2000 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Don't Buy This Car
By ivanrothschild on 12/22/10 19:21 PM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Got a great deal on it used. It was fun at first, the turbo was a blast. Ventilated seats, neat dash controls, but it started falling apart. Car alarm would go off randomly in the night when temperatures dropped. It burned oil. Was expensive to fix and never was able to fix it. Oil bled into the brake lines. Blue smoke everytime I started it. Finally had to pawn it off to a dealer as a trade-in. LEMON. I loved the features of the car and still miss certain things about it, but it was unreliable and just downright embarrassing with the clouds of blue smoke I left in parking lots.

First time Saab owner
By Sarah on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

This is my first Saab, I am it's 3rd owner and I bought it with 126k on it. Has a brand new turbo, drivers side heated seat does NOT work, I love it don't get me wrong so far so good, fingers crossed I don't rack up some hefty repair bills!

Nice car, but junk
By Frank on 08/28/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Loved the look and driving feel of car. So glad I had a warranty since it was in the shop every month. At least the dealership gave me a nice loaner car. Couldn't wait to buy a Toyota. Repairs done: new turbo, struts, starter. Repairs needed: ABS module ($3000), Transmission ($2500) and another turbo ($3000). DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND.

Mixed Feelings
By AMB on 08/07/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used about 2 years ago with 88,000 miles on it. (My dad purchased a 2000 9-5 aero a few months earlier and I loved his so much I wanted one). It's a fun car to drive, love the sports drive option, and has good overall handling (except in the snow!) Mechanically...I always feel like I'm replacing something! The turbo has gone once already, air filters, struts, brakes, and the oil needs to be changed constantly or the check engine light comes on. The pixels in the dash computer keep going as well and it always reads 'tail light out' even though it's not. My dad has had similar issues with the dash computer and it is expensive to fix. This is a car I hate to love!

Love Hate Relationship
By Saab Story on 08/07/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

I bought a used Saab 9-5 SE with 98000 miles on it. It was the car of my dreams. I've never liked a car so much. Until it started leaking oil. Then the oil gasket blew. And the ABS module blew. And the serpentine belt blew. And 2 months later the entire belt tensioner blew, causing the serpentine belt to snap, causing a melt down. The list goes on. In the course of a year, I spent $3000 in repairs. The shameful thing is that I love driving this car so much, I actually considered getting another one. Had to slap myself out of it, because it really is better as a second car you only take for long highway rides. Guess I'm gonna have to find a 12-step program for Saab drivers.

Don't think the dealer should know my name
By Frank on 06/13/08 09:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

This car is a nice cheap option used and comes with a nice warranty. Once the warranty expires GET RID OF THE CAR! Car currently needs $5000 worth of repairs (head gasket, rear main seal and abs module). What a hunk of garbage! DO NOT BUY A SAAB, spend the extra few grand and get a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. The dealer knows, my name, my wife's name and my kids names. Unfortunately I also have a Saab 95 wagon. Can't wait to get rid of that either. GARBAGE CAR!!!! If they are born from Jets, then I am done flying!

A pretty fun/good car
By NewM3owner on 08/09/07 12:19 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Bought my 2000 9-5 used in 12/03. Went with the manual tranny which made it a little sportier. Bad turbo lag, but once it is in the turbo, pretty quick. Handling is fairly tight, not sportscar tight, but pretty good. Overall I was happy with this car. It drove well with very few mechanical problems until just recently, then it seems like everything started to fall apart. I just sold it for a '99 M3 w/ 50k miles. I think I am going to notice worlds of difference.

The car you love to hate
By another8a on 04/22/07 23:56 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of this vehicle and have always had it regularly serviced at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. Two turbos have been replaced, oil sludge blew the engine, and now I am dealing with a bad ABS modulator that disables the ABS braking system. My dashboard is an xmas tree of warning lights and the dealer cost on this repair is $2400. I believe that saab should take some responsibility for this design flaw and I have petitioned the NHTSA to help owners of these vehicles. I like the technicians at my dealership; however, I should not know all of them on a first-name basis.

Need another car
By redsaabfun on 03/21/07 14:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

For the first several years we owned this car, it was our weekend car. So there was very little that went wrong. We only put 4k miles p/year on it. Once it became my wife's every day car, the problems started ramping up. Lost the serpentine belt 50 miles from home at 14,000 miles. Two water pumps, digital display replaced once, turbo problems. The car is in the shop right now for yet another water pump, that was replaced, yes you guess it, just past the shop warranty of 1 year or 12k miles.

Undoubtedly the most unreliable car ever
By NWpilot70 on 12/18/06 00:28 AM (PST)

2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

In the process of researching my new vehicle purchase, I couldn't help but warn potential owners of a Saab 9-5 about the incredible frequency of costly repairs. 1st turbo replacement at 48000 miles, second turbo just blew again at 95000 miles, despite proper unspooling procedures and impeccable maintenance. A myriad of electronic failures that, come to find out, are outrageously common. Including an ABS module replacement for $3000. The display has been pixelated since around 45000 miles. I sent an e-mail of concern to Saab regarding potential recalls to consider and, of course, I received the courtesy reply. In short, I'll never own another Saab! It's awesome when it's running. Too bad it's rare!