2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Hope You Have A Fat Bank Account
By sundawg18 on 05/31/13 09:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used, from the original owner, with 60,000 miles. In the few years I've owned it - and over 30,000 miles later - I've had at least $5,000 worth of work done to it. Around 65,000 it stalled during rush hour. A few years later it started to stall on the freeway - luckily I had enough time to pull off and into a parking lot before it died. The throttle had to be replaced - to the tune of $900, and I've gone through a couple of batteries that all cost over $200. Now I'm facing an oil leak that my mechanic can't seem to find a cap for since Saab isn't making these cars anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like an awful lot of work for a car still under 100,000 miles.

Terrible hot!
By adonis23 on 07/07/12 08:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I live in the midwest and during this summer of 2012, we have experienced extreme daily heat (99-107 degrees F). My 9-5 Aero automatic usually performs flawlessly inside and out, but the heat has brought odd and annoying electrical problems: There is a "bing-bong" noise that let's you know when there is a problem, which would be helpful if it didn't do it every minute or two; the gas gage fluctuates from completely empty back to the accurate reading while the TSC/off light is on despite pushing the button, and I have replaced the same headlight three times this year. I love the car though. I drove to NYC and was able to get 31.0 mpg, which is incredible with 230 bhp.

Turbo 4 cyl, love it!
By Italianpony09 on 11/26/09 18:42 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car to replace my 90' F-150 as a daily driver. Good mpg considering the performance and size of the car. First day my serpentine belt slipped off, dealer had head gasket replaced from before I purchased it and missed that the crank seal was leaking oil too. Alarm batteries are going dead, pulled the fuse to prevent it from going off erratically. A few common problems for 9-5's, but to be expected for a 9 yr old car. Overall I am very pleased with the 9-5, can't wait to be able to purchase a new one. Hope that GM is able to sell Saab back to a Swedish company and not drop the brand altogether, I would be very sad. It's a pretty smart car for a 2001! Gotta love the swede's!

My 2nd Saab this year!
By Jay on 05/15/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just moved up from a 9-3 SE to a 9-5 Aero. These are the first two Saabs I've ever owned. The 9-3 met an untimely end but it wasn't the car's fault. So we looked around for a couple of weeks and found this gem. The ride is great, it is a little punchier than the 9-3, and these cars are actually roomy for a 6'6" guy to drive. Previous owner kept it flawless. It's eight years old with 53K on it.

Nice ride!
By snowboardereh on 05/03/09 09:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Nice Ride! Interior very roomy. Split rear seat makes it easy to put a couple of snowboards and gear in trunk and still be able to have someone sit in the back!

Never Again
By MzKim on 10/15/08 20:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased this car used. It was pretty to look at and clean, however one month after driving off the lot I began to had problems & it never stopped: fuel pump, electrical, water pump, timing chain, AC system, sunroof, turbo and the list goes on. 4 yrs later I refuse to spend another penny. I through a piston rod and need a new motor. I am done.

A Good Safe Used Car Value
By saabsrok on 05/02/08 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

5 Sp Aero; My 4th Saab, 3rd Aero. Bought used on ebay w/43K miles and saved big. Now at 110K, even came with a 3 yr warranty. Car has been trouble free for the most part, stranded me once when gas line broke which was later part of a recall. I can't suggest buying new as Saab's depreciate like a rock. Easily get +31 MPG & +500 per tank during mostly highway miles. In the winter these cars really rock especially with 16" Toyo winters. This is one of the best FWD Sport Utility Vehicles out there!

No BMW
By bayviewwilliams on 03/12/08 22:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

My 9-5 was swift, not fast. Exceptionally comfortable. Interior packaging was great, trunk space awesome, even good gas mileage. But GM really let Saab go, and the performance, build quality or materials cannot hold a candle to contemporary BMW's.

Don't Do It
By A Navarrete on 07/20/07 21:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great features for the money. They look great, are fun to drive and get good gas mileage but I've chewed gum that was more dependable. Two Saabs and over $4,000 in repairs not including the warranty recalls. I thought maybe my first one was a lemon so I got another. I was wrong. They are all lemons.

Poor mans BMW?
By pcguy74 on 04/09/07 21:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Sedan 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this one used, my first Saab. Warranty fixed the turbo and gasket (blue smoke is your indicator). Heater blower just went at 95K. I love this car, though the interior design still needs more thought. I'd buy another one, luxury without the pricetag, fun without the fuel bill. I've averaged 26mpg overall w/70 percent highway driving... pretty good for 70K+ miles, I have made 31-32 at times but I can't stay at the speed limit with this fun car! It even saved my life once in winter weather, avoided a head on because of ESP feature, fun AND safe? you bet!