2002 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Good value for used luxury car
By jethro64 on 01/01/12 17:02 PM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 02 Linear used, with low miles and it was pampered. An insane bargain! Really am enjoying the smooth and quiet ride, great turbo power from a 4 cylinder, and gets good gas mileage too...26-28 in mixed driving. If you own one of these, I highly suggest joining an online Saab forum to educate yourself even further....and to save $$. Like any European make, they can be a bit high maintenance. That's why a lot of Saab owners are DIYers or have a well trusted mechanic programmed in their speed dial. It is mandatory to use synthetic oil in turbo models, and I wouldn't buy any used Saab without interrogating the previous owner about their maintenance schedule until they wept aloud.

Piece of junk
By tasnault1 on 12/20/11 06:37 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

worst car I ever owned, and I have owned pontiacs and chevy's - had performance tires that didn't work in the snow, even an inch of snow! dealer would not let me trade the $250 performance tires for some regular ones...several flats, interior issues and goofy problems throughout the 1+ year of owning this car

Done with Saabs
By otto on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

Read just a sample listing of some of the mechanical and electronic issues people have had and that has been my experience and then some. The most recent and the last episode with any Saab product was the turbo. Done. This car was constantly in the garage. No mas.

Most reliable
By YEO on 10/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Despite friend's disbelief that I can buy a GM, I have found the car to be one of the most reliable that I've owned (VW Jetta, Volvo 850, Subaru Legacy). Poor resale value means much better value for money on a used vehicle.

Great Car!
By Saab BT on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought the car in pristine condition from a dealership specializing in pre owned saabs and volvos. The car was a steal at the price I paid. Smooth turbo, comfortable seats, great on the highway. Right off the bat I needed some minor work done, but luckily I found a mechanic that works on..you guessed it, saabs and volvos! I feel more secure having found him. The only issue so far is a whining noise at low speed; we (the mechanic and I) think it's an issue with the brakes where something is rubbing or perhaps the turbo is making the noise at low speed. Other than that, the car (knock on wood) has been terrific so far.

Black Turbo Powered Beauty
By chiroprincess on 07/08/10 23:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is FAST for a wagon and SAFE. It's a very sturdy, solid car being quite able to zip up a steep hill without a problem. I also love the design. Several times strangers on the street have commented to me how 'good looking' this car is! I'm also impressed how roomy the back is. I can get my large bike right in w/ the back seats down. I also like the low profile of the rear 'floor' easy to get things (including our dog) in & out. I have had some oil leak problems and several hoses that have gone bad in the past few years, but considering it is now 8 yrs old not too bad in repair terms. I just test drove a '04 Volvo wagon and I have to say that I still like my Saab way more!

Tired
By bluejay on 05/22/10 04:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr SportWagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been a good family, well maintained, gently driven car with some surprising expenses-new turbocharger 3 yrs ago, quirky starting, and annoying LED display failure that would cost $500 to replace. It handles well and the lack of pep is offset by reasonably good gas mileage20/30+ on trips. Not sure I will get another due to the change of ownership and increased quality issues with newer models identified by Consumer Reports.

All good but for the little glitches
By bcrzmon on 02/21/10 07:32 AM (PST)

2002 Saab 9-5 Arc 3.0t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 5A)

My wife bought this car on ebay. I was initially skeptical and nervous about the higher cost of repair, but this car is very fun to drive and the swedish styling and lux features are hard to beat (especially for the price). The repair bills can be a bit high, but normal for this class. Nothing major has gone wrong though and I can live with a broken sunroof, no backup alarm battery, the cup holder issue, 1 busted seat heater cause ultimately I really like being in this car.

Saab 95 2002 4dr 2.3t
By SAAB Driver on 08/03/09 05:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Linear 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Beautiful Car! I got this car and it needed a few minor check ups, that cost me around $200, but after all I'm buying a used car, i actually had in mind a little more than that! :) the car has GREAT performance, and I'm loving it, its classy and sexy at the same time!

The car that makes me happy
By Dan Munteanu on 07/06/09 16:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Saab 9-5 Aero is a car that does everything very well that you'd expect from a near luxury vehicle. On top of it, the extra oomph can be effortlessly delivered by just pressing the gas pedal harder. The manual transmission might be a little tricky to master for some at first, but I was able to read it right away and I still enjoy using it. If they're brand new they may be a tad expensive but it makes a great slightly used car at a great price.