2008 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
What a fun car
By turnlund on 08/06/12 10:29 AM (PDT)

2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased a used 9-3 sedan a few months ago with the base 2.0T engine. I've owned a few high performance cars and this one is the most fun. The only the thing the two BMWs I owned/own (a '95 540i and '08 535i respectively) have over this car is acceleration at 85+ MPH.

Earned Respect
By saabtech on 12/07/11 07:30 AM (PST)

2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had never planned on buying a Saab and in fact all I could remember at the time was how ugly the older Saabs looked. A friend of mine had a 2005 Saab 9-3 and the first time I rode in it I was truly surprised. It was far from the hatchback design of the S900 and it was quick and had nice fit and finish. This began my passion for these cars. I have driven a 2005 9-3 2.0T a 2006 9-3 aero, and two different 2008 9-3 2.0T. All the cars I had were great although I did experience less than stellar performance in the Pirelli and Continental tires that they were putting on the cars until 2008 when the TMPS sensor option was included. I have been very pleased with the reliability of all the cars I owned and feel that the 2008 and up Model Years to have the best long term reliability. This is why I went ahead and purchased one after my lease on my first 08 9-3 ended. The overall fuel efficiency of this car is excellent and seems to beat many other makes for the power output that it gives. I worked for VW and Audi and have driven many of their cars and just don’t feel that their 2.0T has as much power as the 9-3. Even though the 2.0T for Audi and VW has been rated very high I know internally that there are still issues with oil consumption and slug in models that this engine has been used in, and that’s why I would never purchase anything containing their 2.0T. The new styling in 08 really for me was a winner. I had appreciated the older design, but wasn’t a fan of all the plastic rubbing strips and trim that was visible on the outside of the car. I was happy to see that the facelift was focused on the outside and left the interior relatively untouched. The only thing that I wish had been standard on the 2.0T is visible sports exhaust, and xenon option. I really enjoy the interior and the only thing I would have like to see is a little less plastic and more leather covered surfaces like on the door handles and the front panel that surrounds the radio and instrument cluster. The leather I’ve noticed stays in good condition if you maintain it, however if you don’t after about 100,000K the driver’s seat gets pretty rough looking. In older VW models that have leather it holds up much better probably due to several seemed portions on the seat bottoms rather than one large piece that tends to get stretched like in the 9-3.

Me and my Aero
By beefa on 11/10/11 08:55 AM (PST)

2008 Saab 9-3 Aero 2dr Convertible (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Absolutely love this car. Had mine for two years now as a daily driver. I put 100 miles a day on the car and my drive is the best part of my day. Great performance out of the 2.8T 6 cyl, matched with the manual 6 speed. The car accelerates effortlessly. No slowing down in the corners, the car holds the road while the seats keep me steady and comfortable. This truly is a FUN car to drive. Gas mileage is better than expected.

Total Drivers Car
By beren on 07/01/11 15:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Saab 9-3 Turbo X 4dr Sedan AWD (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car on day -1 and now 50K miles later I can say I'm glad I did. As a total package this car cannot be beat. Does it go 0-60 with an M3 - no of course not. As a total experience this car rocks - decent off the line performance, great handling, no bling-bling crap, and a decent back seat.

A fine car - overlooked by consumers and reviewers alike
By carter63 on 02/22/11 21:28 PM (PST)

2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm 5'9" / 160lbs, btw I owned a '99 SAAB 9-3 for 11 years and replaced w/ this car. Tho a SAAB owner, I wasn't very impressed with the prior 9-3...this one is better. Seats B: Prior 9-3 was an A+ perfect Handling B/A: I love the light steering touch, but the sport suspension is jouncy. Revised new rating with addition of Bilstein HD dampers & 3pt undercarriage brace. Interior A: Old school SAAB charm Exterior A: Outstanding Hauling B+: Good use of space for gear Mileage C: City - 17mpg / Hwy 26.4 (w/500lbs of occupants & luggage: 500mi journey on I5 in California; 60 degree weather, traveling 72mph on cruise) Brakes B: They work, but have GM spongy feel with pulsing ABS at work

First Two Years have been Great
By jp on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've owned my 2T Sedan for 2+ years and its been great. Comfortable, even with two car seats in the back. Fully loaded for vacation there is plenty of room. The car gets ~24 mpg in the city (worse when my wife drives it) and ~34 mpg on the highway at a comfortable 65-70 mph. Leather interior is easy to clean when the kids spill food/drinks. So far reliability has been impeccable...knock on wood because servicing will be pricey on this car. Useful speed warning feature as you can pass 70+mph easily. We bought a 2nd Saab (2009 2T Sedan) when it looked like Saab was going under. Look forward to 2013 redesign although not in the market. Wish Saab would remove some features and sell for ~20K.

My First Saab
By DoninVirginia on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Saab 9-3 Aero 2dr Convertible (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

After researching manufacturers such as Audi and BMW, I chose the Saab Aero Convertible. My criteria included 1) fun to drive, 2) performance, 3) curb appeal, 4) amenities, and 5) price. The 2008 Aero Convertible had it all. The 6-speed manual is fun to drive, and performs like a champ. It has a great look, small on the outside, but comfortable on the inside. I love the Xenon lights and the Bose Stereo. 2008 was the right price point. And this vehicle, steel gray with black top, had been meticulously maintained, with only minor wear noted. The key fob is also really cool. Although the interior materials may not be up to others, it is not worthy of the criticims.

SAAB Strikes Gold In 2008 - 2011 Models
By Kohlbee on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have owned 5 SAABs - a 1983 900, 1989 900 S, 1990 900 S convertible and 1997 900 S convertible. The 2008 has zero remaining interior parts from its original designs, aside from the headlight and windshield washer logos printed on the corresponding controls. The 2008 thus far has had zero issues or electrical problems that were found in previous models. The quirkiness is thankfully still part of SAAB's design; its ignition, is located in the middle console, similar to the original floor concept. The Swedish flavor is still present, as is its outstanding and unusual exterior design. I would recommend SAAB redesign the rear to = original SAAB concept, versus its current generic square format.

Superb
By Tyler on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Cross shopped with the A4 and 3 Series. It's a real head turner with performance to match. Very tight build quality and mileage is great. As good as a compact executive vehicle can be.

The other european
By Bill Anthony Resto on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Saab 9-3 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Owned Audi, Infiniti, Mitsubishi and Ford cars, the Aero has the right amount of quirkiness. Love the car's profile and manners. Very good reliability. Always wanted to have one and after almost one year of ownership do not regret the decision.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Saab 9-3 in WA is:

$154 per month*