2003 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Better than the best!
By thecarguy112 on 01/15/13 16:56 PM (PST)

2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is one of the best cars out there! I have the automatic transmission, and this car flys down the road!! it is very fast and has excellent handling. On the exterior, there is a very sleek and modern design (Black) that looks fantastic! The interior even though its old looks well done and seems to wear very little. let me talk a little about comfort, THIS CAR IS COMFY! The front seats are very high quality and are very supportive and hug you in. (drove non stop from my town to a town near by, which is a 100 mile round trip, 4 times in a row!) the seats have held up very well! Also, the cargo room is very impressive! (moved into a 2 bedroom with this car only.) So obviously I luv this car!

Good for a passionate car lover.
By matt_beckman on 08/26/12 14:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

After driving 3 Saabs, a 2005, 2006 9.3 Turbo, and a 2003 9.5 Aero It is clear that Saabs are cars to be pampered and taken well care of. If you are looking for a reliable car with as little maintenance as possible this is not the car for you. Your better of with a Toyota. You will get what you give with Saab and the car is good for someone who enjoys taking care of cars as a passion and DOES NOT mind putting in an extra dollar to keep their jem running at top quality. For about $4500 the 2003 Areo is about the best sports car you can get for the price and after regular maintenance you can expect quick acceleration, good gas mileage, and an all over all smooth, stylish, and luxurious ride.

Great ride!
By saabinvt on 04/21/12 15:13 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sport Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Linear with 81,000 miles in '09. It's had some problems, but not outside what you'd expect with a car approaching 100K miles. Yes, repairs can be expensive, but I've done much of them myself, and parts can be found on eBay and junk yards for cheap. This car has a very smooth ride, is very quiet, the stereo is very good, the climate system is great and the controls are well laid out. The dash cupholder is useless, but I just put aftermarket ones on the doors. The acceleration is great, and I installed a high pressure turbo from an Aero, so now it really hauls! While not cheap to maintain, 9-5s can be found used for far less than competitive cars, and they look better too.

Excellent Car
By joev6 on 10/03/11 12:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car from Valley Honda, Naperville a year back for 6500 + 2 year extended warranty... Amazing car, drive, performance, value for money from car. Saab cars are luxury which is affordable when you buy is used... An year has passed and car has only taken minor issues (I maintain it regularly)

Engine Failure
By SaabingStu on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car used with about 45K on the clock. Had for 3.5 years and put about 70K miles on it. Always ran synthetic oil, maintained the car very well, and the engine has failed at just 116K miles. Very disappointed, as I really enjoyed this car, and it was my second Aero, and now have a worthless car. I don't think I'll ever buy another one. also, very frustrating is the digital display always goes out on these things.

Electronic Nightmare
By JDN on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car used and for the first few years it was fine. The last year or two have been a nightmare. Electronic issues and 'Check Engine" lights are a monthly occurrence. For instance the dashboard info display was rebuilt, the ignition switch has to be replaced and the trunk harness which controls the trunk lock and the tail lights was replaced. There is no manual key entry for the trunk. Recently the DI cassette in the engine was replaced ($550) to address the most recent 'Check Engine' light.

Love/Hate Relationship w my Saab
By SAAB??? on 09/01/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car thinking it had great gas mileage which was perfect for the kind of job i have. Come to find out two weeks later my new Saab broke down on me on my way to a mini vacation. I've took it back to the selling dealer and they said "there was no problem". Took it from there dealership that same day on my way home it jerked and left me stranded in the middle of the road again! I hate this thing! It probably broke down on my more than 6-7 times before i took it into mechanics who really know foreign cars! Found out it was the fuel pump. I could not believe the dealerships could not find a problem. I guess I'm more upset with them than i am my car. i guess i love/hate this car

Why do I still Like this car?
By Ted on 08/11/10 07:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the Linear model new but at a deep discount ($30k). Have had the typical failures -- fuel pump, heater valve, ignition cartridge, sunroof, and most recently the brake booster. Repairs are crazy expensive, and I've spent way too much on them. But then I get behind the wheel and realize I really like the driving experience. Fuel economy is great, and the turbo is there when you need some punch. It's a great travel car, and the trunk is spacious. One of my criteria was "4 men and 4 sets of golf clubs". It works.

Tow after Tow after Tow after Tow
By hatesaab03 on 07/06/10 18:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had purchased this vehicle not even 2 weeks and it died on me. I had bought it with about 57K miles, and two weeks later on the way to a mini vacation it leaves me stranded in the middle of the freeway. I took it back to the selling dealer and also their Saab dealer and they slapped the machine on it and "Nothing is wrong with it, it drives like a champ." Again it had just died as i was accelerating through town, and then my speed gauge gradually goes down once again! On my way back from work on the freeway it died again! DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL. By the way i failed to mention i had to waste my money towing this vehicle every single time it died on me. STAY AWAY!

Big Surprise, Small Price
By Alfabet on 06/21/10 14:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this used in August of 06 since I had a "price point" in mind as children were in college and cost was important. The terrible depreciation is the used car buyer's gain and I bought three years from new for about 45% of list. The car turned out to be a big surprise after 4 years and about 40K miles I have driven. Few mechanical problems, although they were either covered by the remaining factory warranty or the extended one I bought. I am very impressed with the highway cruising ability but it is not my prior 911 or 540 (nor did I expect it to be). It is generally an all around good car with lots of room and decent driving fun. Go find one with low mileage!