offerings.

Stay as far away from it as possible. It hasn't been a Saab for some time but at least my Linear had more influence than picking through GM's used parts' bin.

3 year birthday
By Dave

2011 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan AWD (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

3 years and 30000 flawless miles in my 9-5 Aero. No issues at all. Big fast and solid. Hate they went out of business, happy I bought this one. Of course for 40% off list price.

Big Sporty European Cruiser
By sambub

2011 Saab 9-5 Turbo4 Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My black 9-5 with the Turbo4 premium 18" wheels is just beautiful.
Much better looking than the A6 or the new 5 series.
And, unlike the A6, 9-5 can be had with a 6 speed manual.
It's a big, rock-solid car with lots of sport: firm suspension, good steering.
It drives much smaller than it is.
On the highway the car is buttoned down and whisper quiet.
Saab offers a factory authorized power upgrade that brings torque to 300 ft/lbs.

Also, car has tons of tech in cabin and engine has the fancy upgrades: direct injection and twin scroll turbo, so 33 mpg HWY so far.

Needless to say I am extremely happy!

Look: exterior and wheels, size with big back seat, 6spd manual and 300 ft/lbs of torque, very solid and very quiet, and good gas mileage.

a few software bugs in infotainment system that I haven't bothered to get fixed yet.

A Great Car for a Decent Price
By curt51

2011 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan AWD (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

First, I must admit that I'm a Saabophile who is now on his eighth Saab.
I've owned a Saab since 1988.
By far this is the best Saab since my 1984 900 Turbo.
The car is very quiet and comfortable.
Plus, the amenities abound and make this a good bargain for the price.
I love the exterior looks of the vehicle and I've gotten a number of compliments from complete strangers.

I love the handling of the Aero model and the XWD system in snow and in bad weather. The car also has a "night panel" feature that turns off all dash lighting except for the speedometer which reduces eye strain at night. I also enoy the USB connection for my IPOD which means I don't have to limit myself to a few CDs in the car. I also like the "Drive Sense" system which allows the driver to switch driving modes of the car to either sport, comfort or intelligent. In the sport mode, the system firms up the dampers and increases the shift points of the transmission to get more performance out of the vehicle.

My car came without the passive entry system which is supposed to be standard equipment on all 9-5s. This system allows the driver to simply walk up to the car with the key somewhere in his pockets and open the car doors without using the keyless remote. It also allows the driver to lock the car by touching the door handle sensor. I'm disappointed the car is missing something that is supposed to be standard equipment.