Used 2001 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saab 9-5

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Hope You Have A Fat Bank Account
By sundawg18

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used, from the original owner, with 60,000 miles. In the few years I've owned it - and over 30,000 miles later - I've had at least $5,000 worth of work done to it. Around 65,000 it stalled during rush hour. A few years later it started to stall on the freeway - luckily I had enough time to pull off and into a parking lot before it died. The throttle had to be replaced - to the tune of $900, and I've gone through a couple of batteries that all cost over $200. Now I'm facing an oil leak that my mechanic can't seem to find a cap for since Saab isn't making these cars anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like an awful lot of work for a car still under 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Fast drive, quick acceleration! Heated seats are awesome - I rarely have to use my heat in the winter. The moonroof is wonderful, even in the rain - I couldn't imagine owning a car that didn't have one. The radio controls on the steering wheel are a bonus, although I'm aware this is fairly standard practice on newer cars (not as common for vehicles in 2000/2001).

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list...

Fun to drive...expensive to fix
By gohard

2001 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my Saab 2001 used with 20k miles in 2004, now has 98k miles. It has been a great dog mobile and triathlon equipment car. I have a love/hate relationship with the Turbo. It has gone once already as has the battery, brakes, cup holder, lights (frequently), electric panel, A/C, etc. I have easily spent over $10k in repairs. The ignition is in a terrible place and the car has turned off when a larger person passenger accidentally bumped the ignition. I thought it was a lemon but from reading other reviews this is typical of this model. I had hoped to drive it forever but I don't think it will last that long. The interior is nice but I won't buy a performance vehicle again.

Favorite Features

Turbo, V6, interior, versatility of back seat positioning, heated seats, cruise control

Suggested Improvements

General reliability, move ignition to steering wheel; oil usage; turbo reliability

Terrible hot!
By adonis23

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I live in the midwest and during this summer of 2012, we have experienced extreme daily heat (99-107 degrees F). My 9-5 Aero automatic usually performs flawlessly inside and out, but the heat has brought odd and annoying electrical problems: There is a "bing-bong" noise that let's you know when there is a problem, which would be helpful if it didn't do it every minute or two; the gas gage fluctuates from completely empty back to the accurate reading while the TSC/off light is on despite pushing the button, and I have replaced the same headlight three times this year. I love the car though. I drove to NYC and was able to get 31.0 mpg, which is incredible with 230 bhp.

Favorite Features

"SPORT" button Sound system Interesting seats Reverse fog lights Seat warmers 230 bhp 31.0 mph highway Great value Uniqueness

Suggested Improvements

Fix the alarm. It's garbage

i want a brand new 2001 saab wagon
By m white

2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 138,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance the turbo just blew. we replaced it and suddenly we have gone from great mileage (41 mpg on the highway) to 45.5 mpg! i love driving this car, i love the manual transmission, the way it handles in snow and wet and the comfy seats. i love the cargo space and the split seats and the heated seats. we drive pets and us to Maine and back every summer and need not to get stuck on the road.- i am thinking we need a new car but don't want to turn this sweet thing in.

Bought it new
By Doc W

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero 4dr Wagon (2.3L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Had this car for 9 years and it has been great. I've owned many European cars and the trick is to follow maintenance strictly. Maintenance is expensive, but cheaper than a car payment, and it looks as classy as 9 years ago.

Favorite Features

gas mileage with much power.(as much as my wife needs). Nothing rides like European cars. lasting class

Suggested Improvements

not as much side bolster in the front seats.