2006 Saab 9-3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 9-3 model:
Review after one-year of ownership
By Ryan on 10/28/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am an aggressive city driver (Washington, DC). Overall, an amazing improvement from my 1999 9-3 SE, which was a disaster. The only reason I bought another Saab is because I was deployed with the army for all of 2008 and returned to my hometown (Detroit area) to a completely depressed economy. Bought this car at 12,000 miles in MINT condition for $16,000 out the door. A year later at 25,000 miles, it has not let me down. 100K / 6 years from inception bumper-to-bumper. Failures thus far have been minor. No warranty claims yet, but will drop off soon for a center console arm rest that slides too freely. My #1 gripe is the sub-par sound system and iPod input jack.

1st Time Owner - Not the Last...
By victor824 on 10/27/09 10:14 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Nice car! I was very impressed with the performance and handling. The interior worked well for me and the power delivered by the 250 hp engine was exhilarating! The windshield washer reservoir had to be replaced twice - then they came out with the recall. The back brakes created a tremendous amount of dust compared to the front. ???? Finally replaced the pads with EBC reds - problem solved. The Saab emblems peeled off after just three years but the dealer replaced them free. The turbo blew a gasket at 75000 miles and the dealer originally quoted it at $3700 but when I declined they talked to Saab and could get it done for $900. ????

Buying Saab was the worst decision of my
By Nataliya on 10/13/09 21:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I can say now confidently that buying Saab from GM was the worst decision we made with my husband so far in our lives! The car design is simply put flawed, the car is constantly breaking and each morning you are praying that your 3-year old nice looking car will start. I had 6 battery problems – each time it is something new around the battery: faulty switch, wires, corrosion, alternator, throttle motor is draining it... 5 issues with coolant system, my AC was passing smoke into the cabin since antifreeze was leaking into AC system, ESP failure, faulty gas cap, etc. Not mentioning constantly peeling exterior, cracking knobs on the dashboard, leaking washer nozzles and tank...

Don't Buy!
By Saab Stinks on 10/10/09 10:55 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Do not buy a Saab! This car is riddled w/ electrical problems! The ECM has a known defect which causes the ABS, Stability Control, Traction Control, brakes all show as failing, then the speedometer and all other dash components stop working! Only fix is to pull over and restart! Talk about dangerous. Saab knows about it and has no fix in sight. Stay clear of this junky car. Bought used 8K and have had it in the shop every month or every other month. Warranty is up in a month and so is my ownership. Time to buy a quality car. All service people at the dealer know be by name- no joke.

My 20 cents
By Ricky Sein on 10/08/09 15:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the 2006 9-3 Aero in 2009. It had 22,000 miles. The car looks very nice, it's lots of fun to drive. It is faster than most of the similar priced European makes (which are usually more expensive). The 2-tone leather interior with silver trims look sporty and modern. The 2.8 V6T does consumes significant amount of fuel, which can add up, specially if you follow the owner's manual requirement of premium fuel only. Overall, I love it!

Power, Style, and Prestige
By Juice22 on 09/22/09 15:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car after looking at BMW, Lexus, and Audi. We chose the Aero with the Six-Speed manual tranny after testing out the 2.0 automatic, which was great, but a little twitchy in response for me. The Aero definitely has a better low-end and the manual tranny means I get to control it exactly as I want. This is by far one of the most enjoyable cars to drive. The Turbo is better than most other cars I've driven. It always turns heads and gets a lot of compliments. It's nice not seeing so many on the road as well. Just had Coolant reservoir replaced via recall. Saab service has always been strong and quick to fix any issues...of which I've had very few (replaced stereo amp).

77000 Miles and No Problems
By RogKel on 09/09/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Still a quiet, smooth ride. 2.0t has more than adequate power. Summer mileage 26 to 28 mpg on regular; winter mileage 23 to 25 in NH. No mechanical or electrical problems other than H7 low beam bulbs have a 4-6 month life expectancy. Exterior and interior have held up well. Highly recommend.

Details, details, details!!!
By CMC on 09/08/09 10:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought used in '08 w/20k miles. Has everything but nav. After 16k miles/12 months, car feels like development stopped at 85%. All the pieces are there, just not fine-tuned the last 15%. Strong drivetrain performance (2.0t w/5-speed auto), but average gas mileage (mid-20s on highway). Steering is light/fast, but ominous popping/clicking noises from front end when turning at low speed. Smooth road ride is exemplary; rough road ride is jittery/harsh. Seats are comfortable/durable; rest of interior has too much brittle plastic. HVAC/radio too button-intensive. Interior squeaks and rattles are starting. Well-designed conceptually, but execution lacking. Resale value plummeting even after 3 years.

Update to 10/28/2006 & 7/21/2006 Reviews
By Jyerka on 08/20/09 10:28 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

I have put a few years of road tripping and hauling mountain bikes and snow boards in this car, still fun to drive. (~50Kmiles) Turbo is excellent now that I have moved to Denver (5500ft.). I can drive it in the snow easily- advantage being I grew up in the snow, I was more worried about having 17" wheels. No mechanical or electrical problems, exterior and interior have held up well against rough use. No change in gas mileage, I saw an increase when moving to CO (not sure why). Useful tools and jack, I use the cargo cover at trail heads. Only worry is brakes are weak for about 30 seconds after starting car, weird.

My second Saab, still love them
By NedSlc on 07/15/09 11:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Got it with 28.000 on it a year ago, has 45.000 now, 0 problems so far (I did replace Death-Cool with Pentosin G12) SID is showing 35 Mpg (50% of my driving is freeway), not as fast as my old 9000 Aero, but I am very happy with the way it drives (took off-ramp with speed limit of 45 at 90 Mph few times). We have some snow in Utah (SLC), and I think it handles as well if not better than my old Subaru Outback with all-season Michelins, guess you have to know how to drive in the snow. It has that 300W sound system, and if adjusted right, sounds better than Bose in my friends 2007 Maxima (he himself said so), so I don't understand all the complaints.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.