1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
2nd Saab.....Not my last
By capt_slow on 03/15/11 17:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Sold my 9000 Aero with 155K miles and bought a 1999 9-5 2.3T wagon with 120K. Absolutely love it as my commuter car. All options still work and is still nice and quiet. I have however had lot of vacuum problems. Replaced the turbo bypass valve, vacuum hoses, and fixed brake booster lines(Did all the work myself with the help of a friend so very inexpensive). Other than that nothing beats this car on performance and gas mileage. I get a couple mpg's better than my 9000 Aero. My family is full of Saabs and thats for a reason. Fantastic cars if you keep up on maintenance. Hoping to get a newer 9-3 after this 9-5.

Like the car very much but...
By kb on 11/19/09 21:53 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Second SAAB purchased. First a 1995 900s. I like it so much I thought I will buy another. The 1999 95 is a sweet machine!!! Fast, comfortable, safe, quiet with a lot of storage and it looks good sitting in the garage which is usually where it is cause it hardly ever runs. Before 100,000 miles 2 turbos, water pump, alternator, crank sensor, battery, engine temp sensor, transmission safety switch. Check engine goes on and off so does transmission light. Nobody knows why. I researched web taken to repair centers. I am a certified mechanic. It is stuck out front of the house useless as usual. Spent over $3000 in last 20,000mi and still broke again.

Love the ride - expensive to repair
By bc on 02/19/09 10:07 AM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I drove this car from NY to Ohio the month it came off the showroom floor and loved the car. 8 yrs later, I bought it from my friend at 96000 mi. still rode great and I was on top of the world. Then the warning lights came. I spent $2000 in repairs with a Saab dealer and it looks like it might come to that in repairs again this year. Love the looks and the ride, but...

Dont Do it
By Dont do it on 04/30/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon V6t 4dr Wagon

Don't Do it! Fun to drive when not driving to the shop. Water pump (twice) alternator, ignition, alarm, struts and Ive lost count of what else in two years. This is my wife's 5th and last SAAB. I was sold on asian vehicles a number of years ago, even my Hyundai was more reliable. Im glad we have AAA towing with SAABs. Since I met my wife, I am familar to the SAAB Store due to our what seems like quarterly visits. Its not a matter of if something breaks, but when. Whats that SAAB stands for Something Always Again Broken? With a new baby we had better things to do, so I bought a Toyota, and am forcing a SAAB sale. Any buyers? Please take this clunker off our backs!

Awesome car
By KB on 12/12/07 20:30 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Awesome car!!! Very powerful and sharp handling. Great cargo storage, very quiet at highway speeds. Waterpump & alternator at 80,000 miles. One of the safest & most comfortable cars ever built. Excellent fuel economy for size & performance. After owning this I will continue to buy Saab. This is my second Saab. Better than my BMW 735i.

My last Saab
By Dan J on 08/01/07 11:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon V6t 4dr Wagon

We bought our 9.5 wagon new and drove it approximately 10,000m per year. After a very short period, we began to experience a broad range of mechanical issues and failures. This was in spite of the fact that we brought the car back to the dealer for every scheduled maintenance item. The list of failures is very long and the costs have been very high. The final straw was when, after replacing the timing belt as required, the bearing in the timing belt assembly failed and the engine was destroyed. Do not buy this car under any circumstances unless you are ready to pay for many repair bills and want to become best friends with a mechanic.

Beauty meets power
By Zach Leighton on 06/01/06 07:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

This car is fast, the sport button was always on for me, and you can tell when the turbo kicks in, giving you the rush of adrenaline. The interior is creamy and extremely comfortable, it is also the best looking wagon on the road. It is also the safest car on the road, I got hit at 60mph on the drivers side and nobody was even scratched! The only problem was the turbo not being cooled enough and breaking at around 70kmi.

So disappointed
By raedej on 09/17/05 05:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

I love the comfort, styling and drive in the Saab 9-5. But the quality and therefore reliability of this car is terrible. Yes, it's the electrical system - head/tail lights burn out too quickly, the entire key/ignition system had to be replaced (by me, after the warranty expired), the climate control periodically goes on the fritz; even the digital display loses pixels on a regular basis. A real disappointment on my first and last Saab.

Brand Loyal No More
By So long Saab on 04/06/05 17:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

After three previous Saab purchases, the 1999 wagon will be my last. While I love the feel and look of the car, the repair record vs. the price point of the car has led me away from the Brand for any future purposes. All the following repairs occurred before 55,000 miles: 2 headlamps replaced along with the computer chip that controls high beams.2 water pumps - one at 37,000 miles and the other at 55,000 miles.Turbo Assist failure - the shaft of the turbo mechanism sheared off at 55,000 miles and had to replace the entire turbo unit ($1500). Countless light bulbs!

Best Seat on the Highway
By NOTIZ on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 Wagon 2.3t 4dr Wagon

This is the best seat in any car made.No problems with car after 80ooo miles.They should bring the turbo diesel over from Europe to better the fuel mileage.