Used 2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

Saab 93 2-9 months out of the lot
By tofutel

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After 2 months, the shift knob gets sticky. Sticky shifting gets worst when in cold weather but very smooth when outside temperature is warm or when car gets a good 5 minute warm up. This is still a fairly new car! I've had this car for 9 months now. Since then, I had brought the car back for service repair on the electronics on the window, the static on the speakers, sticky moonroof, and a flat tire. Other than that, car drives very good. there is power when you need it.

Favorite Features

Bose sound system; responsiveness of the wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Brighter foglights and headlights. Needs a safety kit regardless if it comes with OnStar or not.

2008 9-3 2.0t Sport Sedan
By magnetic1

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The styling is great (int and ext) and elegant. After many test drives, there is nothing with more punch/dollar. Performance is impressive for 4cyl turbo. Peak torque and hp at low rpms means accessible speed. You're flying before you know it. Some turbo lag, but prep to ~2500 rpm and it's a rocket. Too much body roll on corners, but grip on the road seems unaffected. Mine is AT, but the MT is a joy. You've got to drive it even if not buying. Love the brakes...lots of expression. As always with Saab, the controls become intuitive. Radio and climate aren't impressive. Some interior items feel cheap. Not bad for the money though. Like the gauges and SID in front. Love the car. No regrets.

Favorite Features

Easy power. Fun drive. Expressive starts and stops. Stylish. Great value with rebates. The best feature is the look of envy from people in the cookie-cutter BMWs that paid $10k+ more than I did.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality interior components. Bluetooth (fixed in 2009). Better standard sound. The arm rest is too high and forward in my opinion...something contrary to an old Saab safety axiom of not having "spleen killers." Move window controls back to the center!

1st Saab,will not be my last
By LuvMySaab

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love this car! Very quick, handles well. I do a lot of driving, and the seats are the most comfortable. Interior is very ergonomic. I am 6'1'', and I have more than enough room in the front for myself. The interior is quirky, but everything is conveniently located. I have the stick, and it is as smooth as silk. Passing on the highway leaves others in the dust with the turbo. Sure there is a lag, but who doesn't have one? I have been told by a Saab mechanic who used to work at 1 of the dealerships on LI, now in biz for himself that GM has "ruined Saab". I just can't tell.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, ergonomic dash, sleek look, quickness, and interior room

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights, electronic passenger seats w/memory, and get rid of the stupid cup holder that pops out of the dash.

Excellent value if the price is right
By SaabstudentDoc

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After owning an 03' 9-5 Aero that was totaled while nobly saving my wife and me from any bodily harm I was eager to get back into the seat of a Saab. I was not able to afford another 9-5, but the 08 9-3 was nothing I "settled" for. The fuel efficiency is fantastic! I am getting 33 mpg on the highway and mixed city/highway I am averaging 26mpg (mostly city). The 9-5 I owned was an Aero and while the difference is noticeable, this car is more than ample. One word - turbo. My wife has a TSX, while this does not have the xenons and moonroof standard, this is more fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The eyebrow like LED beam above the headlights, turbo, keyless key fob, fuel efficiency on 87 octane.

Suggested Improvements

Xenon and moonroof standard, better sounding radio system. Although it sounds much better with the iPhone plugged into the aux jack

(I thought) it's what I wanted.
By BV

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I don't mean to be a spoiler to all the positive reviews - this is a nice car. I guess the problem is I had my last Saab (89 900T) way too long. It was the newer (after 2003) body style that really attracted me - I think it's a great looking car. However, I'm not into the white & chrome tail lights that came in 2008. It drives very well, power comes on quickly, quietly and before you know it your over the speed limit. But the seats are too wide and I slide around in corners. Most dissapointing it that it seems to be more GM than a Saab. Flimsy cup holders and console lid. On a recent business trip, I noticed my Chevy Cobalt rental car has the exact same radio as my $25K Saab. Uhh!

Favorite Features

Looks nice. Good, smooth power. Rides smoothly, quietly.

Suggested Improvements

Divorce GM. The headrests should have better adjustability they completely block rear vision. Automatic wipers drive me crazy - let me set the interval speed! Better quality interior accessories.