1999 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Fun, Quick, Safe, Comfy Piece of Crap
By Purveyor of Vehicles on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

So it's very safe, very comfortable, very fun to drive, pretty quick and all around enjoyable car to drive. However, it was designed poorly and is unreliable and puts a permanent pipeline from your wallet to the mechanic.

SAAB Story
By Kevin on 08/29/10 18:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car when running is great. But it breaks at the drop of a hat and it is a thousand here and a thousand there. Luckily I can wrench on it myself and save some money. Expect to replace and engine and expect GM to flip you off unless you live in Europe. They honor the warranty there.

Fantastic 'in-betweener'
By Kiwidude on 07/04/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

We've had our 95 for 5 years now and love it to bits, the whole family loves it. It is a great alternative to a Toyota Camry (or similar) as it is much nicer, has more style and 'feels' much better than the standard Japanese plastic box. It isn't at the same level as a BMW 5 or Audi A6 but neither is the price so what you get is a lovely solid car that does everything reasonably well at a great price. People moan about how it doesn't have the performance of a BMW 5 etc but it doesn't have the price either so! If you want a solid well performing comfortable car look no further. Mine has been reliable but like all cars you can find owners who disagree.

Better Know a Good Mechanic
By BrianM on 01/28/09 12:50 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

Engine has been torn apart 3 times for misc oil leaks, turbo has been replaced, muffler replaced. Misc sensor and electrical systems failures. We are on a first name basis with our mechanic. We spend at least $1000-$1500 per year on maintenance. Much more than any other vehicle we've owned. Every part is amazingly proprietary and expensive. $300 plastic turn signal lights... $900 mufflers... etc. It was just crazy. The best thing that ever happened to us was that car getting nearly totally in an accident (and of course that no one was hurt) so that we can take the insurance money and run.

Runs like a champ
By johnd on 06/13/08 11:44 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought my 4- cyl turbo se special edition with BBS wheels brand new. Fun to drive, a great value for the money if you buy used. My 9-5 has 125,000 miles on it and I plan on going to 200k. Change oil with synthetic or semi- synthetic and only have had minor problems with electrical system. The panel goes bonkers sometimes but overall would buy again. Need to buy the Aero next time or Saab should make other models sportier with lowered suspension. Out handles many a surprised BMW, Audi and M-B drivers. Shock value is high.

SAAB 9-5
By Kevin on 04/22/08 08:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

Had to put in rebuilt trans at 92K, had to rebuild engine at 129K. Performed maintenance as scheduled. Very expensive car to own.

155,000 miles
By Great Car on 12/03/07 15:21 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

I've owned BMWs, Fords, Mitsubishis, an Audi and an Acura, but I'm most impressed with the SAAB. These are truly under rated cars. Mine has 155K miles. It's quick (in sport mode) great ride/handling combination. Paint and interior look nearly new. Reliability has been much better than expected. 25K MPG average is icing on the cake. Even with my miles the car feels solid and has no rattles. I change oil every 3-5K miles and change transmission oil every 30K. I've had the head bolts tightened (apparently important with 4 cylinder). Only unscheduled fix was a turbo at 140K. If SAAB would change the body style, I would buy another.

Awesome car after depreciation
By rb676 on 11/14/07 20:35 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought one two years ago with 91k miles. I have put on a little over 30k. I paid $7k and had to spend about $900 after the first month (all new belts). It's been great ever since. The headlamps burn out a little too frequently and my Theft Alarm has an annoying error. But that's fine, the harmon-kardon stereo is fantastic, the seats are as comfortable as can be, and the car just feels very smart and Scandanavian. I have one of the last Saab-Scanias. Hey... don't buy new! What can I say?

Horrible Vehicle
By Anna on 09/24/07 14:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

This vehicle by far is one of the worst made of all time. Bought for 6700 and have put just about the same into it. Engine had sludge buildup even with regular oil changes and all scheduled maintenance. Problem after problem after problem. Truly lives up to its Saab acronym of Something Almost Always Broken... buyers beware of any Saab.

Great Saab Travels
By Saab Guy on 03/22/07 13:05 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

I used to drive 20,000+ / yr and this car has been a great car. I handles like a champ and corners great. I have had to do a few costly repairs but when speaking with my friends who own BMW, Volvo and Mercedes, this car is much cheaper. On own highway the car glides on the road. If you are mechanically inclined the car is easy to work on. I started doing my own repairs and service about a year ago for fun. I can change out the spark plugs in less than 15 min. Mind you I was used to working on VW Bugs with their pancake engines, which was a hard spot to get to the cylinders. The road noise can be a little louder than competition though.