2000 Saab 9-5 2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2000 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

2.3t Wagon (2.3L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
SAAB story
By ed on 06/28/09 10:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I use the car in my business, and it is mostly highway. This car does nothing bad, and has been very reliable. The biggest problem with any SAAB is repair costs. Since I do most of my own, I can save on those. The previous poster who said the timing belt on his 9/5 was a problem should go get his money back. The 2.3t engine uses a chain, not a belt. They last nearly forever.

Never buying Saab again
By szthdy on 10/17/07 15:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Afte having a Saab 900 that ran forever and bought used, I carefully researched wagons and came to the 9-5 purchase expecting good things. I've had problems with the the theft alarm and various things almost since day 1. Now, only 7 yrs. old, it needs more repair than it is even worth, and I've waited for tow trucks 4x in less than 2 yrs., not counting prior to that. I can only expect that reliability has gone down even further. I got a lemon, and will be glad to soon be rid of it! Cramped rear, flimsy and inconvenient (albeit cool) cupholders. It is a nice car, all except for the reliability problems.

best Saab yet
By johnshepherd on 03/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

My 3rd Saab, downsized from an 9000 Aero. less power, better quality and comfort. bought as end of lease with 100K warranty, cheaper that way. one major breakdown, idler puller went, under warranty. Do not like the automatic transmission though, no fun. Love my Saabs.

2000 Saab 9-5 Wagon
By DriverEd on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

This car can do it all. It can haul just about anything and it handles like a sport sedan. The turbo engine spools early, so there's no lag and the highway passing power is better than many v6's that I've driven. The interior is luxurious and the driver ergonomics is like a cockpit. Interior quality is top notch and overall reliability has so far been great. No regrets.

Enjoyable car, but some sticky points
By porterjs on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Some quirks and some warranty-covered reliability issues have not hindered the enjoyment of this car. The car rides very nicely and has enough power for both around town and some speedier highway driving. The interior layout and ergonomics are superb, and generally build quality is good. Two new turbos (one likely not installed perfectly) and a tendency to go through a lot of light bulbs and a couple of batteries have tried our patience at times - as has the lack of dealer parts inventory once or twice. The cargo room is quite good.

love it!
By venkisiyer on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

We've had a 2000 wagon since jan 2001 - its a great car, absolutely no problems, great performance, like the interior layout and quality, good external looks (little more conventional than previous saabs), and of course, the dealer's always been great during services, etc.

Can't wait to give it back!
By Washout on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

When I 1st leased this car I thought I'd grow to love it. Now I can't wait to turn it in. Initial build quality was not good. Panels popped up and burnt out bulbs. Handling was fine and the interior was comfy and well laid-out. In the 2 years I've had it I've had mysterious display problems, many more burnt out bulbs and incredibly crappy gas mileage. Exterior styling and finish is not aging well. It makes me glad my lease was only 3 years.It's VERY pokey off the line, with power only at freeway speeds. Extremely annoying.

Great car-great lease
By timsmith on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

This is my third Saab. Although I miss the quirkiness of my old 900s, this vehicle is head and shoulders above our old 9000cs. The car has cost us next to nothing to drive (especially once you consider the extremely reasonable lease packages Saab is putting together). The car has never been in to the shop for anything other than "scheduled maintenance," and Morries in Minnetonka, MN is even a reasonable place for an hour coffee break. I have really enjoyed this car.

My Saab Story
By Freeway Willy on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

By all reason, this should be the perfect alternative to an SUV. Great standard features, lots of room, very comfortable. However, when it comes to ride, quality and reliability this car dropped very quickly to the distinctive "worst car I've ever owned". Car visits the shop very frequently. Dealer acknowledges the problems time and time again, but says they can't isolate them to fix them. It makes me crazy to drive this car. Can't get rid of it. It's value dropped off a clif just like its quality. Do yourself a favor. Don't be fooled by this pretty face. Run as fast as you can away from any urge to purchase a Saab.

Poor Saab Reliability
By dinori on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I have never owned a new car that has had so many problems. The car does have excellent J.D. Powers Initial quality. However, it falls rapidly downhill after the first year of ownership. In 50,000 miles: 1) Replace the turbocharger 2) Replace the engine computer 3) Replace the SID Computer (information display) 4) Repace power steering line 5) Replace heat warmer switch 6) Replace door trim 7) Replace head lamps four times 8) Repair windshield washer jets 9) Replace rear windshield wiper assembly 10) Replace Brake Rotors New Problems to be Serviced: 1) A/C Compressor Moans at low engine speed 2) Second Power Steering Line Leaking