1999 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:
Broke after buying a 9-5
By janie87 on 08/20/14 11:23 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Just like many of these reviewers, I have owned a 9-5 and had to deal with a myriad of problems. I purchased the car in January 2013 and it ran well for about 6 months. Then the fuel pump exploded twice and the carborater needed replacing. And this was just the beginning.... $4000 later (over a period of 8 months), the car ran well for about 4 months, before the engine gave up and the mechanics couldn't determine the underlying issue.

First Car & $4,500 Loss
By eurodrive25 on 04/01/14 22:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 9-5 as my first car from a sleazy car dealer with 132k miles. It looked great and was unique. I loved it at first. First week I had to replace the emission tubes. About 2 weeks later as I was getting dressed for work it died in the driveway. I rolled into the street, blocking traffic and looked like an idiot pushing my car back into my driveway. I ran a stop sign because it stalled and luckily avoided a collision. It cost me tons to fix fuel pump, spark plugs, and carburetor. Weeks after that the timing belt broke on my way to work. On the busiest street possible of course. About $3000 to fix. Sold it for $800. Had it for 4 months, made 3 payments. Lost 4k. Own a 9-3 now.

STAY AWAY
By tiffm on 12/13/11 17:55 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Listen to the warnings before purchasing this car! This car is not worth the headaches you will more then likely endure. I purchased this car with 85K miles in March of 2011. I was carpooling with a group of peers so I drove the car for ONE full week during that first month. On day 34, my engine seized. I replaced that engine. Since then, I have also replaced numerous belts, sensors, pumps. Every 3-4 weeks this car was in the shop and needed a new overpriced part that was impossible to find. Engine failure is a common problem with this year as I have learned the hard way. The engine I purchased to replace the original one seized on us recently as well. Please save your $$ and think twice!!

2nd Saab.....Not my last
By capt_slow on 03/15/11 17:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Sold my 9000 Aero with 155K miles and bought a 1999 9-5 2.3T wagon with 120K. Absolutely love it as my commuter car. All options still work and is still nice and quiet. I have however had lot of vacuum problems. Replaced the turbo bypass valve, vacuum hoses, and fixed brake booster lines(Did all the work myself with the help of a friend so very inexpensive). Other than that nothing beats this car on performance and gas mileage. I get a couple mpg's better than my 9000 Aero. My family is full of Saabs and thats for a reason. Fantastic cars if you keep up on maintenance. Hoping to get a newer 9-3 after this 9-5.

Sobbing over my SAAB
By roland11 on 12/31/10 20:33 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Thought I did enough research before purchasing, I was wrong. The car is wonderful when everything is working properly. Which was about 2 weeks! Have done more repairs than I can list here. Parts are often hard to come by and expensive! Unfortunately, Saab quit employing Aircraft engineers decades ago. I'm an aircraft mechanic and I have no doubt their early models held up best because of their aviation background. I'm convinced their partnership with GM was their ultimate downfall. If you already bought a 9-5, Four words: CHANGE THE OIL OFTEN! Change the ATF or manual GB oil often as well! Do maintenance yourself if possible. Mechanics hear "SAAB" and they see $$$$

Fun, Quick, Safe, Comfy Piece of Crap
By Purveyor of Vehicles on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

So it's very safe, very comfortable, very fun to drive, pretty quick and all around enjoyable car to drive. However, it was designed poorly and is unreliable and puts a permanent pipeline from your wallet to the mechanic.

SAAB Story
By Kevin on 08/29/10 18:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

This car when running is great. But it breaks at the drop of a hat and it is a thousand here and a thousand there. Luckily I can wrench on it myself and save some money. Expect to replace and engine and expect GM to flip you off unless you live in Europe. They honor the warranty there.

Lucked out.
By Austin on 08/13/10 23:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

I bought mine in 2008 with 100k and now have 190k. Biggest expense was fuel pump at about 150k. I still have the clutch I bought it with and have had no prob with turbo yet. Change oil every 3 to 5k at the cheap places but sometimes my independent SAAB Tech or the SAAB dealer. I have a back up Ig. cass. but still haven't had to use it. Even the pixels on the SID aren't too bad either. I did have some belts break and that broke open an oil line ($1,000 fix). Not as reliable or as trouble free as our 2000 Camry but much more fun though.

Fantastic 'in-betweener'
By Kiwidude on 07/04/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

We've had our 95 for 5 years now and love it to bits, the whole family loves it. It is a great alternative to a Toyota Camry (or similar) as it is much nicer, has more style and 'feels' much better than the standard Japanese plastic box. It isn't at the same level as a BMW 5 or Audi A6 but neither is the price so what you get is a lovely solid car that does everything reasonably well at a great price. People moan about how it doesn't have the performance of a BMW 5 etc but it doesn't have the price either so! If you want a solid well performing comfortable car look no further. Mine has been reliable but like all cars you can find owners who disagree.

Like the car very much but...
By kb on 11/19/09 21:53 PM (PST)

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Second SAAB purchased. First a 1995 900s. I like it so much I thought I will buy another. The 1999 95 is a sweet machine!!! Fast, comfortable, safe, quiet with a lot of storage and it looks good sitting in the garage which is usually where it is cause it hardly ever runs. Before 100,000 miles 2 turbos, water pump, alternator, crank sensor, battery, engine temp sensor, transmission safety switch. Check engine goes on and off so does transmission light. Nobody knows why. I researched web taken to repair centers. I am a certified mechanic. It is stuck out front of the house useless as usual. Spent over $3000 in last 20,000mi and still broke again.