Used 1999 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Broke after buying a 9-5
By janie87

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Just like many of these reviewers, I have owned a 9-5 and had to deal with a myriad of problems. I purchased the car in January 2013 and it ran well for about 6 months. Then the fuel pump exploded twice and the carborater needed replacing. And this was just the beginning.... $4000 later (over a period of 8 months), the car ran well for about 4 months, before the engine gave up and the mechanics couldn't determine the underlying issue.

Favorite Features

Leather interior...

Suggested Improvements

Would be good to have a car that didn't stall, break down and have exploding fuel pumps

First Car & $4,500 Loss
By eurodrive25

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 9-5 as my first car from a sleazy car dealer with 132k miles. It looked great and was unique. I loved it at first. First week I had to replace the emission tubes. About 2 weeks later as I was getting dressed for work it died in the driveway. I rolled into the street, blocking traffic and looked like an idiot pushing my car back into my driveway. I ran a stop sign because it stalled and luckily avoided a collision. It cost me tons to fix fuel pump, spark plugs, and carburetor. Weeks after that the timing belt broke on my way to work. On the busiest street possible of course. About $3000 to fix. Sold it for $800. Had it for 4 months, made 3 payments. Lost 4k. Own a 9-3 now.

Favorite Features

Looks great. Smooth ride and sport mode is fun. Very comfortable and roomy. Safe for a 1999. Don't see very many on the roads.

Suggested Improvements

An engine that doesn't fail and die. Costly to repair. I wish I would've parked in the street when my neighbors car got hit so I could get insurance money for it.

STAY AWAY
By tiffm

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Listen to the warnings before purchasing this car! This car is not worth the headaches you will more then likely endure. I purchased this car with 85K miles in March of 2011. I was carpooling with a group of peers so I drove the car for ONE full week during that first month. On day 34, my engine seized. I replaced that engine. Since then, I have also replaced numerous belts, sensors, pumps. Every 3-4 weeks this car was in the shop and needed a new overpriced part that was impossible to find. Engine failure is a common problem with this year as I have learned the hard way. The engine I purchased to replace the original one seized on us recently as well. Please save your $$ and think twice!!

2nd Saab.....Not my last
By capt_slow

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Sold my 9000 Aero with 155K miles and bought a 1999 9-5 2.3T wagon with 120K. Absolutely love it as my commuter car. All options still work and is still nice and quiet. I have however had lot of vacuum problems. Replaced the turbo bypass valve, vacuum hoses, and fixed brake booster lines(Did all the work myself with the help of a friend so very inexpensive). Other than that nothing beats this car on performance and gas mileage. I get a couple mpg's better than my 9000 Aero. My family is full of Saabs and thats for a reason. Fantastic cars if you keep up on maintenance. Hoping to get a newer 9-3 after this 9-5.

Favorite Features

I love the heated seats and climate control. Tons of room in the Wagon . Sport mode make the car tons of fun and I never got stuck while using winter mode.

Suggested Improvements

Less vacuum operated mechanisms. Other than that...nothing

Sobbing over my SAAB
By roland11

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Sedan

Thought I did enough research before purchasing, I was wrong. The car is wonderful when everything is working properly. Which was about 2 weeks! Have done more repairs than I can list here. Parts are often hard to come by and expensive! Unfortunately, Saab quit employing Aircraft engineers decades ago. I'm an aircraft mechanic and I have no doubt their early models held up best because of their aviation background. I'm convinced their partnership with GM was their ultimate downfall. If you already bought a 9-5, Four words: CHANGE THE OIL OFTEN! Change the ATF or manual GB oil often as well! Do maintenance yourself if possible. Mechanics hear "SAAB" and they see $$$$