2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
love my saab(s)
By relixwjm on 09/03/14 08:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

awesome car...had this aero for years. if you maintain them, they go forever. over 200k on this one and going strong. great design (not for everyone), after all its a saab (saab people get it)...fast car with great gas milegae, too

Good value for used luxury car
By jethro64 on 01/01/12 17:02 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 02 Linear used, with low miles and it was pampered. An insane bargain! Really am enjoying the smooth and quiet ride, great turbo power from a 4 cylinder, and gets good gas mileage too...26-28 in mixed driving. If you own one of these, I highly suggest joining an online Saab forum to educate yourself even further....and to save $$. Like any European make, they can be a bit high maintenance. That's why a lot of Saab owners are DIYers or have a well trusted mechanic programmed in their speed dial. It is mandatory to use synthetic oil in turbo models, and I wouldn't buy any used Saab without interrogating the previous owner about their maintenance schedule until they wept aloud.

Piece of junk
By tasnault1 on 12/20/11 06:37 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

worst car I ever owned, and I have owned pontiacs and chevy's - had performance tires that didn't work in the snow, even an inch of snow! dealer would not let me trade the $250 performance tires for some regular ones...several flats, interior issues and goofy problems throughout the 1+ year of owning this car

Done with Saabs
By otto on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Read just a sample listing of some of the mechanical and electronic issues people have had and that has been my experience and then some. The most recent and the last episode with any Saab product was the turbo. Done. This car was constantly in the garage. No mas.

Great Car!
By Saab BT on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the car in pristine condition from a dealership specializing in pre owned saabs and volvos. The car was a steal at the price I paid. Smooth turbo, comfortable seats, great on the highway. Right off the bat I needed some minor work done, but luckily I found a mechanic that works on..you guessed it, saabs and volvos! I feel more secure having found him. The only issue so far is a whining noise at low speed; we (the mechanic and I) think it's an issue with the brakes where something is rubbing or perhaps the turbo is making the noise at low speed. Other than that, the car (knock on wood) has been terrific so far.

All good but for the little glitches
By bcrzmon on 02/21/10 07:32 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife bought this car on ebay. I was initially skeptical and nervous about the higher cost of repair, but this car is very fun to drive and the swedish styling and lux features are hard to beat (especially for the price). The repair bills can be a bit high, but normal for this class. Nothing major has gone wrong though and I can live with a broken sunroof, no backup alarm battery, the cup holder issue, 1 busted seat heater cause ultimately I really like being in this car.

Saab 95 2002 4dr 2.3t
By SAAB Driver on 08/03/09 05:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Beautiful Car! I got this car and it needed a few minor check ups, that cost me around $200, but after all I'm buying a used car, i actually had in mind a little more than that! :) the car has GREAT performance, and I'm loving it, its classy and sexy at the same time!

The car that makes me happy
By Dan Munteanu on 07/06/09 16:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Saab 9-5 Aero is a car that does everything very well that you'd expect from a near luxury vehicle. On top of it, the extra oomph can be effortlessly delivered by just pressing the gas pedal harder. The manual transmission might be a little tricky to master for some at first, but I was able to read it right away and I still enjoy using it. If they're brand new they may be a tad expensive but it makes a great slightly used car at a great price.

Stay away!
By Saad on 01/26/09 07:23 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car when I first bought it. Thought I got a good deal and luckily got the extended warranty. It was fine for the the first few months but since then it has been in the shop every 2-3 months. Turbo went, alternator went, multiple sensors, etc. Driving on the highway last week, the passenger turning signal assembly flew off the car! Worst car I ever bought. Will never buy another Saab.

Thought I got a STEAL but.....
By Phillyc on 11/20/08 18:39 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased in May of 2006 w/36,000 mi. on the clock, paid $19,500. Current mileage 65,800 mi. Wanted to love this car but it has been in the shop more than any other car I have owned, 7 or 8 times in the 2 1/2 years I have owned her. The interior could use an update, but the seats are super comfy. I really like the exterior of the car, looks fast standing still. Gas mileage in town is poor for a 4 cyl., only about 17 mpg due to the turbo but hwy mileage is surprisingly good at about 31 mpg. Just too many little things. Warranty ran out in Sept. and just today I spent $1800 on repairs and the 60,000 mile service. Sad to say she will probably get traded in soon.