Used 2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:

What a fun car
By turnlund

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased a used 9-3 sedan a few months ago with the base 2.0T engine. I've owned a few high performance cars and this one is the most fun. The only the thing the two BMWs I owned/own (a '95 540i and '08 535i respectively) have over this car is acceleration at 85+ MPH.

Handling, pep, comfort, clean interior and exterior design.

Earned Respect
By saabtech

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had never planned on buying a Saab and in fact all I could remember at the time was how ugly the older Saabs looked. A friend of mine had a 2005 Saab 9-3 and the first time I rode in it I was truly surprised. It was far from the hatchback design of the S900 and it was quick and had nice fit and finish. This began my passion for these cars. I have driven a 2005 9-3 2.0T a 2006 9-3 aero, and two different 2008 9-3 2.0T. All the cars I had were great although I did experience less than stellar performance in the Pirelli and Continental tires that they were putting on the cars until 2008 when the TMPS sensor option was included. I have been very pleased with the reliability of all the cars I owned and feel that the 2008 and up Model Years to have the best long term reliability. This is why I went ahead and purchased one after my lease on my first 08 9-3 ended. The overall fuel efficiency of this car is excellent and seems to beat many other makes for the power output that it gives. I worked for VW and Audi and have driven many of their cars and just donít feel that their 2.0T has as much power as the 9-3. Even though the 2.0T for Audi and VW has been rated very high I know internally that there are still issues with oil consumption and slug in models that this engine has been used in, and thatís why I would never purchase anything containing their 2.0T. The new styling in 08 really for me was a winner. I had appreciated the older design, but wasnít a fan of all the plastic rubbing strips and trim that was visible on the outside of the car. I was happy to see that the facelift was focused on the outside and left the interior relatively untouched. The only thing that I wish had been standard on the 2.0T is visible sports exhaust, and xenon option. I really enjoy the interior and the only thing I would have like to see is a little less plastic and more leather covered surfaces like on the door handles and the front panel that surrounds the radio and instrument cluster. The leather Iíve noticed stays in good condition if you maintain it, however if you donít after about 100,000K the driverís seat gets pretty rough looking. In older VW models that have leather it holds up much better probably due to several seemed portions on the seat bottoms rather than one large piece that tends to get stretched like in the 9-3.

I do lots of Mnt. Biking and kayaking so the roof rack slots on top are a huge plus. The roof rack was also available through parts and was not terribly expensive and looked great and was sturdy. I like the trunk space as it is very spacious. I like the aux jack as I listen to mostly music on my MP3 player. I like the steering wheel controls as they are well placed and make sense. Love the rain sensing windshield wipers. The xenon self leveling and cornering headbeams amaze my friends as well.

First Two Years have been Great
By jp

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my 2T Sedan for 2+ years and its been great. Comfortable, even with two car seats in the back. Fully loaded for vacation there is plenty of room. The car gets ~24 mpg in the city (worse when my wife drives it) and ~34 mpg on the highway at a comfortable 65-70 mph. Leather interior is easy to clean when the kids spill food/drinks. So far reliability has been impeccable...knock on wood because servicing will be pricey on this car. Useful speed warning feature as you can pass 70+mph easily. We bought a 2nd Saab (2009 2T Sedan) when it looked like Saab was going under. Look forward to 2013 redesign although not in the market. Wish Saab would remove some features and sell for ~20K.

Small yet safe; good fuel economy; not as common as other cars (civic/corollas, etc.); bright headlights; strong windshield washer pressure; a beautiful car to look at.

Small Trunk opening; maddening HVAC controls as they turn on/off as they see fit; generic GM radio; low front air dam can hit curbs.; backseats need a touch more legroom; prefer manual headlights (and headlight/windshield washers); 3 yr maint. plan should cover tire rotation. Wish I had a sportcombi!

SAAB Strikes Gold In 2008 - 2011 Models
By Kohlbee

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 5 SAABs - a 1983 900, 1989 900 S, 1990 900 S convertible and 1997 900 S convertible. The 2008 has zero remaining interior parts from its original designs, aside from the headlight and windshield washer logos printed on the corresponding controls. The 2008 thus far has had zero issues or electrical problems that were found in previous models. The quirkiness is thankfully still part of SAAB's design; its ignition, is located in the middle console, similar to the original floor concept. The Swedish flavor is still present, as is its outstanding and unusual exterior design. I would recommend SAAB redesign the rear to = original SAAB concept, versus its current generic square format.

The exterior design is very nice. The front of the vehicle still carries a SAAB flavor, while the rear is more compact with its clear tail lights. The seats are very comfortable and safe. The interior controls are designed after the classic 9000/9-5 versus the 900/9-3, which = lost original appeal.

Standard window tinting. Focus on SAAB 900 interior's best features, versus 9000 blueprint when designing interior. The 2008 - 2011 plastic dashboard = cheaper feel than older models. (Volvo, GM, etc., = same plastics problem). Prefer old dashboard design, which = airplane format = easier for user.

Superb
By Tyler

2008 Saab 9-3 Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Cross shopped with the A4 and 3 Series. It's a real head turner with performance to match. Very tight build quality and mileage is great. As good as a compact executive vehicle can be.

Comfortable seats and overall fit and finish. Tilt/telescoping wheel is great as are the 'eyebrow' headlights. Very quiet cabin and constant looks I get from other drivers. This is a very classy automobile.

Five speed auto isn't as suave as offerings from Audi and BMW. Fit and finish is as good or better than Lexus and Infiniti but still trail Audi, MB and BMW. I hope the sedan is one of the offerings for the next-gen 9-3 due in 2013.