2009 Saab 9-3 Consumer Review: Better than a subaru? Time wi

2009 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Review

Comfort Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Automatic)

Better than a subaru? Time will tell.
By jp-stl on

2009 Saab 9-3 Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

We purchased a 2008 93 for my wife two years ago so when it was time for my new vehicle I was comparing Legacy vs 93. The 93 was on a steep price cut due to GM selling Saab. Paid 22K. It has features which would have cost 7K on the Subaru. Now we have matching cars which should be good from a maint. standpoint since I will do it after the 3-yrs is up. My old Subaru was reliable. I hope this 93 will be, also.

Favorite Features

Handsome car. Turbo gets good mileage on highway (32-37). Comfy seats. Precise steering. Safety features (rated highly by iihs). Trunk size. Fit and finish. Refrigerated glove box! Leather seats easy to wipe (kids). Customer service @ Saab was much better than at Subaru.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is big, but the opening is small. More rear seat legroom (have to scoot front seat up for rear car seats). Idles a bit rough. Insurance higher than expected. Didn't need a sunroof. "Donut" spare-expected full size. Wish I could have found an illusive sportcombi!
By jxp293
on 10/07/12 10:37 AM (PDT)

As a followup, it's now oct 2012. Car is still driving fine. Saab has stopped covering the free three year maint since they went bankrupt. Oil changes are a pain because you have to either jack up the car or drive on ramps. The reliability has been great, no issues. Continental tires are still looking good at 30 k miles. Interior is holding up well, no visible wear on drivers seat. Gas mileage is still 33-38 mpg on highway...incredible! Two features I would change would be the annoying hvac and lights. It thinks it knows what you want and turns on defrost or ac depending on outside temperature and there is no way to drive without having lights on, either full lights or daytime running lights.