2001 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Hope You Have A Fat Bank Account
By sundawg18 on 05/31/13 09:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used, from the original owner, with 60,000 miles. In the few years I've owned it - and over 30,000 miles later - I've had at least $5,000 worth of work done to it. Around 65,000 it stalled during rush hour. A few years later it started to stall on the freeway - luckily I had enough time to pull off and into a parking lot before it died. The throttle had to be replaced - to the tune of $900, and I've gone through a couple of batteries that all cost over $200. Now I'm facing an oil leak that my mechanic can't seem to find a cap for since Saab isn't making these cars anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like an awful lot of work for a car still under 100,000 miles.

Fun to drive...expensive to fix
By gohard on 01/06/13 16:15 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my Saab 2001 used with 20k miles in 2004, now has 98k miles. It has been a great dog mobile and triathlon equipment car. I have a love/hate relationship with the Turbo. It has gone once already as has the battery, brakes, cup holder, lights (frequently), electric panel, A/C, etc. I have easily spent over $10k in repairs. The ignition is in a terrible place and the car has turned off when a larger person passenger accidentally bumped the ignition. I thought it was a lemon but from reading other reviews this is typical of this model. I had hoped to drive it forever but I don't think it will last that long. The interior is nice but I won't buy a performance vehicle again.

Terrible hot!
By adonis23 on 07/07/12 08:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I live in the midwest and during this summer of 2012, we have experienced extreme daily heat (99-107 degrees F). My 9-5 Aero automatic usually performs flawlessly inside and out, but the heat has brought odd and annoying electrical problems: There is a "bing-bong" noise that let's you know when there is a problem, which would be helpful if it didn't do it every minute or two; the gas gage fluctuates from completely empty back to the accurate reading while the TSC/off light is on despite pushing the button, and I have replaced the same headlight three times this year. I love the car though. I drove to NYC and was able to get 31.0 mpg, which is incredible with 230 bhp.

i want a brand new 2001 saab wagon
By m white on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 138,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance the turbo just blew. we replaced it and suddenly we have gone from great mileage (41 mpg on the highway) to 45.5 mpg! i love driving this car, i love the manual transmission, the way it handles in snow and wet and the comfy seats. i love the cargo space and the split seats and the heated seats. we drive pets and us to Maine and back every summer and need not to get stuck on the road.- i am thinking we need a new car but don't want to turn this sweet thing in.

Bought it new
By Doc W on 05/18/10 13:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Had this car for 9 years and it has been great. I've owned many European cars and the trick is to follow maintenance strictly. Maintenance is expensive, but cheaper than a car payment, and it looks as classy as 9 years ago.

saab wagon 9-5 se
By karen on 01/03/10 06:27 AM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

great car-practical and fun to drive-terrific cargo space-on star and phone very helpful.

Turbo 4 cyl, love it!
By Italianpony09 on 11/26/09 18:42 PM (PST)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car to replace my 90' F-150 as a daily driver. Good mpg considering the performance and size of the car. First day my serpentine belt slipped off, dealer had head gasket replaced from before I purchased it and missed that the crank seal was leaking oil too. Alarm batteries are going dead, pulled the fuse to prevent it from going off erratically. A few common problems for 9-5's, but to be expected for a 9 yr old car. Overall I am very pleased with the 9-5, can't wait to be able to purchase a new one. Hope that GM is able to sell Saab back to a Swedish company and not drop the brand altogether, I would be very sad. It's a pretty smart car for a 2001! Gotta love the swede's!

What a disappointment
By disappointed on 05/28/09 02:30 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Have owned many makes and models of vehicles, this Saab is the most disappointing along with any service from dealership. I feel like I'm driving on eggshells as this thing bounces all over the road when hitting normal highway bumps in the road. Dealership says shocks are fine. The placement of ignition has got to be the most unsafe place any designer could have chosen. Too many little and big things have gone wrong with this vehicle. I hate it - would never recommend and tell anyone who will listen not to purchase a Saab.

My 2nd Saab this year!
By Jay on 05/15/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just moved up from a 9-3 SE to a 9-5 Aero. These are the first two Saabs I've ever owned. The 9-3 met an untimely end but it wasn't the car's fault. So we looked around for a couple of weeks and found this gem. The ride is great, it is a little punchier than the 9-3, and these cars are actually roomy for a 6'6" guy to drive. Previous owner kept it flawless. It's eight years old with 53K on it.

Nice ride!
By snowboardereh on 05/03/09 09:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

Nice Ride! Interior very roomy. Split rear seat makes it easy to put a couple of snowboards and gear in trunk and still be able to have someone sit in the back!