2004 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3T Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

I Hope Saab Returns
By mr_monza

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's really a shame----bordering on despicable----that the failed General Motors Corporation, survivors only due to the U.S. government flooding them with millions of our tax dollars----saw fit to essentially drive Saab out of business. It's a long story, but suffice to say, holding preferred shares of Saab stock, GM blocked the sale of Saab to a Chinese company, forcing them into bankruptcy. As I write this, Saab is hanging by a thread hoping to find a buyer GM will "allow" or finding a different way to stay in business, without the devils at GM lording it over them. Regarding my car----it's a 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon, with automatic transmission. I bought it new. Reliable, great car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. 220 HP power from turbo 4 engine----that has been very reliable. Smooth shifting transmission that has been very reliable. Timeless Scandanavian style that still looks good. Comfort, especially on long trips. Handling---feels light and responsive, almost as good as my BMW 3 series. Front Wheel Drive traction.

Suggested Improvements

Factory Pirelli tires were awful. They were noisy and didn't last. I replaced them with Michelins----best money I've ever spent on a car improvement. It's 7 years old and rides better than new on the Michelins. A little more cargo space would be nice. I understand they are expensive to fix----though mine hasn't had problems yet.

Bought It New...Hoping Saab Stays In Business!
By mr_monza

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car in August of 2004 while my wife was pregnant. We needed the utility of a station wagon but wanted something that was fun to drive and had a decent level of luxury appointments. The Saab has not disappointed! This is a medium sized wagon that's comfortable and has plenty of space for a trip to the beach. It gets over 30 MPG on the highway and has a very spirited performance from its 220 HP turbo. It's not our only car, so it has low mileage (around 32 K). It has not had any significant problems at all----a very safe and reliable car. The quality of the materials is excellent. The paint finish remains like new. No complaints at this point---still love driving it.

Favorite Features

Cockpit design (feels like a small airplane) Comfortable seats and leather steering wheel Turbo performance with 4 cylinder economy Nice power glass moonroof Great on long trips Remarkable handling for a mid sized wagon Reliable so far Doesn't look like your boring Honda or Toyota Very smooth automatic transmission----one of the best I've experienced.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it ran on regular gas instead of premium Cup holders: Not enough, and flimsy Some of the plastic switches feel cheap Saab's future might be shakey---will crush resale value if they go out of business.

I bought mine new
By TD02131

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am not one to keep a car, I usually trade before the warranty runs out. This is the first car I've kept beyond the warranty. I traded a new Toyota Highlander in on it, the Highlander was just boring to drive. The Saab has never disappointed. I have been considering trading it, but I can't find anything better for the money. I may run this one for 300,000 miles. They're right about the tires - go with the michelins. Cup holders are not my priority when deciding on a vehicle. In fact, I hate all the cars with open cup holders that get gunk in them. It's roomy, safe, reliable and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Engine, ride, room

Another great SAAB story
By Chet

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my 2nd great SAAB. First was a superb driving, reliable, safe 2003 9-3 sedan (e.g..36 mpg at 80 mph on New Mex I40 at 105 degrees Fahrenheit. This SAAB 9-5 wagon has been problem free for almost all of its 100,000 miles. It has been all over the USA, full of "stuff", and still averages 34 mpg on the highway and 23 in town. Of course, I maintain its recommended maintenance schedule, don't you? Here's hoping the new owners of SAAB don't screw it up.

Favorite Features

large car room, small car economy. reliability, safety, looks (especially for a wagon). paint durability and quality. Quality leather interior still smells great. Rides great with Michelin mxv4 tires.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more cup holders.

Great driving car
By jsima

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought it used with 28000 miles. This is a really great driving and performing car. Have had many problems, but all were fixed by dealer under good factory warranty. Gas mileage is very good and performance is outstanding. I get 28 - 30 mpg highway driving on a regular basis. 5 speed

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and plenty of turbo power when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Better and bigger cup holders.

Great Used Value
By hal9000

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I think '04-05 Saab 9-5s are one of the best kept secrets on the used market.The resale value of GM era Saabs stinks. Bad if you want to buy a used one and sell it in two years. Great if you want a terrific content filled bargain you can drive for years. All the early bugs have been worked out. You get a vehicle that ranks tops in safety. Speed if you want it. Fuel efficiency if you want it. Plenty of passenger and cargo room. Very smooth ride(even with my Aero suspension). I also prefer the body style of the '04-05 vs. the '06. Don't be scared of the Saab stories you here from people. Most are probably from 9-3 owners and those are a very different vehicle than the 9-5.

Favorite Features

Exterior. Interior. Speed (50-80mph passing in sport mode is devastating!). Surprising fuel efficiency. I drive 75-80mph on the highway and still avg. 29-31mpg which isn't bad for a vehicle with 250hp. Lots of cargo room. They're also great in the snow if you need it.

Purchasing Overseas & Shipping Delivery
By Dennis S. Williams

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Having purchased this car in Germany just before returning to the US for a new job, I was worried about having it delivered to an unfamiliar dealership. My worries were unfounded as I have continued to have the car (as well as my older '98) serviced and maintained at the dealership and have been very satisfied.

Favorite Features

Little things like hand holds for getting in and out as well as storage pockets on the seats and a clip for car parking tickets.

Suggested Improvements

Include the option for a factory GPS.

Pleased with Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
By wendieb04

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car has been very comfortable and fun to drive. This is the most horse power I have had, felt I had power to maneuver when needed in traffic. Gas economy is good for size of car it is. When I have had passengers with me they have always commented what a nice ride they are having. I agree that back seat is just about as comfortable as the front and plenty of leg room. I think you get a great value for the money. Have had 2 minor recall issues I have had to get fixed. One complaint is that covered maintenance is only at 5k, 15k, 30k and 45k. Oil changes between every 5k are not covered.

Favorite Features

Radio/CD controls on steering wheel, large back cargo area that one can hide contents with cover, reclining front seats, heated seats, seat comfort, onstar, park assist.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see AWD vehicle similar to Volvo XC70 or XC90, but not SUV.

2004 9-5 aero wagon
By Dan T

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was put-off by an older 9000 I owned before but was impressed the moment I got behind the wheel. Purchased this instead of a BMW wagon because of better interior space, much better mileage and impressive power.

Favorite Features

The aero engine is a rocket.

Suggested Improvements

None.

what a wagon
By tahcan

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What a great car for those of us needing to haul stuff and who won't drive a SUV anymore. I came out of a G500 that fell apart every day and this car has been great. Fun to drive (mines the manual) great space to haul dogs, lumber, tools, bikes, etc. really good gas mileage 22 in town 29 on the highway. i drive A LOT of miles and this car has been an excellent mix of everything i need. WHO KNEW?

Favorite Features

The cupholder is amazing, seats heated and cooled, space with the fold flat seats down, availablity of a manual, HK stereo, nothing broken

Suggested Improvements

integrated phone system, better floor mats