Used 2001 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saab 9-5

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Don't Bother - These things are money pits
By Richard

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I should have looked further into that price (why does a car with this many nice features and such good driving cost so little) before buying...

The cost for the timing belt, which must be replaced every 80k, is over $1k at the repair shop. If allowed to go to failure, it will destroy the entire V6 engine... Don't buy one of these with a V6 engine.
I spend, on average, about $2.5k each year just replacing things that break so I can keep my car on the road. I'm saving to replace it, but I keep draining my savings to fix it so I can get to work again.
I bought mine used. I've had this particular car now for almost 4 years & 80k miles (bought at 95k miles, now at 175k miles).

Here are the things I've had to replace on my car during that time:
Radiator, Both Radiator Hoses (separate repairs for all 3, one radiator hose failure left me stranded on the side of the road without coolant.)
Ignition coils and spark plugs (that almost left me stranded, I knew they were failing but I had to wait a week for the parts to come in)
Idler pulley (This one was replaced twice, did the first time during the timing belt change at 120k miles, the second one almost stranded me as I saw it bouncing down the road while I was driving to my repair shop).
Water pump (also done during the timing belt, glad I got a 2-for-1 on that one - total cost was $1200 for that repair bill).
Alternator (over $1k for that one, and it took time to come into the 'Saab' specialist shop)
Power steering hoses and reservoir.
Turbo (That was $2k on its own, ouch!)
Front and rear shocks/strut dampers.
Speakers (2 had the foam to fail, I found a speaker repair shop that got them back to working for less than $100 total).
Air Conditioner Controller Motors under the dash, x2. (The first one failed so it was blowing cold during the Winter. The second one failed so it was stuck blowing the defogger onto the windshield during the summer). I did this repair myself. It took a while. I shudder to think what the repair shop would have charged for this one.
I've also had the headlight wipers fail (I removed them) and the sunroof leaks into the vehicle if I'm parked facing down-slope when it rains. Luckily, my office has a parking garage so I don't deal with that too often.
Also, I cut my finger on the wood veneer peeling off of the dash. The wood they used was just too thin and the glue fails over time. I'm gradually peeling it off of my dash, it doesn't look good...

Normal Maintenance Items:
Tires (Tires only last ~50k miles, that's the longest I could get out of a set of Michelins. Thank goodness they're only $500 a set)
Brakes (Pads & Rotors once, Pads the 2nd time. This car eats those too).
Oil Pan and Valve Cover gaskets. I still have to get the stains out of my garage.
Fluids (This thing requires Euro spec synthetic motor oil because of the turbo, it's not cheap - about $80 for the shop to do this oil change).
Headlight bulbs only last about 4 months, that's with the long-life version. The 'Silverstar' bulbs only last 4-6 weeks in this car. These are $20 per pair (for the long-life version).

About 'Onstar' - The onstar system they put in my car is completely obsolete. It will not connect to anything now. I removed the Onstar from my car.

Hope You Have A Fat Bank Account
By sundawg18

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used, from the original owner, with 60,000 miles. In the few years I've owned it - and over 30,000 miles later - I've had at least $5,000 worth of work done to it. Around 65,000 it stalled during rush hour. A few years later it started to stall on the freeway - luckily I had enough time to pull off and into a parking lot before it died. The throttle had to be replaced - to the tune of $900, and I've gone through a couple of batteries that all cost over $200. Now I'm facing an oil leak that my mechanic can't seem to find a cap for since Saab isn't making these cars anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like an awful lot of work for a car still under 100,000 miles.

Fast drive, quick acceleration! Heated seats are awesome - I rarely have to use my heat in the winter. The moonroof is wonderful, even in the rain - I couldn't imagine owning a car that didn't have one. The radio controls on the steering wheel are a bonus, although I'm aware this is fairly standard practice on newer cars (not as common for vehicles in 2000/2001).

Too many to list...

Fun to drive...expensive to fix
By gohard

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my Saab 2001 used with 20k miles in 2004, now has 98k miles.
It has been a great dog mobile and triathlon equipment car.
I have a love/hate relationship with the Turbo.
It has gone once already as has the battery, brakes, cup holder, lights (frequently), electric panel, A/C, etc.
I have easily spent over $10k in repairs.
The ignition is in a terrible place and the car has turned off when a larger person passenger accidentally bumped the ignition.
I thought it was a lemon but from reading other reviews this is typical of this model.
I had hoped to drive it forever but I don't think it will last that long. The interior is nice but I won't buy a performance vehicle again.

Turbo, V6, interior, versatility of back seat positioning, heated seats, cruise control

General reliability, move ignition to steering wheel; oil usage; turbo reliability

Terrible hot!
By adonis23

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I live in the midwest and during this summer of 2012, we have experienced extreme daily heat (99-107 degrees F).
My 9-5 Aero automatic usually performs flawlessly inside and out, but the heat has brought odd and annoying electrical problems:
There is a "bing-bong" noise that let's you know when there is a problem, which would be helpful if it didn't do it every minute or two; the gas gage fluctuates from completely empty back to the accurate reading while the TSC/off light is on despite pushing the button, and I have replaced the same headlight three times this year.
I love the car though.
I drove to NYC and was able to get 31.0 mpg, which is incredible with 230 bhp.

"SPORT" button Sound system Interesting seats Reverse fog lights Seat warmers 230 bhp 31.0 mph highway Great value Uniqueness

Fix the alarm. It's garbage

i want a brand new 2001 saab wagon
By m white

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 138,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance the turbo just blew. we replaced it and suddenly we have gone from great mileage (41 mpg on the highway) to 45.5 mpg! i love driving this car, i love the manual transmission, the way it handles in snow and wet and the comfy seats. i love the cargo space and the split seats and the heated seats. we drive pets and us to Maine and back every summer and need not to get stuck on the road.- i am thinking we need a new car but don't want to turn this sweet thing in.