Used 2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

I Hope Saab Returns
By mr_monza

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's really a shame----bordering on despicable----that the failed General Motors Corporation, survivors only due to the U.S. government flooding them with millions of our tax dollars----saw fit to essentially drive Saab out of business. It's a long story, but suffice to say, holding preferred shares of Saab stock, GM blocked the sale of Saab to a Chinese company, forcing them into bankruptcy. As I write this, Saab is hanging by a thread hoping to find a buyer GM will "allow" or finding a different way to stay in business, without the devils at GM lording it over them. Regarding my car----it's a 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon, with automatic transmission. I bought it new. Reliable, great car.

Fuel economy. 220 HP power from turbo 4 engine----that has been very reliable. Smooth shifting transmission that has been very reliable. Timeless Scandanavian style that still looks good. Comfort, especially on long trips. Handling---feels light and responsive, almost as good as my BMW 3 series. Front Wheel Drive traction.

Factory Pirelli tires were awful. They were noisy and didn't last. I replaced them with Michelins----best money I've ever spent on a car improvement. It's 7 years old and rides better than new on the Michelins. A little more cargo space would be nice. I understand they are expensive to fix----though mine hasn't had problems yet.

Bought It New...Hoping Saab Stays In Business!
By mr_monza

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car in August of 2004 while my wife was pregnant. We needed the utility of a station wagon but wanted something that was fun to drive and had a decent level of luxury appointments. The Saab has not disappointed! This is a medium sized wagon that's comfortable and has plenty of space for a trip to the beach. It gets over 30 MPG on the highway and has a very spirited performance from its 220 HP turbo. It's not our only car, so it has low mileage (around 32 K). It has not had any significant problems at all----a very safe and reliable car. The quality of the materials is excellent. The paint finish remains like new. No complaints at this point---still love driving it.

Cockpit design (feels like a small airplane) Comfortable seats and leather steering wheel Turbo performance with 4 cylinder economy Nice power glass moonroof Great on long trips Remarkable handling for a mid sized wagon Reliable so far Doesn't look like your boring Honda or Toyota Very smooth automatic transmission----one of the best I've experienced.

I wish it ran on regular gas instead of premium Cup holders: Not enough, and flimsy Some of the plastic switches feel cheap Saab's future might be shakey---will crush resale value if they go out of business.

I bought mine new
By TD02131

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am not one to keep a car, I usually trade before the warranty runs out. This is the first car I've kept beyond the warranty. I traded a new Toyota Highlander in on it, the Highlander was just boring to drive. The Saab has never disappointed. I have been considering trading it, but I can't find anything better for the money. I may run this one for 300,000 miles. They're right about the tires - go with the michelins. Cup holders are not my priority when deciding on a vehicle. In fact, I hate all the cars with open cup holders that get gunk in them. It's roomy, safe, reliable and fun to drive.

Engine, ride, room

Another great SAAB story
By Chet

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my 2nd great SAAB. First was a superb driving, reliable, safe 2003 9-3 sedan (e.g..36 mpg at 80 mph on New Mex I40 at 105 degrees Fahrenheit. This SAAB 9-5 wagon has been problem free for almost all of its 100,000 miles. It has been all over the USA, full of "stuff", and still averages 34 mpg on the highway and 23 in town. Of course, I maintain its recommended maintenance schedule, don't you? Here's hoping the new owners of SAAB don't screw it up.

large car room, small car economy. reliability, safety, looks (especially for a wagon). paint durability and quality. Quality leather interior still smells great. Rides great with Michelin mxv4 tires.

Needs more cup holders.

Great driving car
By jsima

2004 Saab 9-5 Wagon Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought it used with 28000 miles. This is a really great driving and performing car. Have had many problems, but all were fixed by dealer under good factory warranty. Gas mileage is very good and performance is outstanding. I get 28 - 30 mpg highway driving on a regular basis. 5 speed

Great gas mileage and plenty of turbo power when needed.

Better and bigger cup holders.