Used 1999 Saab 9-5 Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saab 9-5 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Saab 9-5

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

Love my 9-5, when its running!
By Jessica Gochee

1999 Saab 9-5 SE 2.3t Turbo 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in April 2015 with 131k miles. It ran GREAT for about 2k miles then one day I hopped in it while it was parked in my driveway and wouldnt start. I had no previous issues and the breakdown came as a total surprise. Turns out the starter had gone out due to an underlying key ignition issue. I have to physically turn they key back to the "on" position immediately after starting. I believe the previous owner did not know the importance of this issue. The starter had probably alot of stress on it due to the key not always being turned back and the starter constantly turning and grinding on other things in the car. After I replaced the starter which I got pretty cheap from eeuroparts.com, it ran good for about another thousand miles. Then while I was on the interstate the car just shut off completely while I was driving with no warning signs and was stuck on the side of the road. Turns out the fuel pump went out at 132k. My dad is a certified mechanic and does all my car repairs and he has consistently been very impressed with the overall mechanical design of the car. Replacing the fuel pump was a breeze because it is located right under the back seat! Nice and easy fix. I have had other issues with a squeaky serpentine belt. But the biggest problem so far has been the oil. I do not suggest running 10W-40 like the car initially recommends. 10 weight is entirely too thick for that car and caused some clogging problems. I kept getting an oil alert warning light and couldnt figure out why because my dip stick read that the oil level was fine. Then the lifters started to tick very loudly. Luckily my dad figured out the issue before it was too late. It ended up being a simple fix with cleaning out the oil pan and drilling some bigger holes in the screen to allow oil to pass through much easier. We plan to switch to synthetic at the next oil change, which is what everyone else recommends too. Still havent fixed the ignition switch but it will be fine if you just turn the key like it is supposed to be. Overall, I couldnt have asked for a better used car! I bought it for $3250 and have put about $800 and most likely will not need to spend much more. It is so fun to drive. Stylish and unique! I get compliments everywhere I go and the turbo is so nice. The manual transmission truly makes me feel like I own a jet. The interior is far ahead of its time in terms of its technology and design. Despite these problems, I love it and want to keep it forever. I have not minded putting out the money for these repairs because my father and I are convinced that as long as we keep up the maintenance that it will run till the wheels fall off. I would tell anyone to get a saab that has been taken car of.

Broke after buying a 9-5
By janie87

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Just like many of these reviewers, I have owned a 9-5 and had to deal with a myriad of problems. I purchased the car in January 2013 and it ran well for about 6 months. Then the fuel pump exploded twice and the carborater needed replacing. And this was just the beginning....
$4000 later (over a period of 8 months), the car ran well for about 4 months, before the engine gave up and the mechanics couldn't determine the underlying issue.

Leather interior...

Would be good to have a car that didn't stall, break down and have exploding fuel pumps

First Car & $4,500 Loss
By eurodrive25

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 9-5 as my first car from a sleazy car dealer with 132k miles. It looked great and was unique. I loved it at first. First week I had to replace the emission tubes. About 2 weeks later as I was getting dressed for work it died in the driveway. I rolled into the street, blocking traffic and looked like an idiot pushing my car back into my driveway. I ran a stop sign because it stalled and luckily avoided a collision. It cost me tons to fix fuel pump, spark plugs, and carburetor. Weeks after that the timing belt broke on my way to work. On the busiest street possible of course. About $3000 to fix. Sold it for $800. Had it for 4 months, made 3 payments. Lost 4k. Own a 9-3 now.

Looks great. Smooth ride and sport mode is fun. Very comfortable and roomy. Safe for a 1999. Don't see very many on the roads.

An engine that doesn't fail and die. Costly to repair. I wish I would've parked in the street when my neighbors car got hit so I could get insurance money for it.

STAY AWAY
By tiffm

1999 Saab 9-5 SE V6t 4dr Sedan

Listen to the warnings before purchasing this car! This car is not worth the headaches you will more then likely endure. I purchased this car with 85K miles in March of 2011. I was carpooling with a group of peers so I drove the car for ONE full week during that first month. On day 34, my engine seized. I replaced that engine. Since then, I have also replaced numerous belts, sensors, pumps. Every 3-4 weeks this car was in the shop and needed a new overpriced part that was impossible to find. Engine failure is a common problem with this year as I have learned the hard way. The engine I purchased to replace the original one seized on us recently as well. Please save your $$ and think twice!!

2nd Saab.....Not my last
By capt_slow

1999 Saab 9-5 2.3t 4dr Wagon

Sold my 9000 Aero with 155K miles and bought a 1999 9-5 2.3T wagon with 120K. Absolutely love it as my commuter car. All options still work and is still nice and quiet.
I have however had lot of vacuum problems. Replaced the turbo bypass valve, vacuum hoses, and fixed brake booster lines(Did all the work myself with the help of a friend so very inexpensive). Other than that nothing beats this car on performance and gas mileage. I get a couple mpg's better than my 9000 Aero. My family is full of Saabs and thats for a reason. Fantastic cars if you keep up on maintenance. Hoping to get a newer 9-3 after this 9-5.

I love the heated seats and climate control. Tons of room in the Wagon . Sport mode make the car tons of fun and I never got stuck while using winter mode.

Less vacuum operated mechanisms. Other than that...nothing