Used 1999 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

A very honest car.
58,284 of 58,285 people found this review helpful
By RED

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

In three years, this car has been 99% trouble-free. The only problem has been with the electronic displays, which apparently was a common problem with the 1999. These have since been made more reliable, and the dealer has immediately replaced the ones that have caused trouble. The gas mileage with the manual 5-speed and turbo 4 cyl. has amazed me. On trips from Ohio to Colorado and New Mexico, including city and mountain driving, I've gotten 31-32 mpg.

Favorite Features

The space efficiency of the interior space layout is great. Comfortable seats, great climate control, a lot better performance than I expected.

Suggested Improvements

Aside from the displays, there's not much to complain about. The road and wind noise is more than you might expect in a car in this price range. Also, rear view could be better.

Worst Excuse for a car!
By KateBrandon

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Where do I begin? My friend and I were both looking for cars back in '99. I wound up with this piece of crap and he bought Volvo's S80 T6 (twin turbo). The Saab has been so upsetting! His car has been great! My Saab, or should I say slob has had so many repairs. Having just over 65k miles I can remember the following: Engine leaks,transmission, electrical (sensors,computers,power windows twice,display blanked out), worst a/c of any car I've owned- list goes on. My friends Volvo S80 T6 has been virtually trouble free and he's got over 80,000 miles now! His car is so much nicer to drive too and leaves my Saab in the dust! I'll never buy a Saab again!

Suggested Improvements

Slow service department and way overpriced. High maintenance! NEVER AGAIN!!! For a better car, look to a Volvo, BMW, or a Mercedes.

Okay At First But Then......
By BeetleCraze

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

When I first bought this car I did like it. I bought it used with just 11,000 miles. I just hit the 50,000 mile mark and I have dumped so much money into this car already. When it runs, it's very nice to drive. The trouble is this car breaks down way too much. This is my first Saab and certainly my last. For a better vehicle, look to Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, or Audi. The Saab is not a good choice!

Broke after buying a 9-5
By janie87

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Just like many of these reviewers, I have owned a 9-5 and had to deal with a myriad of problems. I purchased the car in January 2013 and it ran well for about 6 months. Then the fuel pump exploded twice and the carborater needed replacing. And this was just the beginning.... $4000 later (over a period of 8 months), the car ran well for about 4 months, before the engine gave up and the mechanics couldn't determine the underlying issue.

Favorite Features

Leather interior...

Suggested Improvements

Would be good to have a car that didn't stall, break down and have exploding fuel pumps

STAY AWAY
By tiffm

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Listen to the warnings before purchasing this car! This car is not worth the headaches you will more then likely endure. I purchased this car with 85K miles in March of 2011. I was carpooling with a group of peers so I drove the car for ONE full week during that first month. On day 34, my engine seized. I replaced that engine. Since then, I have also replaced numerous belts, sensors, pumps. Every 3-4 weeks this car was in the shop and needed a new overpriced part that was impossible to find. Engine failure is a common problem with this year as I have learned the hard way. The engine I purchased to replace the original one seized on us recently as well. Please save your $$ and think twice!!