2004 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
I Hope Saab Returns
By mr_monza on 12/24/11 11:59 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's really a shame----bordering on despicable----that the failed General Motors Corporation, survivors only due to the U.S. government flooding them with millions of our tax dollars----saw fit to essentially drive Saab out of business. It's a long story, but suffice to say, holding preferred shares of Saab stock, GM blocked the sale of Saab to a Chinese company, forcing them into bankruptcy. As I write this, Saab is hanging by a thread hoping to find a buyer GM will "allow" or finding a different way to stay in business, without the devils at GM lording it over them. Regarding my car----it's a 2004 Saab 9-5 Arc Wagon, with automatic transmission. I bought it new. Reliable, great car.

Stay Away Unless You Won the Lottery!
By danducati on 08/20/11 21:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

OMG, what a piece of junk. Bought with 40K miles on it and had the check engine light go on after about 3 months. Cost $2,100 to fix it. Nice. Then the grill flew off as I was driving down the highway. Then it began leaking antifreeze like a sieve. Another $400 fix. I have had enough and will never ever buy a Saab again! Traded that sucka in today for a Lexus and am now super happy.

Bought It New...Hoping Saab Stays In Business!
By mr_monza on 07/29/11 10:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this car in August of 2004 while my wife was pregnant. We needed the utility of a station wagon but wanted something that was fun to drive and had a decent level of luxury appointments. The Saab has not disappointed! This is a medium sized wagon that's comfortable and has plenty of space for a trip to the beach. It gets over 30 MPG on the highway and has a very spirited performance from its 220 HP turbo. It's not our only car, so it has low mileage (around 32 K). It has not had any significant problems at all----a very safe and reliable car. The quality of the materials is excellent. The paint finish remains like new. No complaints at this point---still love driving it.

I bought mine new
By TD02131 on 08/04/10 15:24 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am not one to keep a car, I usually trade before the warranty runs out. This is the first car I've kept beyond the warranty. I traded a new Toyota Highlander in on it, the Highlander was just boring to drive. The Saab has never disappointed. I have been considering trading it, but I can't find anything better for the money. I may run this one for 300,000 miles. They're right about the tires - go with the michelins. Cup holders are not my priority when deciding on a vehicle. In fact, I hate all the cars with open cup holders that get gunk in them. It's roomy, safe, reliable and fun to drive.

Another great SAAB story
By Chet on 07/27/10 14:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my 2nd great SAAB. First was a superb driving, reliable, safe 2003 9-3 sedan (e.g..36 mpg at 80 mph on New Mex I40 at 105 degrees Fahrenheit. This SAAB 9-5 wagon has been problem free for almost all of its 100,000 miles. It has been all over the USA, full of "stuff", and still averages 34 mpg on the highway and 23 in town. Of course, I maintain its recommended maintenance schedule, don't you? Here's hoping the new owners of SAAB don't screw it up.

Great car to by used
By CaliforniaSaab on 07/08/10 22:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

No better value, as depreciation runs high. Got mine with 23,000 miles for $15k at Carmax. What a deal. Spotless reliability so far, now at 45,000 miles. Very comfortable. Great on freeway. Handling could be a little tighter but that's what you get with FWD.

Great driving car
By jsima on 01/20/09 11:14 AM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought it used with 28000 miles. This is a really great driving and performing car. Have had many problems, but all were fixed by dealer under good factory warranty. Gas mileage is very good and performance is outstanding. I get 28 - 30 mpg highway driving on a regular basis. 5 speed

Great Used Value
By hal9000 on 12/06/08 17:59 PM (PST)

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I think '04-05 Saab 9-5s are one of the best kept secrets on the used market.The resale value of GM era Saabs stinks. Bad if you want to buy a used one and sell it in two years. Great if you want a terrific content filled bargain you can drive for years. All the early bugs have been worked out. You get a vehicle that ranks tops in safety. Speed if you want it. Fuel efficiency if you want it. Plenty of passenger and cargo room. Very smooth ride(even with my Aero suspension). I also prefer the body style of the '04-05 vs. the '06. Don't be scared of the Saab stories you here from people. Most are probably from 9-3 owners and those are a very different vehicle than the 9-5.

Remarkable Balance
By Slee_Stack on 07/16/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Although I've only owned my Aero for just over two months, I've had some good experience with what this car excels at and what may be trouble spots. With all its gadgetry, I've already had my share of glitches, most notably poor performing rain-sensing wipers, a result of a poor sensor. Various electrical gremlins also pop up on occasion, but are mild irritants at worst. The 9-5 in Aero guise is a great looking and oddly rare car in the sea of Bimmers, Lexii, and Benz that swarm the roads of Atlanta. While in no way a neck-snapper, the Aero has plenty enough zip to best most 'sporty' sedans on the road. Where it truly dazzles is doing this and still returning 30mpg on the highway

Purchasing Overseas & Shipping Delivery
By Dennis S. Williams on 06/23/08 01:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Saab 9-5 Arc 2.3T 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Having purchased this car in Germany just before returning to the US for a new job, I was worried about having it delivered to an unfamiliar dealership. My worries were unfounded as I have continued to have the car (as well as my older '98) serviced and maintained at the dealership and have been very satisfied.