1999 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Love the ride - expensive to repair
By bc on 02/19/09 10:07 AM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I drove this car from NY to Ohio the month it came off the showroom floor and loved the car. 8 yrs later, I bought it from my friend at 96000 mi. still rode great and I was on top of the world. Then the warning lights came. I spent $2000 in repairs with a Saab dealer and it looks like it might come to that in repairs again this year. Love the looks and the ride, but...

Better Know a Good Mechanic
By BrianM on 01/28/09 12:50 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

Engine has been torn apart 3 times for misc oil leaks, turbo has been replaced, muffler replaced. Misc sensor and electrical systems failures. We are on a first name basis with our mechanic. We spend at least $1000-$1500 per year on maintenance. Much more than any other vehicle we've owned. Every part is amazingly proprietary and expensive. $300 plastic turn signal lights... $900 mufflers... etc. It was just crazy. The best thing that ever happened to us was that car getting nearly totally in an accident (and of course that no one was hurt) so that we can take the insurance money and run.

Runs like a champ
By johnd on 06/13/08 11:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought my 4- cyl turbo se special edition with BBS wheels brand new. Fun to drive, a great value for the money if you buy used. My 9-5 has 125,000 miles on it and I plan on going to 200k. Change oil with synthetic or semi- synthetic and only have had minor problems with electrical system. The panel goes bonkers sometimes but overall would buy again. Need to buy the Aero next time or Saab should make other models sportier with lowered suspension. Out handles many a surprised BMW, Audi and M-B drivers. Shock value is high.

Dont Do it
By Dont do it on 04/30/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 V6t 4dr Wagon

Don't Do it! Fun to drive when not driving to the shop. Water pump (twice) alternator, ignition, alarm, struts and Ive lost count of what else in two years. This is my wife's 5th and last SAAB. I was sold on asian vehicles a number of years ago, even my Hyundai was more reliable. Im glad we have AAA towing with SAABs. Since I met my wife, I am familar to the SAAB Store due to our what seems like quarterly visits. Its not a matter of if something breaks, but when. Whats that SAAB stands for Something Always Again Broken? With a new baby we had better things to do, so I bought a Toyota, and am forcing a SAAB sale. Any buyers? Please take this clunker off our backs!

SAAB 9-5
By Kevin on 04/22/08 08:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

Had to put in rebuilt trans at 92K, had to rebuild engine at 129K. Performed maintenance as scheduled. Very expensive car to own.

Never thought I would love it but I do!
By Helene on 03/30/08 18:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

This car is amazing. I love it. I never liked the way saabs looked and never thought I would buy one. But when I sat in it ... I fell in love with it. I love the leather and all the extras! I'm thrilled with it, and my next car will probably be a saab.

Awesome car
By KB on 12/12/07 20:30 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Awesome car!!! Very powerful and sharp handling. Great cargo storage, very quiet at highway speeds. Waterpump & alternator at 80,000 miles. One of the safest & most comfortable cars ever built. Excellent fuel economy for size & performance. After owning this I will continue to buy Saab. This is my second Saab. Better than my BMW 735i.

155,000 miles
By Great Car on 12/03/07 15:21 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've owned BMWs, Fords, Mitsubishis, an Audi and an Acura, but I'm most impressed with the SAAB. These are truly under rated cars. Mine has 155K miles. It's quick (in sport mode) great ride/handling combination. Paint and interior look nearly new. Reliability has been much better than expected. 25K MPG average is icing on the cake. Even with my miles the car feels solid and has no rattles. I change oil every 3-5K miles and change transmission oil every 30K. I've had the head bolts tightened (apparently important with 4 cylinder). Only unscheduled fix was a turbo at 140K. If SAAB would change the body style, I would buy another.

Awesome car after depreciation
By rb676 on 11/14/07 20:35 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought one two years ago with 91k miles. I have put on a little over 30k. I paid $7k and had to spend about $900 after the first month (all new belts). It's been great ever since. The headlamps burn out a little too frequently and my Theft Alarm has an annoying error. But that's fine, the harmon-kardon stereo is fantastic, the seats are as comfortable as can be, and the car just feels very smart and Scandanavian. I have one of the last Saab-Scanias. Hey... don't buy new! What can I say?

Horrible Vehicle
By Anna on 09/24/07 14:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

This vehicle by far is one of the worst made of all time. Bought for 6700 and have put just about the same into it. Engine had sludge buildup even with regular oil changes and all scheduled maintenance. Problem after problem after problem. Truly lives up to its Saab acronym of Something Almost Always Broken... buyers beware of any Saab.