Used 2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Young man's sport sedan
By Brian

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

XWD, six-speed manual really make this car fun. It tracks very well in the snow and ice. It rides hard, even over medium quality metro freeways. So much so that on one bump I was tossed upward in the car and hit my head on the ceiling. I have been known to grunt in anticipation of road bumps. Maybe this is because of my bad back and age 43. I had an '87 Saab 900S several years ago in my youth and loved it. My new Saab is fast and fun to drive on smooth roads, but I may have bitten off more than I can chew. A loaded Accord would have been a better choice for me. Discounts made the car affordable, but I anticipate reliability will be below average; it's in the shop as I write this review.

Seats are comfortable. Aggressive driving manners. Unique exterior styling and colors. Seat color combo of parchment leather and black inserts is attractive. Front and headlights are stylish. Ignition key on floor. Nifty pop-out beverage holder in front. Panel light shut-down at night option.

Gas mileage poor; I get 19 mpg in combined highway and suburban driving. Interior room is lacking (but I guess it is a sports sedan). Too many GM markings (radio and some other dash controls). Interior quality, including leather. Hard closing trunk.

Great Car!
By otto

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan Aero 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I own a Saab 9-3 Aero XWD 6M. I have owned six BMWs. While BMWs handle more neutrally, the Saab makes more power for much less than a comparable BMW (328/335 xi). I would have to purchase a near fully loaded 335xi to get this much comfort, convenience, and performance at a cost of nearly $13k more. If you pay anywhere near sticker for these cars you are paying way too much. Wait for a GM year end sale. BMWs are priced nearer selling price. Still, I prefer the Saab regardless. BMW's I-drive, run flat tires, and depreciation (net loss) were the final straw with me. I want a car that is fun to drive up to 9/10th, and this Saab delivers. I do not plan on racing this Saab.

Smooth quiet seemless power (280 hp), all wheel drive, 6 speed manual, fun to drive, tight and well finished, Bose Center Point, comfort, carrying capacity, room for tall driver, non- cookie cutter design, <3k rpm at 85mph, excellent warranty and free 3/36 service, distinctive without pretence.

Lacks locking gas cap, and needs better cup holders. This is a fine car!

Saab 93 2-9 months out of the lot
By tofutel

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After 2 months, the shift knob gets sticky. Sticky shifting gets worst when in cold weather but very smooth when outside temperature is warm or when car gets a good 5 minute warm up. This is still a fairly new car! I've had this car for 9 months now. Since then, I had brought the car back for service repair on the electronics on the window, the static on the speakers, sticky moonroof, and a flat tire. Other than that, car drives very good. there is power when you need it.

Bose sound system; responsiveness of the wheels.

Brighter foglights and headlights. Needs a safety kit regardless if it comes with OnStar or not.

2008 9-3 2.0t Sport Sedan
By magnetic1

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The styling is great (int and ext) and elegant. After many test drives, there is nothing with more punch/dollar. Performance is impressive for 4cyl turbo. Peak torque and hp at low rpms means accessible speed. You're flying before you know it. Some turbo lag, but prep to ~2500 rpm and it's a rocket. Too much body roll on corners, but grip on the road seems unaffected. Mine is AT, but the MT is a joy. You've got to drive it even if not buying. Love the brakes...lots of expression. As always with Saab, the controls become intuitive. Radio and climate aren't impressive. Some interior items feel cheap. Not bad for the money though. Like the gauges and SID in front. Love the car. No regrets.

Easy power. Fun drive. Expressive starts and stops. Stylish. Great value with rebates. The best feature is the look of envy from people in the cookie-cutter BMWs that paid $10k+ more than I did.

Higher quality interior components. Bluetooth (fixed in 2009). Better standard sound. The arm rest is too high and forward in my opinion...something contrary to an old Saab safety axiom of not having "spleen killers." Move window controls back to the center!

1st Saab,will not be my last
By LuvMySaab

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! Very quick, handles well. I do a lot of driving, and the seats are the most comfortable. Interior is very ergonomic. I am 6'1'', and I have more than enough room in the front for myself. The interior is quirky, but everything is conveniently located. I have the stick, and it is as smooth as silk. Passing on the highway leaves others in the dust with the turbo. Sure there is a lag, but who doesn't have one? I have been told by a Saab mechanic who used to work at 1 of the dealerships on LI, now in biz for himself that GM has "ruined Saab". I just can't tell.

Comfortable seats, ergonomic dash, sleek look, quickness, and interior room

Fog lights, electronic passenger seats w/memory, and get rid of the stupid cup holder that pops out of the dash.