Used 2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Don't think the dealer should know my name
By Frank

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

This car is a nice cheap option used and comes with a nice warranty. Once the warranty expires GET RID OF THE CAR! Car currently needs $5000 worth of repairs (head gasket, rear main seal and abs module). What a hunk of garbage! DO NOT BUY A SAAB, spend the extra few grand and get a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. The dealer knows, my name, my wife's name and my kids names. Unfortunately I also have a Saab 95 wagon. Can't wait to get rid of that either. GARBAGE CAR!!!! If they are born from Jets, then I am done flying!

leather, trunk space, air cooled seats

Make a reliable car. Saab should offer a 150,000 mile warranty.

A pretty fun/good car
By NewM3owner

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Bought my 2000 9-5 used in 12/03. Went with the manual tranny which made it a little sportier. Bad turbo lag, but once it is in the turbo, pretty quick. Handling is fairly tight, not sportscar tight, but pretty good. Overall I was happy with this car. It drove well with very few mechanical problems until just recently, then it seems like everything started to fall apart. I just sold it for a '99 M3 w/ 50k miles. I think I am going to notice worlds of difference.

Lots of standard features: in-dash cd/tape + changer in trunk, leather, dual climate, heated seats (front and rear), moonroof, 2 power points, Harmon Kardon factory sound, etc. If you want sporty, get a manual.

None. Appreciate it for what it is, a somewhat sporty sedan, not as sporty as the Germans, but you can get one with a lot of features for real cheap on the used market. I recommend getting one with less than 50k miles.

The car you love to hate
By another8a

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of this vehicle and have always had it regularly serviced at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. Two turbos have been replaced, oil sludge blew the engine, and now I am dealing with a bad ABS modulator that disables the ABS braking system. My dashboard is an xmas tree of warning lights and the dealer cost on this repair is $2400. I believe that saab should take some responsibility for this design flaw and I have petitioned the NHTSA to help owners of these vehicles. I like the technicians at my dealership; however, I should not know all of them on a first-name basis.

I like the uniques style of the Saab.

Quality control on electronic systems are severly lacking.

Need another car
By redsaabfun

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

For the first several years we owned this car, it was our weekend car. So there was very little that went wrong. We only put 4k miles p/year on it. Once it became my wife's every day car, the problems started ramping up. Lost the serpentine belt 50 miles from home at 14,000 miles. Two water pumps, digital display replaced once, turbo problems. The car is in the shop right now for yet another water pump, that was replaced, yes you guess it, just past the shop warranty of 1 year or 12k miles.

Interior is great. Much more standard features for the money than most vehicles in teh same class. Handles great. Great snow car!

As others have stated, reliability past 20k miles would sure be nice.

Undoubtedly the most unreliable car ever
By NWpilot70

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

In the process of researching my new vehicle purchase, I couldn't help but warn potential owners of a Saab 9-5 about the incredible frequency of costly repairs. 1st turbo replacement at 48000 miles, second turbo just blew again at 95000 miles, despite proper unspooling procedures and impeccable maintenance. A myriad of electronic failures that, come to find out, are outrageously common. Including an ABS module replacement for $3000. The display has been pixelated since around 45000 miles. I sent an e-mail of concern to Saab regarding potential recalls to consider and, of course, I received the courtesy reply. In short, I'll never own another Saab! It's awesome when it's running. Too bad it's rare!

The cockpit ergonomics, ride quality, seats, and amenities are terrific. Acceleration is more than adequate and at times fun. Cornering is a little soft but braking is solid with no obvious fade. The build quality is what you'd find in a more expensive auto, such as a Mercedes or BMW.

Better reliability patterns. Unfortunately, the Saab 9-5's pros aren't near sufficient enough to forget about its cons. If it weren't for the unforgiving number of mechanical and electrical breakdowns, this car could've possibly been my favorite ownership as of yet. Sadly, not the case!