Used 1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t Wagon Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

2nd Saab.....Not my last
By capt_slow

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Sold my 9000 Aero with 155K miles and bought a 1999 9-5 2.3T wagon with 120K. Absolutely love it as my commuter car. All options still work and is still nice and quiet.
I have however had lot of vacuum problems. Replaced the turbo bypass valve, vacuum hoses, and fixed brake booster lines(Did all the work myself with the help of a friend so very inexpensive). Other than that nothing beats this car on performance and gas mileage. I get a couple mpg's better than my 9000 Aero. My family is full of Saabs and thats for a reason. Fantastic cars if you keep up on maintenance. Hoping to get a newer 9-3 after this 9-5.

I love the heated seats and climate control. Tons of room in the Wagon . Sport mode make the car tons of fun and I never got stuck while using winter mode.

Less vacuum operated mechanisms. Other than that...nothing

Like the car very much but...
By kb

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Second SAAB purchased. First a 1995 900s. I like it so much I thought I will buy another. The 1999 95 is a sweet machine!!! Fast, comfortable, safe, quiet with a lot of storage and it looks good sitting in the garage which is usually where it is cause it hardly ever runs. Before 100,000 miles 2 turbos, water pump, alternator, crank sensor, battery, engine temp sensor, transmission safety switch. Check engine goes on and off so does transmission light. Nobody knows why. I researched web taken to repair centers. I am a certified mechanic. It is stuck out front of the house useless as usual. Spent over $3000 in last 20,000mi and still broke again.

The car is safe, secure, powerful and fun to drive. It has a very solid feeling about it. Made in Europe where automotive quality seems more important.

Mine does not run and hasn't been reliable since about 70,000 miles. The only improvement it needs is to work otherwise the car is perfect. However nobody seems to be able to fix it.

Love the ride - expensive to repair
By bc

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I drove this car from NY to Ohio the month it came off the showroom floor and loved the car. 8 yrs later, I bought it from my friend at 96000 mi. still rode great and I was on top of the world. Then the warning lights came. I spent $2000 in repairs with a Saab dealer and it looks like it might come to that in repairs again this year. Love the looks and the ride, but...

Awesome car
By KB

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Awesome car!!! Very powerful and sharp handling. Great cargo storage, very quiet at highway speeds. Waterpump & alternator at 80,000 miles. One of the safest & most comfortable cars ever built. Excellent fuel economy for size & performance. After owning this I will continue to buy Saab. This is my second Saab. Better than my BMW 735i.

Turbo power! Seat comfort & cargo capacity.

Front console drink holder awkward.

Beauty meets power
By Zach Leighton

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

This car is fast, the sport button was always on for me, and you can tell when the turbo kicks in, giving you the rush of adrenaline. The interior is creamy and extremely comfortable, it is also the best looking wagon on the road. It is also the safest car on the road, I got hit at 60mph on the drivers side and nobody was even scratched! The only problem was the turbo not being cooled enough and breaking at around 70kmi.

Turbo on the onramp or left lane driving, heated seats

Turbo cooling problems should have been diagnosed before it was released in '99.