Used 2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

SAAB story
By ed

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I use the car in my business, and it is mostly highway. This car does nothing bad, and has been very reliable. The biggest problem with any SAAB is repair costs. Since I do most of my own, I can save on those. The previous poster who said the timing belt on his 9/5 was a problem should go get his money back. The 2.3t engine uses a chain, not a belt. They last nearly forever.

Overall comfort, reasonable fuel economy (about 28, all around), and while not an Aero, it's fast.

Pricing is out of line with resale values.

Never buying Saab again
By szthdy

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Afte having a Saab 900 that ran forever and bought used, I carefully researched wagons and came to the 9-5 purchase expecting good things. I've had problems with the the theft alarm and various things almost since day 1. Now, only 7 yrs. old, it needs more repair than it is even worth, and I've waited for tow trucks 4x in less than 2 yrs., not counting prior to that. I can only expect that reliability has gone down even further. I got a lemon, and will be glad to soon be rid of it! Cramped rear, flimsy and inconvenient (albeit cool) cupholders. It is a nice car, all except for the reliability problems.

It is comfortable and fun to drive. I called it my "sporty mommy car".

Cup holders are actually near useless, as so flimsy. And please make it reliable again!

best Saab yet
By johnshepherd

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

My 3rd Saab, downsized from an 9000 Aero. less power, better quality and comfort. bought as end of lease with 100K warranty, cheaper that way. one major breakdown, idler puller went, under warranty. Do not like the automatic transmission though, no fun. Love my Saabs.

Great ride, lots of room, good economy.

The Saab badges have a bad habit of wearing off.

2000 Saab 9-5 Wagon
By DriverEd

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

This car can do it all. It can haul just about anything and it handles like a sport sedan. The turbo engine spools early, so there's no lag and the highway passing power is better than many v6's that I've driven. The interior is luxurious and the driver ergonomics is like a cockpit. Interior quality is top notch and overall reliability has so far been great. No regrets.

Enjoyable car, but some sticky points
By porterjs

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Some quirks and some warranty-covered reliability issues have not hindered the enjoyment of this car. The car rides very nicely and has enough power for both around town and some speedier highway driving. The interior layout and ergonomics are superb, and generally build quality is good. Two new turbos (one likely not installed perfectly) and a tendency to go through a lot of light bulbs and a couple of batteries have tried our patience at times - as has the lack of dealer parts inventory once or twice. The cargo room is quite good.

Seats are superb and the dash layout is one of the best in the industry. The engine's power delivery is excellent for a 4 cylinder turbo (i.e. turbo lag is not very noticeable and there is a good range of torque power available for city starts and for highway passing).

The key fob is too big and has lousy range. Build quality is good, but the turbo charger failure, early battery failures (both covered by warranty) and light bulb burnouts are a nuisance. Tan interior color could be a little darker.