1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
2nd Saab.....Not my last
By capt_slow on 03/15/11 17:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Sold my 9000 Aero with 155K miles and bought a 1999 9-5 2.3T wagon with 120K. Absolutely love it as my commuter car. All options still work and is still nice and quiet. I have however had lot of vacuum problems. Replaced the turbo bypass valve, vacuum hoses, and fixed brake booster lines(Did all the work myself with the help of a friend so very inexpensive). Other than that nothing beats this car on performance and gas mileage. I get a couple mpg's better than my 9000 Aero. My family is full of Saabs and thats for a reason. Fantastic cars if you keep up on maintenance. Hoping to get a newer 9-3 after this 9-5.

Like the car very much but...
By kb on 11/19/09 21:53 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Second SAAB purchased. First a 1995 900s. I like it so much I thought I will buy another. The 1999 95 is a sweet machine!!! Fast, comfortable, safe, quiet with a lot of storage and it looks good sitting in the garage which is usually where it is cause it hardly ever runs. Before 100,000 miles 2 turbos, water pump, alternator, crank sensor, battery, engine temp sensor, transmission safety switch. Check engine goes on and off so does transmission light. Nobody knows why. I researched web taken to repair centers. I am a certified mechanic. It is stuck out front of the house useless as usual. Spent over $3000 in last 20,000mi and still broke again.

Love the ride - expensive to repair
By bc on 02/19/09 10:07 AM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I drove this car from NY to Ohio the month it came off the showroom floor and loved the car. 8 yrs later, I bought it from my friend at 96000 mi. still rode great and I was on top of the world. Then the warning lights came. I spent $2000 in repairs with a Saab dealer and it looks like it might come to that in repairs again this year. Love the looks and the ride, but...

Awesome car
By KB on 12/12/07 20:30 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Awesome car!!! Very powerful and sharp handling. Great cargo storage, very quiet at highway speeds. Waterpump & alternator at 80,000 miles. One of the safest & most comfortable cars ever built. Excellent fuel economy for size & performance. After owning this I will continue to buy Saab. This is my second Saab. Better than my BMW 735i.

Beauty meets power
By Zach Leighton on 06/01/06 07:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

This car is fast, the sport button was always on for me, and you can tell when the turbo kicks in, giving you the rush of adrenaline. The interior is creamy and extremely comfortable, it is also the best looking wagon on the road. It is also the safest car on the road, I got hit at 60mph on the drivers side and nobody was even scratched! The only problem was the turbo not being cooled enough and breaking at around 70kmi.

So disappointed
By raedej on 09/17/05 05:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I love the comfort, styling and drive in the Saab 9-5. But the quality and therefore reliability of this car is terrible. Yes, it's the electrical system - head/tail lights burn out too quickly, the entire key/ignition system had to be replaced (by me, after the warranty expired), the climate control periodically goes on the fritz; even the digital display loses pixels on a regular basis. A real disappointment on my first and last Saab.

Brand Loyal No More
By So long Saab on 04/06/05 17:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

After three previous Saab purchases, the 1999 wagon will be my last. While I love the feel and look of the car, the repair record vs. the price point of the car has led me away from the Brand for any future purposes. All the following repairs occurred before 55,000 miles: 2 headlamps replaced along with the computer chip that controls high beams.2 water pumps - one at 37,000 miles and the other at 55,000 miles.Turbo Assist failure - the shaft of the turbo mechanism sheared off at 55,000 miles and had to replace the entire turbo unit ($1500). Countless light bulbs!

Best Seat on the Highway
By NOTIZ on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

This is the best seat in any car made.No problems with car after 80ooo miles.They should bring the turbo diesel over from Europe to better the fuel mileage.

Paul's Review
By pdozier on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Own a 99 black 9-5 Wagon. Great car. Rides like a sedan. Handles better than my BMW 5 series. Needs more storage, which could be accomplished by moving the ignition to the dash (Goes against Saab purists). Great handling, mediocre gas mileage..did not see 20+ until the car had 30,000 miles? Intermittent problem with the on-board computerized A/C (Goes blank, quits working, but eventually works) Dealer is poor (no licensed Saab mechanic) which lowers my rating. Love the turbo power when merging, passing. Would consider buying a new one, but Saab needs to drop pricing. It's not a BMW. Glad to see Saab addressing this on '03 9-3.

We love it!!
By Woodster on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

When our 91 Saab 900 bit the dust, we were very happy to find this beautiful 95 wagon. We are fans of the Saab design style, so many of the comon complaints (center ignition) are lost on us. The car is deceptively smooth driving, but can really move when pushed hard, and can handle swift manuevering with ease. I can't tell you how many times I've "accidently" smoked the tires pulling away from a stop lioght, and with a 4 cyl no less. Overall very pleased.