Used 2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

was a volvo guy

Gotta replace the hatchback
By allen carlson

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Of course, Saabs are no longer made. The power plant durability and the quick initial depreciation made these cars a great buy used. The reliability has gotten better from the first Saabs I owned (1979, 1985, 1986 and 1994), but all those were hatchbacks, and the '85, '86 were turbos. Saab got bland with the styling and that may have led to their downfall. (If they no longer were quirky, why bother?)

I Hope Saab Returns
By mr_monza

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's really a shame----bordering on despicable----that the failed General Motors Corporation, survivors only due to the U.S. government flooding them with millions of our tax dollars----saw fit to essentially drive Saab out of business.
It's a long story, but suffice to say, holding preferred shares of Saab stock, GM blocked the sale of Saab to a Chinese company, forcing them into bankruptcy.
As I write this, Saab is hanging by a thread hoping to find a buyer GM will "allow" or finding a different way to stay in business, without the devils at GM lording it over them.
Regarding my car----it's a 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon, with automatic transmission.
I bought it new.
Reliable, great car.

Fuel economy. 220 HP power from turbo 4 engine----that has been very reliable. Smooth shifting transmission that has been very reliable. Timeless Scandanavian style that still looks good. Comfort, especially on long trips. Handling---feels light and responsive, almost as good as my BMW 3 series. Front Wheel Drive traction.

Factory Pirelli tires were awful. They were noisy and didn't last. I replaced them with Michelins----best money I've ever spent on a car improvement. It's 7 years old and rides better than new on the Michelins. A little more cargo space would be nice. I understand they are expensive to fix----though mine hasn't had problems yet.

Bought It New...Hoping Saab Stays In Business!
By mr_monza

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car in August of 2004 while my wife was pregnant.
We needed the utility of a station wagon but wanted something that was fun to drive and had a decent level of luxury appointments.
The Saab has not disappointed!
This is a medium sized wagon that's comfortable and has plenty of space for a trip to the beach.
It gets over 30 MPG on the highway and has a very spirited performance from its 220 HP turbo.
It's not our only car, so it has low mileage (around 32 K).
It has not had any significant problems at all----a very safe and reliable car.
The quality of the materials is excellent.
The paint finish remains like new. No complaints at this point---still love driving it.

Cockpit design (feels like a small airplane) Comfortable seats and leather steering wheel Turbo performance with 4 cylinder economy Nice power glass moonroof Great on long trips Remarkable handling for a mid sized wagon Reliable so far Doesn't look like your boring Honda or Toyota Very smooth automatic transmission----one of the best I've experienced.

I wish it ran on regular gas instead of premium Cup holders: Not enough, and flimsy Some of the plastic switches feel cheap Saab's future might be shakey---will crush resale value if they go out of business.

I bought mine new
By TD02131

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am not one to keep a car, I usually trade before the warranty runs out. This is the first car I've kept beyond the warranty. I traded a new Toyota Highlander in on it, the Highlander was just boring to drive. The Saab has never disappointed. I have been considering trading it, but I can't find anything better for the money. I may run this one for 300,000 miles. They're right about the tires - go with the michelins. Cup holders are not my priority when deciding on a vehicle. In fact, I hate all the cars with open cup holders that get gunk in them. It's roomy, safe, reliable and fun to drive.

Engine, ride, room