Used 2008 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Money Pit
By Lindsey

2008 Saab 9-5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased the car used at 85,000 miles (only 1 previous owner listed on the car facts, and all maintenance up to date.) We thought the car would be a good value for the price ($8999 before taxes.) The dealer told us up front that SAAB went under and that any new parts would have to be purchased out of the country, and he also told us of a couple of SAAB dealerships that were still operating in our area. Great!
We test drove it, and fell in love with the luxury of the seats, the sun roof, the Boise surround sound system (super awesome sound system,) and the Turbo pick up and go. We loved it!
After our purchase, things started falling apart. The headlights started going out, the circuit to the headlights started separating from the circuit board and had to be re-soldered on. By 98,000 miles, the car started idling rough. No sooner did that occur, then the car completely died while my husband was driving on the freeway!! He was able to eventually get the car to start again and drive off of the freeway, only to have it die again on the street. We called AAA, and by the time the tow truck arrived, the battery completely died out.
We got it to a mechanic, who recommended a new transmission. Our dealer was able to locate a refurbished transmission with a 6 month warranty, and $1600 later, the car's check engine light pops back on.
Oh, and the loaner car that our awesome dealer let us borrow during the transmission fix was a 2007 Saab 9-5 which also had check lights flashing on it's display. "Check Headlights," "Check oil," "Check Tire Pressure."
Needless to say, we aren't very impressed with the durability of the SAAB engine, transmission or electronics.

Was nice until Saab went bankrupt
By labluebabe

2008 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

40k MSRP new, its lost $27k trade in value in 4 years. Thanks for going bankrupt SAAB, now our car is near worthless and we're upside down on the loan! There are no replacement parts, there are no authorized service dealerships in the USA anymore, and there's nobody who is willing to buy this car off us at a reasonable price (because it's unreasonable to want a car that you won't be able to fix when something breaks).

It drove fine, has quite a few features but it's become an antique in just 4 years. All the new cars out now have nice touchscreens and bluetooth and backup cameras.

We constantly got comments that we had a reverse light out, because SAAB decided to only put a reverse light on the left.. Stupid. The door handles started PEELING, like black plastic coating just started peeling off and looking like CRAP. NO DEALERSHIP for repairs = it didnt get repaired! Hail damage on our car and no place to get a new hood and trunk meant they could only try to do paintless dent repair, which is GARBAGE compared to getting a brand new part which any other car would get with a ton of hail dents. Sell it now before you lose more value!

An outstanding Swede
By Dan Sim

2008 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had 17 Saabs of all variants since 1966. The Aero is the fastest safest and the most attractive of all. It has all the useful gadgets with out too much trendy clutter. audio is outstanding. The 235x17 tires, P6, are a bit noisy is a compromise for great performance. I am happy to get the final version of the 9000-95 evolution.I have had 2 of each. The orig. 86 9000T, a 91 9000T, a 01 95t Arc and now the 98 Aero. The 2.3 turbo remains a great motor, better than most 50% above its size. The Aero joins my 07 93, 74 Sonnett,73 96 v-4 and 68 96 v-4 in the driveway.

Power, seats, audio, handling, great attention driver access to controls,vented seats are cool.Black paint looks great in this style w/ the chrome.The appearance is stunning enough That 2 BMWs and the newest Jag owners asked if it was the NEW Saab in one afternoon.

The interior metallic look door trim strip is easily marred. A poor choice ate a trendy look. Some one could make $s with an aftermkt. overlay.Everything is familiar purposeful and well made. A truly outstanding car

Hopefully the SECRET will live on...
By MD

2008 Saab 9-5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I purchased my Saab after needing a sedan to mate with my Suburban that achieves a more corporate style, without going over the top. I have had my eye on the 9-5 for years. This is the best SECRET car buy out there. Like other reviewers, I was able to get mine at a great price and although it lacks some refinement, this is a great car. Highway driving I get 30mpg and in the curves it is a fun car to drive. My wife drives a Volvo XC70, which we love for its utility and space with two children and a dog, but the Saab has it beat! The Suburban is a living room on wheels with 4WD; great for trips and the outdoors. The Saab is just plain FUN and I get compliments all the time.

The best seats around, turbo from 50-80, the lack of turbo lag, mpg, the stereo and XM and finally the idea that I paid what I did and drive what I have...

Cup holder and additional 12V outlets. I can live and be happy with everything else. I did find a set of Saab OEM rims and had snow tires put on them in anticipation of the winter of 2009. We'll see how much this improves an already good snow runner.

Excellent car, great time to buy!
By Ed T

2008 Saab 9-5 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I am extremely pleased with my new 2008 Saab 9-5. With all of the rebates that GM is currently offering on new 2008's and a little negotiation, I was able to snag mine for under $24k, which is a STEAL for a car like this. After driving this car for a month, I couldn't be happier. The 260hp turbo engine makes highway driving a blast, and the car handles very nicely in town. I can understand the harsh reviews given a $40k msrp and the quality of interior materials for a car in this price range, but for $24k I think you'd be hard-pressed to find fault.

The seats (front and rear) are marvelous. The 9-speaker stereo system is great (too bad no ipod integration though)... and 260 hp engine!!

The car should have 2 of those cool cup holders in the front. Also, I have no clue why GM didn't install the ipod-integrating stereo systems on Saabs, given that even the entry-level Chevrolet molds have these.