Used 2005 Saab 9-5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Swedish King, understated design
By aerodude

2005 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love my Saab! This is my 4th Saab, second 9-5. I ordered the car with a manual trans, a/c seats and sat nav. I do a lot of highway driving and this Saab just eats all the miles up. On long road trips i avg 32-35 mpg and every day driving i avg 28-30. The car is so much fun to drive and I love the turbo! It's comfy to drive in all weather conditions and roads. I do run snow tires in the winter and the car becomes unstoppable. I visit my dealer every 5k for sched maint and the car has never failed me. From weather of -20 to +115 dF, the car always handles it and with composure. The car is very understated in design which I like, doesn't call attention to its self in traffic.

Turbo! vented seats for those long road trips in the summer, rear spoiler, park sensors, xenons, rear fog light for bad weather driving

rubbery feeling trans, sat nav is weak.

Understated wealth
By aerodude

2005 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Such a great car! This is my 4th Saab but my first 9-5. I do a lot of highway driving (cape cod every weekend) Weekends i avg 300 miles and weekdays I drive about 500-700 and the car gobbles them all up with composure and confidence Some people will say Saabs are nothing but problems, but I find that if you actually maintain the car like you're suppose to, then not much will happen. This car has been wonderful to own. Its fast and agile, yet i avg 29-31 mpg on a regular basis. Great car for New England winters with snow tires of course. I plan on keeping this for a long time as it's holding up better than I expected. We also have a convertible and its just as good.

vented seats, sat-nav, key in the console, TURBO!

hate the manual gear box-very sluggish. range for the remote unlock/lock is a joke. no updates for factory gps (2700 option there should be)

New to Saab
By GeeWhiz

2005 Saab 9-5 Sedan Arc 2.3T 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I first drove a Saab 9-3 Aero , but it was sold, so I drove this 9-5 Arc. The 9-5 Arc is more of a touring car and is larger and less sporty than the 9-3 Aero. The ride is much smoother than the 9-3 Aero and the Interior is better designed. I love this car - power on demand with the 2.3 L turbo and great gas mileage as long as you get out of city driving conditions. Only owned a short time, but all the research seems to suggest that routine maintenance is key and Synthetic Oil changes every 4-5K miles is a must.

Comfortable power heated seats Turbo!! Ignition key in center console - no more key chain in the knee. Styling Fun to Drive!

The cool front cup holder good for morning coffee, but is limited in holding anything else.

Performance, Comfort, and Fun to Drive!!
By GeeWhiz

2005 Saab 9-5 Sedan Arc 2.3T 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Sink into these comfortable seats, turn the key in the console - hit the sport mode put into gear and take off - you will feel why they say Saab born form jets. All this and excellent fuel economy, especially on the open road. Since I've only owned a short time - my personal experience with reliability is incomplete, sounds like following the maintenance schedule is key. I fell in love with this car during the test drive.

Performance Great Fuel Economy Comfortable heated seats Fun to Drive

Cup holder is cool, but limited in ability - otherwise this car is an awesome value.

Gas milage much better than advertised
By keith

2005 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my Saab for over 3 years. Bought it used with 16k and have added another 30k. Have spent zero on maint. Except oil changes. Gas mileage is rated 17 city and 26 highway but I get 33 highway and 28 in mixed driving, not sure how to measure city. No complaints so far. Love the rear parking sensors. Have an aero with spoiler so still looks good although over 5 years old. Sport seats are comfortable. You feel the road which I like but my wife hates. Also rides low (same like/hate). Harman Kardan sound is good but not amazing. Trunk roomy. Can't complain. I know resale is low, but will prob. Give to my son at some point and I only paid $22k used so not too worried