2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Hope You Have A Fat Bank Account
By sundawg18 on 05/31/13 09:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used, from the original owner, with 60,000 miles. In the few years I've owned it - and over 30,000 miles later - I've had at least $5,000 worth of work done to it. Around 65,000 it stalled during rush hour. A few years later it started to stall on the freeway - luckily I had enough time to pull off and into a parking lot before it died. The throttle had to be replaced - to the tune of $900, and I've gone through a couple of batteries that all cost over $200. Now I'm facing an oil leak that my mechanic can't seem to find a cap for since Saab isn't making these cars anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like an awful lot of work for a car still under 100,000 miles.

Nice ride!
By snowboardereh on 05/03/09 09:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Nice Ride! Interior very roomy. Split rear seat makes it easy to put a couple of snowboards and gear in trunk and still be able to have someone sit in the back!

Never Again
By MzKim on 10/15/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased this car used. It was pretty to look at and clean, however one month after driving off the lot I began to had problems & it never stopped: fuel pump, electrical, water pump, timing chain, AC system, sunroof, turbo and the list goes on. 4 yrs later I refuse to spend another penny. I through a piston rod and need a new motor. I am done.

No BMW
By bayviewwilliams on 03/12/08 22:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My 9-5 was swift, not fast. Exceptionally comfortable. Interior packaging was great, trunk space awesome, even good gas mileage. But GM really let Saab go, and the performance, build quality or materials cannot hold a candle to contemporary BMW's.

Saab Reality
By 8AA2YM on 11/14/05 12:10 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This was my second Saab. It was great to drive, and my dealership treated me like a king. Things started going wrong with the V-6 in this car, though. I began to notice a degradation in engine performance at about 42K miles. I had it in the shop at 48K when I decided to trade it in. In any case, My 3 Saabs have required little unscheduled maintenance other than many fog light lens replacements.

Great Car but requires lots of repairs
By jdowen on 08/11/05 09:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

It is a very comfortable vehicle that is fun to drive. It is a quiet drive and handles very well. I really enjoy the car when it works correctly. However, it is a very unreliable car. I was stranded on the side of the road twice - at 60K miles and 65K miles in 2003 (only 2 year old vehicle), both times it was a failed Ignition Cassette causing the Catalytic Converter to melt (very expensive parts). It is a common problem, the NHTSA Office of Defects is investigating the problem. If you are looking to purchase one of these vehicles, please search Google for "Saab DI Cassette failure" for more information about this common problem and consider this when making your decision.

going strong after 2.5 years
By mgjazz on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Since initially test driving the car and drivng it off the lot, the car has performed flawlessly. I don't ask much of the vehicle, but it does everything I need it to. In its first 15,000, I drove lots of stop and go. Now, its smooth sailing every day. In both situations, the car has been happy and so have I, except for the traffic. Maintenance has been limited. The only surprise has been brakes - but I suppose this is due more to the stop and go traffic rather than the components. Out here where it gets hot in the summer (not as hot as Arizona or Nevada, but hot nonetheless) the lenses on the headlights developed cracks and were replaced without questions. A solid performer.

awesome car
By kelb on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought the car new and loved it from day one. Very smooth and quick - especially highway driving. Great handling and low noise at 100 MPH (so I hear). Roomy interior easily matches more expensive cars such as BMW 5 series. Masquerades as a stylish family sedan, but absolute road rocket at heart.

Pretty, comfortable, powerful, stylish
By odoyal on 06/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This car is fun, stylish, and very comfortable. The sport mode of the 95 saab is a real nice kick when you hit the gas and is a considerable step up from the normal mode. The cup holders are a negative but with the long list of standard features, it more than makes up for it. Also OnStar is nice to have if your willing to pay the extra $120-$300 a year. I would get the 3 liter because there is more than enough power and isn't as noisy as my friend's aero version.

Less than expected
By Sboc on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

The only way to drive this car is in the Sport Mode. - without it, it's just a regular car. Body integrity is less than expected for this $$, has squeaks and rattles. Car's electronics are weak, Check Engine light comes on and I've already had to replace Oxygen sensors