Used 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Turbo 4 cyl, love it!
By Italianpony09

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car to replace my 90' F-150 as a daily driver. Good mpg considering the performance and size of the car. First day my serpentine belt slipped off, dealer had head gasket replaced from before I purchased it and missed that the crank seal was leaking oil too. Alarm batteries are going dead, pulled the fuse to prevent it from going off erratically. A few common problems for 9-5's, but to be expected for a 9 yr old car. Overall I am very pleased with the 9-5, can't wait to be able to purchase a new one. Hope that GM is able to sell Saab back to a Swedish company and not drop the brand altogether, I would be very sad. It's a pretty smart car for a 2001! Gotta love the swede's!

Favorite Features

Turbo 4 cyl, love it! Seats are leather, heated, powered, and for the front have adjustable lumbar support. Huge trunk space! Roomy back seat with arm rest and duel cup holders. Rear air vents, auto defrost, excellent sound system, flat folding rear seat for longer storage. I could say so much more!

Suggested Improvements

Hybrid and diesel motor option, two cup holders for front, alarm siren box with rechargeable batteries, don't like day time running lights, aux input option, easier access to air filter, on dash push start button, older style motor without sludge problems. A Swedish company owning them again!!

Don't Do It
By A Navarrete

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great features for the money. They look great, are fun to drive and get good gas mileage but I've chewed gum that was more dependable. Two Saabs and over $4,000 in repairs not including the warranty recalls. I thought maybe my first one was a lemon so I got another. I was wrong. They are all lemons.

Favorite Features

Loaded for the money. Nice stereo and controls.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability.

Poor mans BMW?
By pcguy74

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this one used, my first Saab. Warranty fixed the turbo and gasket (blue smoke is your indicator). Heater blower just went at 95K. I love this car, though the interior design still needs more thought. I'd buy another one, luxury without the pricetag, fun without the fuel bill. I've averaged 26mpg overall w/70 percent highway driving... pretty good for 70K+ miles, I have made 31-32 at times but I can't stay at the speed limit with this fun car! It even saved my life once in winter weather, avoided a head on because of ESP feature, fun AND safe? you bet!

Favorite Features

Sport mode, took me 2 months to realize I had it - doh! Parking next to other Saabs, it's an unwritten rule for the "club" of owners. Night mode for dash is great.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder in armrest? Stupid! Armrests on front doors need to be raised a bit - drove a 2004 and its been fixed!

Saab Story
By jon_e_quest

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my 7th Saab, 2nd 9-5. It will be my LAST! Bought with 37K miles. Replaced the Turbo, ACC control module, trip computer, & entire dash facia at 46K (all warrantied). Now with 68K miles, have a short in the no. 8 fuse circuit that nobody can find. Unless I drive with that fuse out, battery dies. Intermittent engine light due to a faulty coil pack (possibly under recall, but I had to purchase one for my last 9-5.). Intermittent oil light (replaced the sending unit, but now it looks like a $1K oil pump replacement). Replaced the left side ACC air dist. stepping motor which controls temp adjust. Replaced both fog lights. Needs left side ball joint. Sunroof rattles. I give up!

Favorite Features

Drives nice. Plenty of power.

Suggested Improvements

Saab has bitten off more than it can chew with respect to the electrical system... overly complicated and unreliable. (I want my 1978 Saab 99 GLE back! Drove it to 200K miles before selling and replaced only the timing chain!)

Awful build
By pkelly944

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car has its upsides: good performance out at the 2.3 w/ the turbo. Brakes well. On the downside: With 80,500 miles, head gasket, oil change never missed. Always has blown blue smoke occasionally, interior electronics fail, headlights burn out monthly. Horrible wiring system. All small things break. Air bag light on for no reason. Has had two tune up under warranty with no resolve for the smoke. Power steering lines replaced. Never would recommend.

Favorite Features

Key style, headrests, gauges.

Suggested Improvements

Improve wiring. Too many shorts, blown bulbs. SID doesnt work due to bad wiring of the computer board.