2000 Saab 9-5 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Undoubtedly the most unreliable car

2000 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Review

2.3t Sedan (2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Undoubtedly the most unreliable car ever
By NWpilot70 on

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

In the process of researching my new vehicle purchase, I couldn't help but warn potential owners of a Saab 9-5 about the incredible frequency of costly repairs. 1st turbo replacement at 48000 miles, second turbo just blew again at 95000 miles, despite proper unspooling procedures and impeccable maintenance. A myriad of electronic failures that, come to find out, are outrageously common. Including an ABS module replacement for $3000. The display has been pixelated since around 45000 miles. I sent an e-mail of concern to Saab regarding potential recalls to consider and, of course, I received the courtesy reply. In short, I'll never own another Saab! It's awesome when it's running. Too bad it's rare!

Favorite Features

The cockpit ergonomics, ride quality, seats, and amenities are terrific. Acceleration is more than adequate and at times fun. Cornering is a little soft but braking is solid with no obvious fade. The build quality is what you'd find in a more expensive auto, such as a Mercedes or BMW.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability patterns. Unfortunately, the Saab 9-5's pros aren't near sufficient enough to forget about its cons. If it weren't for the unforgiving number of mechanical and electrical breakdowns, this car could've possibly been my favorite ownership as of yet. Sadly, not the case!