2005 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Swedish King, understated design
By aerodude on 08/06/10 14:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love my Saab! This is my 4th Saab, second 9-5. I ordered the car with a manual trans, a/c seats and sat nav. I do a lot of highway driving and this Saab just eats all the miles up. On long road trips i avg 32-35 mpg and every day driving i avg 28-30. The car is so much fun to drive and I love the turbo! It's comfy to drive in all weather conditions and roads. I do run snow tires in the winter and the car becomes unstoppable. I visit my dealer every 5k for sched maint and the car has never failed me. From weather of -20 to +115 dF, the car always handles it and with composure. The car is very understated in design which I like, doesn't call attention to its self in traffic.

Understated wealth
By aerodude on 06/27/10 12:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Such a great car! This is my 4th Saab but my first 9-5. I do a lot of highway driving (cape cod every weekend) Weekends i avg 300 miles and weekdays I drive about 500-700 and the car gobbles them all up with composure and confidence Some people will say Saabs are nothing but problems, but I find that if you actually maintain the car like you're suppose to, then not much will happen. This car has been wonderful to own. Its fast and agile, yet i avg 29-31 mpg on a regular basis. Great car for New England winters with snow tires of course. I plan on keeping this for a long time as it's holding up better than I expected. We also have a convertible and its just as good.

New to Saab
By GeeWhiz on 04/09/10 10:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I first drove a Saab 9-3 Aero , but it was sold, so I drove this 9-5 Arc. The 9-5 Arc is more of a touring car and is larger and less sporty than the 9-3 Aero. The ride is much smoother than the 9-3 Aero and the Interior is better designed. I love this car - power on demand with the 2.3 L turbo and great gas mileage as long as you get out of city driving conditions. Only owned a short time, but all the research seems to suggest that routine maintenance is key and Synthetic Oil changes every 4-5K miles is a must.

Performance, Comfort, and Fun to Drive!!
By GeeWhiz on 03/31/10 08:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Sink into these comfortable seats, turn the key in the console - hit the sport mode put into gear and take off - you will feel why they say Saab born form jets. All this and excellent fuel economy, especially on the open road. Since I've only owned a short time - my personal experience with reliability is incomplete, sounds like following the maintenance schedule is key. I fell in love with this car during the test drive.

Gas milage much better than advertised
By keith on 03/12/10 20:56 PM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my Saab for over 3 years. Bought it used with 16k and have added another 30k. Have spent zero on maint. Except oil changes. Gas mileage is rated 17 city and 26 highway but I get 33 highway and 28 in mixed driving, not sure how to measure city. No complaints so far. Love the rear parking sensors. Have an aero with spoiler so still looks good although over 5 years old. Sport seats are comfortable. You feel the road which I like but my wife hates. Also rides low (same like/hate). Harman Kardan sound is good but not amazing. Trunk roomy. Can't complain. I know resale is low, but will prob. Give to my son at some point and I only paid $22k used so not too worried

Amazing Used Car Value
By Big Mark on 01/30/10 15:26 PM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have put 6000 miles on my 9-5 ARC which I purchased with 66,600 miles on it. So it now has about 72000. This car is an AMAZING VALUE! It is SAFE, Fast and in Sport mode quick enough for most anyone but a real drag racer. Great through snow! Factually if you are considering buying a used car and you do not check out the value at a SAAB dealer you are making a HUGE mistake! It is probably best to get an extended warranty as it is really on any used car. Both myself and my son are 6 foot 300 pound guys and we can both sit comfortably in the front. If you want a car that handles well, has panache, is FUN and SAFE. Find a good used SAAB and YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED. Great Dealer!

Happy so far
By chris on 12/27/09 15:16 PM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought an Arc wagon off-lease; it is really an excellent value and a lot of car for the money. It has all the modern passive and active safety features, and feels very secure on the road. The Swedish seats are the most comfortable in the business. Super ride quality and excellent mileage on the freeway- this is a great commuter car. The suspension definitely favors ride over cornering, but the Saab is plenty responsive with quick steering and good feedback. The 2.3T motor is a torquey beast- it pulls from 40-70 mph in the blink of an eye.

Excellent car so far & very good value
By LASaab on 11/10/08 21:46 PM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2.5 years and 35,000 miles in LA traffic, and no real complaints. A few minor service items, but the car has been very reliable (as was the 2001 that I had before it). Superb highway cruiser. Smooth & quiet, with good acceleration once you get over about 15 MPH. Excellent value for the money. This was engineered to be a BMW 5 series competitor in its day, and the quality level is in that category.

Fine car but not bullet proof
By Robert Green on 09/06/08 14:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife is the primary driver, but we've both logged enough miles to form an opinion. First, the good: handling, acceleration, brakes, ride comfort. Looks good in an understated way from all angles. Love that tight turning circle. Wife loves the turbo boost, cargo space and six-way seat. 26-28 mpg with manual transmission. The midnight blue, she found, is not invisible to police radar however. The not so good: ABS and water pumps failed, some headlight relay issues, rear ABS sensor/hub replaced. All under warranty. Road noise a bit high with Pirellis and replacement Bridgestone Potenzas. On balance we're aiming for 200K, but expect it will not be a cheap ride.

I Love my Saab 9-5
By Saab forever on 11/30/07 08:23 AM (PST)

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

This is my first "nice" car and I love the performance, comfort, and gas mileage I get (consistently 27-28 MPG). The Turbo engine is something I can't live without. I'm looking forward to it handling the snow this winter!!!

1 2 3 4 5 next »