2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Most reliable
By YEO on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Despite friend's disbelief that I can buy a GM, I have found the car to be one of the most reliable that I've owned (VW Jetta, Volvo 850, Subaru Legacy). Poor resale value means much better value for money on a used vehicle.

Black Turbo Powered Beauty
By chiroprincess on 07/08/10 23:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is FAST for a wagon and SAFE. It's a very sturdy, solid car being quite able to zip up a steep hill without a problem. I also love the design. Several times strangers on the street have commented to me how 'good looking' this car is! I'm also impressed how roomy the back is. I can get my large bike right in w/ the back seats down. I also like the low profile of the rear 'floor' easy to get things (including our dog) in & out. I have had some oil leak problems and several hoses that have gone bad in the past few years, but considering it is now 8 yrs old not too bad in repair terms. I just test drove a '04 Volvo wagon and I have to say that I still like my Saab way more!

Tired
By bluejay on 05/22/10 04:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been a good family, well maintained, gently driven car with some surprising expenses-new turbocharger 3 yrs ago, quirky starting, and annoying LED display failure that would cost $500 to replace. It handles well and the lack of pep is offset by reasonably good gas mileage20/30+ on trips. Not sure I will get another due to the change of ownership and increased quality issues with newer models identified by Consumer Reports.

OK, but not really happy
By bar_ml on 12/31/08 14:34 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Aero 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this in mint condition last spring. I have put about 20K on it. Driving on the highway is great, especially here in Europe. But, this car is starting to drive me nuts. 1 cup holder, no armrests, waywayway too many buttons for the heater, etc. Give me some dials so I can concentrate on driving and not have to search for a button and almost wreck. They key should be on the steering column. That's where my cell, wallet etc. go. Give me wipers that I can set where I want, not some electronic sensor. Always too fast or too slow for me. Display constantly missing pixels. reverse help never works. Key batteries die very fast. I have had no engine/tranny problems.

A Unique Blend of Virtues
By Charlie on 08/19/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great all-around family vehicle, with something for everyone. It's got great interior space, attractive exterior appearance, exciting turbo performance, economical gas mileage, and reasonable mechanical reliability.

Smooth, fun and safe
By Autoenthusiast on 08/14/08 13:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 5yr old nephew was impressed and loved the car because it looked like "a plane" from the outside and inside. My 3rd Saab(from: 900, 9-3SE, now '02 9- 5Linear) and have been very happy most especially the 9-5. Great space (hauled a love seat), lots of standard features that are still optional in some cars 6yrs later (side airbags, ESP, 5-spd auto tran, glovebox cooler, Trip-comp, dual sun-visors, Harmon-Kardon etc.) Safe - a fist-sized rock hit windshield 2x/2occasions and only a small chip, rear-ended by an Explorer and no damage (Explorer bumpers bent and caved-in). Great in long-drives, very peppy and quite! The Aero would have been exhilirating. Plan 2 keep it until 1M miles!

A lot of car for the money
By Believer on 03/20/07 10:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought our Linear Wagon Saab CPOed from a local dealer with low mileage and warranty remaining. I have been very impressed by the fuel economy (30- 34 mpg) and reliability. Immensely more reliable to the Audi's and Bimmer's owned in the past.

Mixed emotion
By bobrunn on 02/21/06 23:19 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really enjoy driving and looking at my Saab. This is the 3rd Saab I've had and they all have the same characteristics--fun to drive, very many safety features, great versatility, but many mechanical problems. I have 103,000 miles and I've had to replace the brakes twice, replaced the head gasket, bad thermostat, computerized problems that I don't understand.

Not Quite Perfect...
By Chris on 12/18/05 22:52 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Was a great car at the beginning, until I started having quite a few mechanical problems. Water pump went twice, turbo needed replacing, ignition module left me stranded on the highway, and a few other smaller things went all withing the 1st two and a half years. Maybe I had a lemon, but it was enough to put me off of getting another Saab. When everything is working, the car was a dream on the highway. It gearing felt a bit off when city driving with manual transmission.

Great Car
By Sedona on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Wagon Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

All Round Best car I ever drove. Have had MB BMW . Best for the money.