Used 2009 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Saab 93...With GM Warranty
By rtp_owner

2009 Saab 9-3 Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

First (and I'm guessing last SAAB). Very happy with this car. Purchased a "stripped down" model at the going out of business sale - did not get the BIG deals that others claimed to have gotten, but I did get a 0.0% loan!! 6 speed manual - overall car is very good. It's comfortable and good on long trips. I average 30 MPG COMBINED in the real world - pretty psyched about that - I will generally be in the high 30's on the highway. That's great mileage. I don't play boy racer, and generally only go about 5 MPS above posted limits on the highway which probably helps my mileage. Back seat is tight. Fold down rear seats nice. Rear air vents are nice. GM warranty is nice.

Favorite Features

Good reliable - starts every time lol. Comfortable front sears. Read about torque steer, but seems no worse than other FWD cars I have owned (i.e. Audi A4 with turbo).

Suggested Improvements

Manual is a little bit notchy. Radio could have a little more oomph. Parts orders are a bit sketchy. Only problem I have had is passenger door window can be a little bit sticky - new seal on order for 4 months. Thankfully that's the ONLY mechancial problem. You can tell a car is pretty good when the cupholders are the issue. The console holder is OK but not great, and the dash mounted holder is fun to watch and play with but really isn't practical for use.

ok car for the money, very reliable!
By chris_gallucci

2009 Saab 9-3 XWD 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Performance: great in snow! turbo lag is very high though Comfort: over roads freshly paved-perfect, anything else-horrid! Value: compared to other cars I have driven/ ridden around in it is not the best, seats are rock hard Fun to Drive: Oh yeah! Interior Design: great the first year it was out, but got old fast Exterior Design: they are like Chevy, they keep almost the same design for a few years, then finally get the idea that people want to see something new Build Quality: the best, except for a tank, I was behind a dump truck hauling logs (one lane road) it dropped a log 6" in diameter, I ran it over, the car suffered no damage Reliability: I can do everything at home (change oil, etc.)

Favorite Features

Too many to list with only 700 Characters!

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality:LESS PLASTIC please!

my headache...
By antonio787

2009 Saab 9-3 Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After three months of use my car started with a noise in the front suspension upon riding over street bumps. I made an appointment and my car was taken for service and repair March 22, 2010. Mileage: 4849. The car was ready the same day. First maintenance done. After a few months the noise in the front suspension started again. Also a new noise started at the driver's seat. I made another appointment. On June 7, 2010 the car was taken for repair again. Mileage: 8644. The car was seven days at the shop. out of shop June 14, 2010. The noise persisted at the suspension and this time was stronger. I took the car the 8th of July, 2010 for evaluation and a loosen knob at the bushing was found and fixed the same day. On September 20th, 2010 my battery died and they changed same day for a new one. Same day service. Mileage: 13344. This same day the car was re-evaluated by the mechanics because the noise in the front suspension and in the driver's seat decreased but were still present. Another appointment was done and the parts were ordered. Appointment was done for the first day of November, 2010. My car was at the shop until November 4th and the parts were never available, so they did not fixed the car. Only thing done was the maintenance check up. Mileage: 14969. Appointment follow up for parts previously ordered was given for November 15, 2010. I picked up the car Friday 19th of November. Still the car was with the same noise in the front suspension and at the driver's seat. On Monday 22 of November another visit to the shop was done. In view that this was a short week (due to Thanksgiving holiday) they gave me another appointment for service for the 29th of November. The service light was not reset and it was ON at all times. The 29th of November my car went again for service for another week. Mileage: 15799. When I picked up my car Friday 3 of December the car was still with the same or worst noise in the front suspension and at the driver's seat. Total of visits for the same problems: 6 Total of days in shop for repairs and evaluation: 20 days Problems unresolved: Front suspension noise and driver's seat noise I use my car on daily basis for work. For me is important to have a save car. This noises are obnoxious and persistent. Every time the car is in the shop they change a different part of the front suspension as if they were guessing what the car problem is. The front seat cushion has been replaced twice. The truth is that they have never fixed any of these two noises.

2009 9-3
By Bill Adams

2009 Saab 9-3 Touring 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my Saab in Dec. 09 and got a steal of a deal. Took it on it's first long trip last month 1,800 miles. Fuel economy was excellent (31.8-32.4) on regular gas with cruise at 80 mph. This car drives like a dream however the front seats really need work, our 2010 Jetta has superior seat comfort. This is well made car with a great engine and handling. Although this is my first Saab it may not be the last.

Favorite Features

Auto headlights and rain sensing wipers, brilliant. Power at any speed, looks, fun to drive, runs just fine on 87 octane, great in snow, lots of safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Front seat comfort, they are flat for long drives. A cargo net, please! How much can one of those cost, I can buy a 12k Kia and get one, come on Saab.

Saab safety
By wendy cordrey

2009 Saab 9-3 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Lucky for me I purchased my 2009 SAAB when they were clearing them out. I love it and I must say that it has kept me safe. It has definitely stopped me from getting into 2 accidents within a 1 month period. Today, I was hit in the rear end by a SUV and the car and I did very well. I expected the rear-end to be crushed when I got out of the car. It was minimally damaged and I was shocked. Very impressive! I will buy another Saab in the future because I cannot put a price on my families safety.