2001 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Turbo 4 cyl, love it!
By Italianpony09 on 11/26/09 18:42 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car to replace my 90' F-150 as a daily driver. Good mpg considering the performance and size of the car. First day my serpentine belt slipped off, dealer had head gasket replaced from before I purchased it and missed that the crank seal was leaking oil too. Alarm batteries are going dead, pulled the fuse to prevent it from going off erratically. A few common problems for 9-5's, but to be expected for a 9 yr old car. Overall I am very pleased with the 9-5, can't wait to be able to purchase a new one. Hope that GM is able to sell Saab back to a Swedish company and not drop the brand altogether, I would be very sad. It's a pretty smart car for a 2001! Gotta love the swede's!

Don't Do It
By A Navarrete on 07/20/07 21:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great features for the money. They look great, are fun to drive and get good gas mileage but I've chewed gum that was more dependable. Two Saabs and over $4,000 in repairs not including the warranty recalls. I thought maybe my first one was a lemon so I got another. I was wrong. They are all lemons.

Poor mans BMW?
By pcguy74 on 04/09/07 21:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this one used, my first Saab. Warranty fixed the turbo and gasket (blue smoke is your indicator). Heater blower just went at 95K. I love this car, though the interior design still needs more thought. I'd buy another one, luxury without the pricetag, fun without the fuel bill. I've averaged 26mpg overall w/70 percent highway driving... pretty good for 70K+ miles, I have made 31-32 at times but I can't stay at the speed limit with this fun car! It even saved my life once in winter weather, avoided a head on because of ESP feature, fun AND safe? you bet!

Saab Story
By jon_e_quest on 03/07/07 14:55 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 7th Saab, 2nd 9-5. It will be my LAST! Bought with 37K miles. Replaced the Turbo, ACC control module, trip computer, & entire dash facia at 46K (all warrantied). Now with 68K miles, have a short in the no. 8 fuse circuit that nobody can find. Unless I drive with that fuse out, battery dies. Intermittent engine light due to a faulty coil pack (possibly under recall, but I had to purchase one for my last 9-5.). Intermittent oil light (replaced the sending unit, but now it looks like a $1K oil pump replacement). Replaced the left side ACC air dist. stepping motor which controls temp adjust. Replaced both fog lights. Needs left side ball joint. Sunroof rattles. I give up!

Awful build
By pkelly944 on 02/09/07 10:44 AM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car has its upsides: good performance out at the 2.3 w/ the turbo. Brakes well. On the downside: With 80,500 miles, head gasket, oil change never missed. Always has blown blue smoke occasionally, interior electronics fail, headlights burn out monthly. Horrible wiring system. All small things break. Air bag light on for no reason. Has had two tune up under warranty with no resolve for the smoke. Power steering lines replaced. Never would recommend.

Jury is Out
By Stewart in VT on 07/28/05 20:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the car - basically - despite its quirks. Thank God bought a certified pre-owned - 6 months into it - at 50k, I needed a new head gasket and turbocharger - $2,900! (Free w/ CPO) - Engine light came on this week - though nothing more than gas tank cap not on tight. And huge disparity between average city and highway gas mileage - as in 17/29. A discernable turbo lag -- though kick into sport mode transmission and it's WOW, even on base model. Nice car, hope it lasts. DO get a CPO warranty for protection - dealer told me it's $1,200 of the $16,000 price I paid, and definately insurance worth having until 100,000 miles.

wow, a piece of dirt
By Stephanie on 07/13/05 23:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my Saab for one year, and I am already replacing the transmission. This is not the first thing that has gone wrong. I have also experienced the headlights going out multiple times, hub bearing replacement, among other things. DO NOT buy this Saab. It is a piece of dirt.

Verdict Still Out
By JOHN on 01/13/05 19:31 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought certified used with 36,000 miles on it. Less than 5,000 miles later needed new oil pump, new water pump (covered by warranty) and replaced the brake light bulbs twice. Very comfortable car and relatively fun to drive. Does have slight but noticable turbo lag, but car is nimble. Gimmicky cupholder is useless. Very little storage space in cabin for things like coins, etc. I like the car but early indications of reliability give me pause.

AVOID SAABS
By Jerry4 on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2001 Saab 9-5 has 40300 miles on it and since I purchased it, it has been at the dealership every other week. Please avoid this vehicle at all costs. Save yourself the hassle of going to the dealership and receiving the worst service especially if you go to Charles River Saab where they try to charge you for parts that are under warranty. I have been stranded 3 times with this vehicle and missed a major client meeting.

Fun to own
By snowbirdco on 05/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Saab is extremely comfortable, it drives well in good and bad weather. Very fun to drive. This car puts a smile on my face everytime I walk up to it!