Used 2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Great ride!
By saabinvt

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Linear with 81,000 miles in '09. It's had some problems, but not outside what you'd expect with a car approaching 100K miles. Yes, repairs can be expensive, but I've done much of them myself, and parts can be found on eBay and junk yards for cheap. This car has a very smooth ride, is very quiet, the stereo is very good, the climate system is great and the controls are well laid out. The dash cupholder is useless, but I just put aftermarket ones on the doors. The acceleration is great, and I installed a high pressure turbo from an Aero, so now it really hauls! While not cheap to maintain, 9-5s can be found used for far less than competitive cars, and they look better too.

The handling and ride quality are superb. Acceleration with the turbo and the automatic in sport mode is a hoot! This is a great cruiser, and the rear holds a lot of stuff. I've also been able to do lots of customizing, like swapping seats and turbo from an Aero for more power and comfort. Gas mileage around 30mpg highway (20 city) in a car this size is a bonus.

Well, Saab is gone now, so there won't be improvements. The dash cup holder is useless, and rear seat legroom in a car this class should be better.

Huge disappointment
By Andrea29

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car with 44,000 miles on it, thinking SAAB was a quality brand and would last for years. Unfortunately, I had not heard that repairs on a SAAB are extremely expensive. The car was initially fun, lots of bells and whistles. After 2 months, things started going wrong. The computer that controlled the temperature panel went out. The module controlling the high beams failed. The plastic panel under the driver's seat broke. Power locks did not work correctly. Other small items broke or stopped working. The final straw was at 96,000 miles when the throttle assembly went out. After a repair cost of over $1000, I traded in the car. I will not buy another SAAB.

Fun to drive on dry pavement.

Really need to improve the quality for a car at this price point. Needs traction control so it handles better in snow.

Not worth the money
By shellEy

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

For a car that costs as much as this did, I expected much higher quality. The engineers did a poor job of ergonomic design, parts break (and when they do, it's *very* expensive to fix), and there are known bugs which Saab doesn't seem to care about fixing. (Repairs on my car in 100,000 miles: fuel pump, brakes (twice!), rear-hatch-closed sensor, engine-temp gauge...) My pet peeve is if you set the interior temperature, I expect the car to maintain that temp. Instead, it'll either be too hot or too cold.

With a 5-speed manual transmission, I get ~25 mpg in city driving, ~30 mpg highway. Not bad for a car this big.

1. Fix climate control--if I want temp to be 72, then that's the temp it should be, not hotter or colder. 2. The speedometer reads ~44 mph too fast, but dealer said "that's normal." No way! I've never had a car that inaccurate. 3. Make it easier for owner mtce (e.g., replacing headlights).

fun and comfortable, rock steady build
By Joseph

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have driven this car for over 60,000 miles now, and still love it. I am a Saab fan from way back, but this one is the best. I did have some minor throttle part problem that was a back- ordered part, but was covered under warranty. Even then, the vehicle was drivable on "limp" mode, so it has never stranded me. I did not like the original tires, but replaced them with Turanzas at 40,000 miles and am very pleased with the added quiet and drive.

Turbo charging and paddle wheel shifting, though if I had to do it again I would not get this option--it is so rarely used, and not practical if you want to drive a car for 250,000 miles, like I do.

The automatic shifting with ESP is sometimes questionable, downshifting at odd times, but other than that infrequent and minor inconvenience, no complaints.

Entry-level luxury, real sport & utility
By Aerocraft67

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I upgraded from a Chevy Cavalier, so I am very happy with this vehicle. Imperfections are legitimate trade-offs. It feels large for the engine size. From a stop, the transmission and turbo feel confused unless you throttle very gently or heavily. Acceleration improves at high speeds (passing), and overall high-speed performance is excellent. This is a great highway car, but less nimble in dense traffic and tight spots. Otherwise handles well and feels safe, especially with stability control. The seats are very comfortable, and the controls are nice. Storage areas are inefficient. Underappreciated feature: towing capacity. Excellent value. Refined, safe, comfortable, practical, and economical

Towing capacity that beats rivals and matches SUVs, cupholder, "aircraft-inspired" control panel layout, cooled glovebox, loaded base model, less fuddy-duddy than Volvo V70, more refined than Outback, great value, cool logo, "proven" (old) Swedish engine, balanced fuel economy, utility, ride.

Reconfigure interior storage space, smooth out low-speed acceleration, lose weight, auto A/C ignores hot dash, don't sacrifice Swedish charm for uninspired GM fit-and-finish.