Used 2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Hope You Have A Fat Bank Account
By sundawg18

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used, from the original owner, with 60,000 miles. In the few years I've owned it - and over 30,000 miles later - I've had at least $5,000 worth of work done to it. Around 65,000 it stalled during rush hour. A few years later it started to stall on the freeway - luckily I had enough time to pull off and into a parking lot before it died. The throttle had to be replaced - to the tune of $900, and I've gone through a couple of batteries that all cost over $200. Now I'm facing an oil leak that my mechanic can't seem to find a cap for since Saab isn't making these cars anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like an awful lot of work for a car still under 100,000 miles.

Fast drive, quick acceleration! Heated seats are awesome - I rarely have to use my heat in the winter. The moonroof is wonderful, even in the rain - I couldn't imagine owning a car that didn't have one. The radio controls on the steering wheel are a bonus, although I'm aware this is fairly standard practice on newer cars (not as common for vehicles in 2000/2001).

Too many to list...

Nice ride!
By snowboardereh

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Nice Ride! Interior very roomy. Split rear seat makes it easy to put a couple of snowboards and gear in trunk and still be able to have someone sit in the back!

Heated seats, sport mode, winter mode when driving on ice.

The car is awesome! It is a quality built car. When you shut the door you can hear how solid it sounds!

Never Again
By MzKim

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased this car used. It was pretty to look at and clean, however one month after driving off the lot I began to had problems & it never stopped: fuel pump, electrical, water pump, timing chain, AC system, sunroof, turbo and the list goes on. 4 yrs later I refuse to spend another penny. I through a piston rod and need a new motor. I am done.

When it was working, it had a new acceleration.

Cup holder needs to be on the console, lack leg room for my 6 ft husband.

No BMW
By bayviewwilliams

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My 9-5 was swift, not fast. Exceptionally comfortable. Interior packaging was great, trunk space awesome, even good gas mileage. But GM really let Saab go, and the performance, build quality or materials cannot hold a candle to contemporary BMW's.

Handsome styling, thought now looking very dated. Great seats. great trunk space. Felt very safe, flawless in the snow.

Needs much, much better build quality to meet its supposed competition. No match for anything BMW offers. A shame that Saab has fallen so far, I'll never buy another.

Saab Reality
By 8AA2YM

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

This was my second Saab. It was great to drive, and my dealership treated me like a king. Things started going wrong with the V-6 in this car, though. I began to notice a degradation in engine performance at about 42K miles. I had it in the shop at 48K when I decided to trade it in. In any case, My 3 Saabs have required little unscheduled maintenance other than many fog light lens replacements.

Interior: This car is made for driving and comfort. I love all the features. I had leather heated seats. Exterior: Profile, lines. Love the Winter driving mode with snow tires on this, too.

They got rid of the V-6 (Good). They redesigned fog lights (Good). The Bosch ABS Module goes out on these (and other cars). Saab needs to reduce the $2500 for the entire assembly to about $400 for just the module. It's a 20 minute job for a DIY'r. See Saanet.com for more.